The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
evilokc

identify this fuse panel?

this is a painless wiring harness from 1997 or 1998. it was installed by a jerk and is a mess. I'm doing some interior lighting now and I have found 2 schematics that list different wire colors. one is ford and one is gm. one would assume that its the gm but I really don't know how to verify that. I'm not even sure if the early painless kits were universal or if they were for ford or gm. the light in the shifter is powered by a green and a yellow wire not a green/yellow. I'm sure this is simple but before I dig through the mess of wires to locate the 2 that I need for the dome light and door switches. I'm using a stock dome, adding one light under the dash, and want them to turn on and off with door jam switches. really shouldn't be too hard.
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: identify this fuse panel?

Well it is apparent that the guy who installed or put it in wasn't into having everything neat and orderly as far as wiring goes.

As far as universal of brand specific that primarily goes with what ignition system you have, what alternator you have and what turn signal switch you have. More for the turn signal switch hookup and alternator connectors in those days than anything else.

As far as how the individual put the wiring in before, from everything I read on here and other boards most guys would rather go do the yard work that their wife has been harping about than do the wiring on their trucks. It takes a lot of patience to do it extra neat and orderly. That might take looking at it with a serous though of how you can straighten it out to be right without just pulling out the wire cutters and start cutting as that isn't productive.

I think right now I'd be sending the Painless tech support an email with a clearer photo of the fuse block asking if they have the correct wiring diagram for that model of harness. Explain just what you did here in that you believe it was installed in that time frame and that you really need a wiring diagram that would be correct.

That said I'd think that besides the year and model specific replacement harnesses you will find that most Painless harnesses were the same as far as what wire goes where for years on end. They are normally GM color coded as are most aftermarket harnesses and as I said before the connectors on the end of the wires going to specific items determine if they are intended for Ford, GM or Mopar in a vehicle.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
gag1025

When I bought my truck the guy who put it together used inline fuses for all hookups. Talking about a mess. Under my dash and under the hood it looked like a bowl of spaghetti. I bought an American Auto Wire system and it could not have been any easier. Now everything is neat and out of site. You see very few wires in the dash area as well as under the hood. We did create a wiring system to install a toggle switch (placed it in the glove box to hide it) that allows us to turn the electric radiator fan to run when we flip the switch. This involved adding a diode in the circuit. It works great. When the switch is in the off position the fan operates as it should once the temp gets to the thermostat temperature. We also added two under dash lights that come on when the headlight switch is turned. It is all about creating what you want and having fun while doing it. Plus we mounted the fuse panel under the dash on the firewall so that it would be mounted and not just hanging down. The only this the fuse box did not have was a cover. That would have been nice to dress it up a little. However, you cannot see it unless you get down and look up under the dash.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
mr48chev

I had to trouble shoot the wiring on a street rod that was wired that way once gag1025. What a pain in the Keester. Worse than that was the fact that the guy who did it originally didn't follow through with the color coding of the wire all the way on a run. You might have a blue wire leaving a switch on a circuit and where he ran out of wire he changed to yellow or black. Nothing on the car was colorcoded as far as actually color codes go.

Then there is my best friend's roadster back in the late 70's that was 100% wired with red wire. Correct gauge of wire but every wire in the car was red because the builder had gotten a deal on a few large rolls of red wire. I had to figure out the tail lights laying on the ground in a parking lot one night. I had the flash light, test light and knowledge to use them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
evilokc

I sent painless tech an email earlier today. I'm hoping that leads me where I need to be. I pulled the panel down and looked on the back of the "dome" fuse and there is only one wire. it looks black but could easily be black/blue. I hooked it up to the dome light and grounded it and it popped the fuse. so there is that. I'm not sure what that was about but it was probably my fault. the wiring is a mess. it looks like he hooked up the few wires he needed then tried to tie all the rest in some sort of knot. I'm going to do what I can to clean it up and will be able to mount it higher on the fire wall so its out of sight. besides the lighting I'm trying to do now I cant think of anything else I need to make work. so as long as I can get this done and tuck it all out of sight I wont be annoyed for the rest of my life.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Warrens69GMC

by the flasher it says "EZ wiring", probably the company

http://www.ezwiring.com/store/viewca....php?groupid=0
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
joedoh

the dome light circuit on a gm is just a hot from the fusebox to one side of the bulb, then the other side of the bulb goes to the pin switch in the door jamb. if your pin switch only has one wire, thats how it works, if you pin switch has two wires, you ground one side and run the other to the bulb.

if you arent using pin switches you need a way to turn the dome light on and off. some headlight switches have this capability (an extra 12v+ output when you turn the dimmer all the way up), some dome lights have a switch on them (also switches the 12v+ from the fusebox). with those setups you ground the other side of the bulb.

I saw you were blowing fuses in the wdydtytt thread and thought I would stick my nose in.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
by the flasher it says "EZ wiring", probably the company

http://www.ezwiring.com/store/viewca....php?groupid=0
this is why you guys are awesome. I didn't buy or install this and I was told it was a painless. I didn't catch this. thanks.