The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Ekliptix
Registered User
 
Ekliptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 520
Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Part 1 Video https://youtu.be/ZOTmKqEPsHo

Moving the truck into the shop


Old vs New



On the engine. Vacuum and throttle/trans cable connected.


3/4" hole drilled for O2 sensor. It's 10+ degrees above horizontal and near the collector.


Derp. Included 2.5" exhaust clamps for O2 sensor mounting don't fit my 3" exhaust. I'll need to go buy some 3" clamps:


Draining some coolant to install the new temp sensor


Temp sensor install location. May need to relocate it as I've read the reading back there can be too low.



To be continued!
__________________
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB PS, PB, Tach, A/C, Tilt.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
dennislbrooks
We can make that

 
dennislbrooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Williamsburg, Ohio
Posts: 1,379
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Am subscribed -- your dog may want another basketball.
__________________
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton Rod, 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton, 1959 GMC 1/2 ton Fleet Stepside, 1967 Chevy SWB K10, 1970 Olds 442, 1985 Corvette Coupe 4+3, 2006 Chevy 4WD W/T, 2015 Chevy Duramax reg cab 4WD W/T
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Aus69c20
Registered User
 
Aus69c20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 169
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Watching with interest. Great truck by the way.
__________________
John

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
towbar
Senior Member
 
towbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!
Posts: 494
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

I'm in for the ride, been looking at this for my 84
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
FRCvette
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: cincy
Posts: 417
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

You will really like the sniper.
__________________
_____________________________________________
There's something women like about a pick-up man

1970 c10 swb Stepside
1937 Ford Coupe Street Rod
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
aerotest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 35
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Subscribed. Planning on the same thing for my 396. Looking forward to see if the stock cleaner fits. BTW....do you know what brand those headers are?
__________________
1969 C10 Suburban Custom (Factory 396/TH400, survivor with no rust)
aerotest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
Ekliptix
Registered User
 
Ekliptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 520
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotest View Post
Subscribed. Planning on the same thing for my 396. Looking forward to see if the stock cleaner fits. BTW....do you know what brand those headers are?
For the stock air cleaner, I may need a small riser. We'll see.

Headers, here you go: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1hkr/overview/
They fit well.A little low at the collector but liveable.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
Ekliptix
Registered User
 
Ekliptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 520
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Got the fuel tank drained in to jerry cans.
Removed the mech fuel pump.
Assembled the elec fuel pump and filters.

Found a factory return line I intend to use. Need to get a fitting to step down from the 3/8" fuel hose to the 5/16" steel return line going into the fuel tank.

I intend to keep the 2 3/8" hoses (green and red below) next to each other, along the frame rail before running them up the firewall above the transmission, around the distributor into the EFI unit. I'd use the factory hard lines along the frame except they terminate way at the front by the radiator, not where I want to start running the 3/8" hose. The headers will be approx 3" away from the fuel line at the nearest point. I suspect this is OK for temps, but I'll look into something to wrap parts of the fuel hose with to protect it from heat as an extra step: https://www.amazon.ca/Heatshield-Pro...70_&dpSrc=srch

Here's the plan:


High flow mech fuel pump vs electric fuel pump.
__________________
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB PS, PB, Tach, A/C, Tilt.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 02-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
Already Gone
60+ (Old Skool Club)
 
Already Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan ,Canada
Posts: 7,525
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

subscribed
__________________
1972 C10 Custom/Deluxe 613 Highlander 350/TH350
1999 White Tahoe LS 4x2 with Z56 Police Package

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have right to do and what is right to do !!.... Potter Stewart


RIP Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Leonard60
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Leslieville alberta
Posts: 298
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Interesting subscribed
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Okie528
Registered User
 
Okie528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 44
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Beautiful Truck!

Love my sniper in my '72 Blazer 350sbc, cold starts, warm starts, throttle response, reliability! You look like you are taking your time and going about it the right way. Not sure if the return line step down will cause a problem, seems like I read something on that once, you may want to research it a little. I ran new 3/8" lines for both of mine. You probably could remove your 5/16 dump on the fuel sending unit, drill and install a 3/8" if you had too.

Here's a little unsolicited, hopefully welcome advice, might save you some time and frustration:

1. Be patient, use the Holley tech support, they were very helpful getting it set up. Let them help you, if you have a question, they have answer. I called twice before I ever started installing mine, and a few times after.

2. There's an idle table that is not listed in the install instructions that they will walk you through if you cant get your idle where you want it.

3. I always let the fuel pump cycle before I start it, warm or cold and it will bump off in a 1/2 sec every time. Restarts can stumble if you don't. (I'm using an in-tank pump so that may be a difference)

4. There's a common whistle on these in acceleration, which they will say is normal characteristic, (it's annoying, unless you like the sound of City bus turbo's). You can totally get rid of it by using the Canton part# 85-154 ($30 on amazon) 1/4" 4 hole Phenolic Carb spacer. I tried a 1/2" open spacer first and caused a big vacuum leak which led to more issues. I'm a big believer in the 1/4" Canton, its proven to work with this set up, and shouldn't cause any clearance issues, I found a lot of guys were using it to eliminate the whistle.

5. Tom Kise with Holley tech has an 11 part post that goes through the most commons issues and how to avoid them on the Holley Sniper EFI owners and tech Facebook group listed under files. Great info!

I had a few issues to work through, some due to installation mistakes, but once I got it straightened out she's been great ever since. I even turned the learning off after a few weeks (Holley Tech recommendation) and unplugged my monitor and threw it in the console. I found myself obsessing over the monitor and wasn't crazy about the look of it, just like an original looking dash.

This is just my experience, I learned a lot from guys that had already gone down this road, reading ton's of threads and facebook post, like I'm sure you are. You'll read a lot of bad stuff on the Sniper and Fitech efi's, but installed correctly they will do exactly what they are meant to do, improve reliability, throttle response, and gas mileage. But, if your engine was having problems and not running right to begin with, it might not run right with efi. If I can be of any help PM me anytime.
Okie528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
bill3rail
Registered User
 
bill3rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: LI, NY 11801
Posts: 872
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Nice pictures and detail...It gets me thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
Am subscribed -- your dog may want another basketball.
I thought I would be the only one to spot that!
__________________
1970 C10 8' Fleetside, L6 250, 3 on the Tree.
The most basic of pickup trucks!
bill3rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #13
Boog
primer is finer
 
Boog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Searcy, Ark. USA
Posts: 7,551
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

It will be interesting to compare differences in how it runs, carb vs sniper. I'm sure you made baseline mileage and acceleration notes.
I had a dog once that loved to chew on my football. He finally unlaced it and popped the inner tube.
__________________
Boog
69 Chevy stepside, 358/T350, 4.10 posi, 4.5/4 drop, rallys, poboy driver
09 Yukon SLT 4wd, 06 GMC crewcab Z71 5.3, 4.10
All GM..'nuff said,
Member of Jr Nation 88

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
Ekliptix
Registered User
 
Ekliptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 520
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie528 View Post
Beautiful Truck!

Love my sniper in my '72 Blazer 350sbc, cold starts, warm starts, throttle response, reliability! You look like you are taking your time and going about it the right way. Not sure if the return line step down will cause a problem, seems like I read something on that once, you may want to research it a little. I ran new 3/8" lines for both of mine. You probably could remove your 5/16 dump on the fuel sending unit, drill and install a 3/8" if you had too.

Here's a little unsolicited, hopefully welcome advice, might save you some time and frustration:

1. Be patient, use the Holley tech support, they were very helpful getting it set up. Let them help you, if you have a question, they have answer. I called twice before I ever started installing mine, and a few times after.

2. There's an idle table that is not listed in the install instructions that they will walk you through if you cant get your idle where you want it.

3. I always let the fuel pump cycle before I start it, warm or cold and it will bump off in a 1/2 sec every time. Restarts can stumble if you don't. (I'm using an in-tank pump so that may be a difference)

4. There's a common whistle on these in acceleration, which they will say is normal characteristic, (it's annoying, unless you like the sound of City bus turbo's). You can totally get rid of it by using the Canton part# 85-154 ($30 on amazon) 1/4" 4 hole Phenolic Carb spacer. I tried a 1/2" open spacer first and caused a big vacuum leak which led to more issues. I'm a big believer in the 1/4" Canton, its proven to work with this set up, and shouldn't cause any clearance issues, I found a lot of guys were using it to eliminate the whistle.

5. Tom Kise with Holley tech has an 11 part post that goes through the most commons issues and how to avoid them on the Holley Sniper EFI owners and tech Facebook group listed under files. Great info!

I had a few issues to work through, some due to installation mistakes, but once I got it straightened out she's been great ever since. I even turned the learning off after a few weeks (Holley Tech recommendation) and unplugged my monitor and threw it in the console. I found myself obsessing over the monitor and wasn't crazy about the look of it, just like an original looking dash.

This is just my experience, I learned a lot from guys that had already gone down this road, reading ton's of threads and facebook post, like I'm sure you are. You'll read a lot of bad stuff on the Sniper and Fitech efi's, but installed correctly they will do exactly what they are meant to do, improve reliability, throttle response, and gas mileage. But, if your engine was having problems and not running right to begin with, it might not run right with efi. If I can be of any help PM me anytime.
Thanks! I ordered the spacer on amazon. I'll be using these other inputs you provided too.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #15
timski69gmc
Registered User
 
timski69gmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cranbrook, BC
Posts: 249
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Subscribed
timski69gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
Tiger Joe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: South of Pittsburgh
Posts: 381
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

I would be careful using the factory 5/16 return. Don't the directions specifically say to run the return entirely in 3/8?

I installed the sniper on a 79 c-30, and i was going to do the same thing- use a sending unit with a return. its been awhile but swear I got the advice not to do that. I ended up using the bulkhead fitting holley supplies and drilled into my gas tank.

if you were deadset on using the factory return line, I would take the factory metal line off completely and connect the rubber hose right to the sending unit.

edit- PS what headers are you running? looking for some for my lowered big block

Last edited by Tiger Joe; 02-09-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #17
TXgearhead67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Carthage Texas
Posts: 78
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Iím in for info on it. Good video and sweet truck. I think Iím gonna do my seats like you have in the houndstooth.
TXgearhead67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:24 AM   #18
Rufas
Registered User
 
Rufas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Box Elder, SD
Posts: 281
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie528 View Post
This is just my experience, I learned a lot from guys that had already gone down this road, reading ton's of threads and facebook post, like I'm sure you are. You'll read a lot of bad stuff on the Sniper and Fitech efi's, but installed correctly they will do exactly what they are meant to do, improve reliability, throttle response, and gas mileage. But, if your engine was having problems and not running right to begin with, it might not run right with efi. If I can be of any help PM me anytime.
I'm running a FiTech on my 468 BBC. The 468 really woke up with the FiTech. I totally agree with you the majority of issues are user caused and EFI will not be the cure to all existing problems.
__________________
1970 GMC 2500
700R Trans
RideTech 4 link rear suspension - Air Bagged on all four corners
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #19
SIXTY9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Charleston SC
Posts: 259
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

One question, are you using a single or dual plane intake with the Sniper system?
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
Ekliptix
Registered User
 
Ekliptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 520
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
I would be careful using the factory 5/16 return. Don't the directions specifically say to run the return entirely in 3/8?

I installed the sniper on a 79 c-30, and i was going to do the same thing- use a sending unit with a return. its been awhile but swear I got the advice not to do that. I ended up using the bulkhead fitting holley supplies and drilled into my gas tank.

if you were deadset on using the factory return line, I would take the factory metal line off completely and connect the rubber hose right to the sending unit.

edit- PS what headers are you running? looking for some for my lowered big block
Regarding 5/16 return line, Holley's recommendation is a 3psi max pressure loss along the return line to the tank. In my case, the return line will be about 7' of 3/8" rubber hose into about 4' 5/16" factory steel hose to the tank. The pressure loss will be all friction (not hyrostatic), so I can do a calculation of the flow rate the return line would require to create a 3psi pressure loss. I do related stuff for the oil and gas industry within pipeline for my job. I've read online of other ppl using the factory 5/16" return line with this kit with no issues, and in my case only a fraction of it will be 5/16" with most of it being 3/8". I'm trying to avoid drilling into the tank.

Headers are these. They fit will, had to grind a little off the flanges to mount to the heads. https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1hkr/overview/
__________________
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB PS, PB, Tach, A/C, Tilt.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Ekliptix
Registered User
 
Ekliptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 520
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXTY9 View Post
One question, are you using a single or dual plane intake with the Sniper system?
I have the Performer RPM intake which is a dual plane (According to what I looked up).
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #22
74baggedbug
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston tx
Posts: 680
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

I can’t wait to install mine.. also the reason I haven’t ordered it yet..
74baggedbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #23
Z10
Registered User
 
Z10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,250
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

I've used a FiTech TBI on my ZZ4 69 Camaro and really like it. The trick is to follow directions precisely and ground it well.

I went a different direction on my 72 and installed a F.I.R.S.T TPI system which now has 12k miles on it with out a hitch. This is not your fathers 89 Corvette motor. lol
Attached Images
  
__________________
1969 RS/SS Z10 Camaro Pace coupe
1972 GMC Short Step buildhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6356218
1979 Mazda RX7
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #24
Ekliptix
Registered User
 
Ekliptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 520
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Part 2: https://youtu.be/hIClWrLBrBA

Got the fuel system installed.

Removed the mechanical pump and used the included plate to cover the hole. The original bolts were too long for the plate, so I had to find some shorter bolts.

The electric fuel pump is mounted along the frame using some existing holes (lucky).




I ordered some of these off amazon.


And after a bunch of looking found this 3/8" to 1/4" step down to connect to the factory return steel line into the stock tank. From the EFI unit in the engine bay, the 3/8" rubber return hose goes down the firewall, along the frame, through 2 of the rubber retainer clamps, into the 3/8" to 1/4" step down fitting, into a new 1/4" rubber hose, into the factory 1/4" steel return hose which goes into the cab and tank.


I heat tape wrapped some of the fuel line and post pump filter just as a precaution, and it looks cool.


Also got the 3" exhaust clamps from amazon so O2 sensor is installed.
__________________
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB PS, PB, Tach, A/C, Tilt.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #25
jjzepplin
Senior Member
 
jjzepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Riverview Florida
Posts: 3,478
Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Nice work.
__________________
70 swb 4x4 406sbc 700r4 203/205 d60/14blt locker yadda yadda http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...88#post6935688
72 Blazer 2wd conversion project "No Daggum Money" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550804 3.73 posi-4-speed Saginaw-307-no budget build.
58 Belair http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756563
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com