The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
summitflier

Door dissassembly

Any tricks or tips on how to remove inner door parts?
I think I have all the external screws and bolts removed.

Any secret to removing the glass from the regulator?
How to get the glass out of the door?

Also when I took the doors off, I noticed several spacing shims at the hinges
and the door latch, I don't seem to see a part for these in the usual places (i.e. LMC, Brothers, NPD, etc..) any place to get these? A part number?
05 Ram 1500 5.7L

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676545
summitflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: Door dissassembly

door dissambly is easy, its putting back together thats a PITA
unbolt the regulator the vent widow, jimmy the vent window around so you can move the door glass and un mount the regulator so that the glides slide off the widow. then pull out the vent glass at a 45 degree angle and twisted sideways after you pull out the door glass. and dont bother trying to save the rubbers on the door where the window is. theyll most likely get thrashed

Last edited by michael bustamante; 07-24-2015 at 04:51 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

If your not sure how it comes apart you better take a few hundred pictures so you can put it back together
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

You have to remove or slide back the door glass to get the vent out.

I typed this up tonight so I will post it here too...

'67-'72 Chevy & GMC vent window removal.

Remove the inside door handle and window riser handle.

Remove the door inner panel.

Remove the inner and outer window sweeps. (You can’t pull the wing window back to get it out of the door frame with them in place)

Pull the door window channel out of the door frame at the top by the wing window. (You can’t pull the wing window back to get it out of the door frame with it in place)

Remove the two ¼” machine screws at the bottom of the "rear" window channel and the ¼” machine screw from the the top of the "rear" window channel by the door latch. You can leave the channel in the door but push it back in the corner.

(If you are going to replace the window felt channel pull it all out starting up by the top of the wing window)

Roll the door window down and slide it back away from the wing window.

Remove the three small flat head screws that go through the angled part of the door frame and into the wing window, then remove the two ¼” machine screws from the bottom holes in the inner door that screw into the bottom bracket of the wing window.

From the inside of the vehicle tip the wing window back and pull it up a ways, then rotate it so that the bottom mounting bracket will slide out of the opening when you slide it all the way up and tip it toward you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for reference here is how I install my windows and vents:

There are a couple of different thoughts on this but here is how I assemble mine.

Make sure you have the new felt window channel in the wing window. But do not install the felt channel around the top and down inside the rear of the door yet.

Insert the rear door glass guide/channel into the door but don’t bolt it in place yet.

Install the door latch remote and window riser mechanisms if they have been removed.. (make sure the roller is in the track on the inside of the door)

With the window riser arms part way down (horizontal position) install the window. (you have to slide it toward the front to get it started into the roller guides) After you have the window installed roll it down, and slide it back toward the door latch. (make sure it doesn’t slide out of the track)

Insert the wing window lower bracket into the window opening from the inside of the door, about where the window and wing window meet. After it is inside the door rotate the wing window to it’s correct orientation and slide it down into place.

Put the three (I think) small flat head screws through the angled part of the door frame and into the wing window, then put the two ¼” machine screws through the bottom holes in the door inner panel and into the bottom bracket of the wing window.

Now slide the door window forward into the wing window channel.

Put the door window felt channel into the door frame starting at the top of the wing window and work your way around to the back. Be sure and push up on the felt channel as you go around the corner. Do not put it into the inside of the door yet.

Put the rear glass guide/channel up into place and put the ¼” machine screw in at the top by the door latch but do not tighten it up.

Insert the felt window channel down inside the door and press it into the remainder of the door frame and rear glass guide/channel. Push the rear glass guide/channel in against the window glass and put the two ¼” machine screws through the bottom holes in the door inner panel into the bottom bracket of the glass guide/channel. Now tighten all of the machine screws up and try the window to see how it works.

Put your new inner and outer window sweeps on and you are done. You may have to trim them slightly for length.

I hope I haven’t forgotten any steps in the process and if I have I hope someone points them out.

Any questions post 'em up....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
R.L.

Loc Doc pretty well covered it, have you tried U-Tubing it? I just changed out a aftermarket regulator which I put in a couple years ago for one that was in a old door I had out in my spare parts pile. Fun fun fun, not. A problem I've had on both of my doors were the window was really hard to roll up and down at the very top, if yours is tight at the top, it may wear your regulator out, to remedy this cut a small section of your window track felt just below the window seal, about 2-3". On my doors where the upper door is wielded to the door the inner track didn't line up perfectly so the window had a hard time with the last couple inches rolling up. I took a little channel felt out in this area and my windows work a lot better now.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
TexasLS1

I followed everything that LockDoc said, as well as this write up with pics - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157539

ALSO --- use painters tape around the window frame if you're concerned about paint scratches, and be careful of scratching the window/tint when rotating the vent window to remove it - the bottom bracket of the vent window can scratch the door glass.

Last edited by TexasLS1; 07-24-2015 at 08:05 PM.
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
TexasLS1

One other thing to check if you're replacing the regulator - regulators for 72 are different than 67-71, so you might want to confirm that your door is pre-72. I found out the hard way that my 72 truck has 70 or 71 doors once I tried to put the inner door panel back on and the window crank now sticks out further than the original regulator (the splined shaft is longer for 72). I woulda known this if I'd have paid closer attention to the door panels tho!

Last edited by TexasLS1; 07-24-2015 at 08:12 PM.
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote