The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
NEWFISHER

"if i had a nickle" or lets play "whats it worth"

I see the posts and usually think "have you done the research in your area, ebay etc." And then usually respond with a fair figure based on what I have seen on Craigs, thebay and local shows here in the NW. I am now that guy.

This 51 ish GMC caught my eye and I realy don't pay much attention to the rat rod style, but I've been known to purchase weird stuff for no reason before. Its got great patina, some rust in the usual plaaces and ok in spots that are usually suspect. The rest of the body is straight, grille bumpers etc.Interior is straight , clean and seat is good. It has a freshly re ringed and resealed 283, 4sp, 4:10 posi that sounds kiler with the fender exit caps un corked. Its bagged in the rear with manual fill but has a tank. Front is, well scary. Speedway dropped axle, home brew steering and rough rider air shocks to unlay frame to drive it. At best it needs a car clip or a IFS kit to safely enter the freeway. After seeing the mass hackery I asked the owner first "how's it handle at 65"? He says "65? Never seen 65" we laughed and I know he's honest. If it didn't have a cool stance, faded star on the door, franken welds or other stuff I find attractive right now with Fall aproaching and a project needed, I would pass. But, my wife just got back from a vaca, got a tan and a new purse so she gave me the green light to start on something. Sorry ,only one pic. It was one of those "hey that's cool, fumble my phone out of my pocket and 2 days later think I should own it"

Thanks for the ideas.....
What's it worth?

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 08-19-2013 at 11:18 PM.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
dubie

Re: "if i had a nickle" or lets play "whats it worth"

I could see it going for as low as $3000 or as high as $10,000 depending on what this guy thinks its worth. If he's never driven it on the highway, I would think he's scared of his own truck. But, you never know what it's really like until you drive it. If he built it, he obviously put in some time to get it to its current state
Posted via Mobile Device

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

It had better be priced at or under $5,000 or I'd pass. By your own admission it has some hack work and some rust. The drive train is nice - to me, but I own a 283. A lot of guys would be thinking of swapping that out for a more modern engine (I wouldn't!)

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
alaska gasser

Value is all in the eye of the beholder. Just remember cars nickle and dime you a lot! My buddy picked up a '50 Chev P/U for about $8500 and after working on it a few years, he has around $22,000 in it and it still needs body and paint.

Sounds like the front end is very scary. I can see the frame has been "c'ed" for the rearend, so it is safe to say the work there is probably going to need to be redone as well. Check out what it will cost to repair everything that is obvious and then add at least $2000 more for all the incidentals that come up after tearing into it.
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Highsider

I am with Dan on this one.
Maybe it is closer to 4k, the way it sits.
I feel you can find one with 100% of the work done, like IFS, say back in 1980, and just have to "freshen" up a few things for the 5-6k range.
Just sayin".
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
dubie

When I had my truck out for the first time a couple nights ago and I went to put some gas in it, the guy at the counter says " how much is it going to cost you to restore that thing" Then i watched his jaw hit the counter when I told him I already have $12,000 invested into it. This is the grey area on value. To someone who has put in the time, it's worth a whole lot more.
Now after re-reading your first post, I'd be more inclined to strike a low blow offer to the guy and try to get it home for as little as possible. I'm sure you could weld on a car clip or replace the steering and suspension pieces and keep the solid axle. Out back, just look for some used bags with a controller set up and you'll be rollin in style.
I'd really like to see a few more pics of this thing and the franken welds you speak of. Shots of the C notch would be nice too

I have my own franken welding to deal with in the fall when we start on the chassis work for the wifes 58 GMC. The previous owner welded a Nova clip on and didn't do it right so we have to spend hours grinding through the hubba bubba gobs of weld that he left behind in order to clean it all up and weld it properly.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
hopped up

id pass. if the owner is scared to drive it .
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
id pass. if the owner is scared to drive it .
Posted via Mobile Device
Close to what he said, it really isn't a truck as it sits but a body shell with a fresh engine that goes with it. With the lowrent front suspension setup you have to wonder what else is cobbled up that you have to fix.

You know my opinion on "patina" and for me that means an automatic 50% off the asking price deduction unless it is already priced low to begin with.

I see a 1500 to 2000 dollar project truck that has a 750.00 drivetrain in it making it worth somewhere between two and three k as is.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
NEWFISHER

All are great answers and after reading through them, it confirms what my first thoughts were when I took the pic, drove off and thought " cool truck, needs a lot". Thanks for everyone's input! The owner isn't in a hurry to sell it as he is tinkering as he goes so a $3,000 offer didn't buy it. Probably for the better
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
mr48chev

Problem is that these guys think their trucks with junk chassis are every bit as valuable as a similar body on an extremely well built chassis with a similar engine under the hood.

The chassis under that truck sounds worse than my old chassis under the 48 and I wouldn't sell it to anyone the way it is right now.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote