The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Jbm1956

55-59 lowered axle & front springs

It seems like mostly everyone steers away from the lowered straight axle and the lowered leaf springs. Are they that bad too go with. Im still building my 56 chevy pickup and already have the lowered axle. Im debating on removing some leafs or buying posies hopefully removing leafs will be fine. Can you guys give me some info on why to go this route or why not to go this route. I understand ifs and all that rides so much better. But for a weekend cruiser im leaning toward the axle and springs. I appreciate all your guys help
Jbm1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: 55-59 lowered axle & front springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbm1956 View Post
It seems like mostly everyone steers away from the lowered straight axle and the lowered leaf springs. Are they that bad too go with. Im still building my 56 chevy pickup and already have the lowered axle. Im debating on removing some leafs or buying posies hopefully removing leafs will be fine. Can you guys give me some info on why to go this route or why not to go this route. I understand ifs and all that rides so much better. But for a weekend cruiser im leaning toward the axle and springs. I appreciate all your guys help
A dropped axle and or lowering springs work well. I drove miles and miles like that. On a weekend cruiser, a daily driver, it's all good. If you want to autocross it, I would say to go IRS.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Ratpin

I also think a lot of people go IFS so they can implement airbags easier since it seems almost every other truck on here is bagged. It's almost more unique now to go with a dropped axle and springs than bags.
Ratpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
agnes the dog

I kept my straight axle and really like it. Mine's not a daily, but I drive it several times a week. It's definitely not a Cadillac. But hey, I bought a 55 year old truck!! :-)

1959 3100 stepside 355 + T5
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
MARTINSR

I can't say enough, I REALLY enjoy driving my old car every day. It's a treat, I am blessed to be able to do this. I know not everyone can if they are driving long distances to work or over long bumpy roads or something, there are lot's of reasons why upgrading would be needed, I mean we DO have a choice these days, it's not 1950. But I feel blessed, I really do.

It's a choice each of us have to make on our own. I honestly think a lot of people feel you CAN'T drive these old cars on the road "theses days" like it somehow can't be done and that's just plain nuts. I have driven vintage cars for years every day, outside of a few years when I drove a Taurus SHO that I thought I HAD to have...I HAD to have AC, and the better handling and the power windows and all that. I sold a SUPER nice 65 Skylark two door hardtop because I HAD to have a modern car. I am so thrilled to be back in a vintage car.

Brian

Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Old Crow

Nice Rambler, Brian. My first car was a 3rd hand '65 Rambler American 440H. My sister had a '63 Classic wagon about that same time, and I even had a Gremlin(yeah, I'm the one)when I was in the service in '73.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
MARTINSR

Thanks, yeah I really enjoy it. It's just a driver, and not nearly as nice as it appears in the photos, and that's the great part! I just drive it and park it at the supermarket without so much as a thought, it's parked out on the street at home every night.

And the real cool thing is, it puts smiles on peoples faces. Yep, I am the gray haired old dude in the Rambler! LOL

Brian

Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Every time I think I'm out, they puulll me back!

Ha ha, you guys.

Originally I intended to use a dropped axle and Posies Super Sliders because I ALREADY have the disc brake kit new-in-a-box AND the under floor manual dual master cylinder conversion. So the axle would be $400 + a couple hundred for rebuilt kingpins and modified steering arms from Sids's plus another $400 for the Posies.

Then I got REAL into the idea of using C4 Corvette IFS & IRS using flat Out Engineering components.

If I use the dropped axle, I'd want power steering and from all I've read the available conversion kits for this are not real satisfactory.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Why do you need power steering? I mean, it's not a Ford F-100, they steer like crap. These Chevys really aren't bad at all. And again, I thought I needed all that too. This Rambler, I know it's not a big truck but it doesn't have power steering and I find that it's refreshing to feel the road like you do, when you go around a corner it's like you are doing what YOU want to do, you know what I mean?

Brian

Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Because I'm 59 and I'm not getting any younger, unfortunately.

There's a chance I'll use the truck as my daily driver after I retire - likely 3-4 years.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
dubie

After I lowered my 56 and left the stock 17" steering wheel on it with manual steering, it steers great, very little effort at all. I can even parallel park it without any work. I went with the dropped axle and mono leafs because I wanted to get it as low as I possibly could using as close to factory parts as I could. I was building a shop truck and wanted that vintage vibe to the entire thing. If you replace everything, front and rear, you'll be as much $$$ in as you would a front IFS set up, but it's all in what you want. If our roads were better and it wasn't winter here for 8 months of the year, I wouldn't even hesitate to drive this every day. When I take the truck to car shows , the first thing people do is look under it to see what kind of suspension is under and how it's lowered. Not a single person could figure out why I didn't use IFS. For me, that was all the more reason to do a dropped axle because not a lot of people do it anymore.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
?..When I take the truck to car shows , the first thing people do is look under it to see what kind of suspension is under and how it's lowered. Not a single person could figure out why I didn't use IFS. For me, that was all the more reason to do a dropped axle because not a lot of people do it anymore.
Tim,
What you've written here is exactly why I vacillate on what I'm going to do with mine. The early Ford crowd loves their stock suspension - upgraded of course with dropped axles, split wishbones, etc but many of them would never think to remove their suspensions for IFS/IRS.

I think the day is coming soon when it'll be very cool to have a disc brake, power steering (maybe R&P) on the stock; but dropped axle, and lowering springs, etc. setup. Then it may well be controversial if you "cut your truck in half" by clipping it. I don't know, I really just can't decide which way to go especially given that I already own the disc brake kit and the under frame master cylinder kit.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
jeffs56

Just thought I would bump this too get some more info on the dropped axle ride. I’m still up in the air on which route to go. The few guys that I’ve talk to that run the dropped axle like it a lot. I say I want a daily driver but I doubt it gets there. But I want it to drive nice for when I drive the truck to the beach which is about 2 hours one way. Is that do able. Thanks guys
jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Jeff, Thanks for bumping this old thread.

Going back and reading my old post from 4 years ago kinda make me laugh. Now I AM retired and 63. I went the “full Monty” meaning C4 Corvette IFS on a Flat Out Engineering cross member, PS, 4 wheel power discs, an LS engine and electronic tranny.

Now, even though I am sure it will really be fun having this truck I almost regret I took it this far. If someone offers me stupid money for it I might be tempted to sell and buy another. A straight axle, straight six cylinder truck and just make it a really clean driver like I intended to do with this one. We’ll see.

Ever since I saw these pictures of someone’s clean stocker for sale locally I have not been able to get it out of my mind. It’s what I intended to do and I got carried away.

Best of luck with your choice. - Dan
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2018, 02:17 AM   #15
MiraclePieCo

As our population advances through the generations, most of today's enthusiasts were born long after I-beam axles were superseded by IFS, and so many are unfamiliar with it and even a little afraid of it, generating misconceptions and myths about uncontrollable handling that are just plain hogwash.

At a car show I attended a fellow was selling his immaculate, show quality '40 Ford pickup equipped with every modern amenity imaginable - IFS, PS, PB, 4-wheel discs, LS motor, AC etc etc. I asked him how it drove, and his proud reply: "Like a new Lexus." I went away pitying the poor guy for never getting to enjoy the experience of driving a real old truck, smelling the old truck smell and getting the entire sensory thrill of being transported back in time.

Not criticizing high-tech trucks at all; both genres have their place, and I love them all. Those old truck rattles, shakes and wind noise can sure get tiresome on a long trip. Maybe the answer is to own two trucks, ha ha!

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 02-20-2018 at 02:38 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:33 AM   #16
jeffs56

I understand your point. Everyone has there likes and opinions stuff like that. So I keep thinking to myself can the dropped axle be all that bad. I mean the F**d trucks still use them, busses stuff like that. I get that it’s not as popular now that IFS is in the picture. But I just wondered how bad it really rides. Thanks for responding
Old 02-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #17
jeffs56

I understand your point. Everyone has there likes and opinions stuff like that. So I keep thinking to myself can the dropped axle be all that bad. I mean the F**d trucks still use them, busses stuff like that. I get that it’s not as popular now that IFS is in the picture. But I just wondered how bad it really rides. Thanks for responding
Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

People forget about the 4x4's and solid axles. Technically from a suspension standpoint, especially when in 2x4 mode, it really isn't any different that an I beam solid axle suspension. Ford and dodge still use solid front axles in the medium duty 4x4 trucks. I just converted my van to 4x4 using f350 axles, and it rides pretty good. Front and rear sway bars can make quite a difference in how solid it feels at high speed. I'm glad we kept one of the old truck projects a solid front axle, I might end up converting to 4x4 and keeping the truck in Colorado.
Posted via Mobile Device
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #19
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Has anybody ever done/seen a conversion to radius arms and coil springs or bags for the front end to replace the leaf springs? I keep thinking about that. Might not be too hard to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote