The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
chevlady

Learning to control something

I am learning to control something,have pre diabetes and doing it very well.Had a non fasting blood test done and got the call I have this.One is making the changes before it turns into type 1 and type 2.Realized my eating habits that were bad is one of them,pigging out at night after supper.I cut this out and working well.I eat less too and working out,need to lose some weight.I work with a case worker that has educated me on this and she is proud of me making the changes,is a dietician.Blood sugar level is 130 right now and wants it lower.Said keep up doing the changes
chevlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: Learning to control something

Fewer breads, fewer processed foods and read the labels. There are some salad dressing that have more sugar and carbs per serving than a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Watch the sodium as well. As we age we are less tolerant to sodium and if you start now, it will ease you into watching the sodium intake.

My wife was type 2 for 12 years, didn't watch what she ate, did what she wanted, and now is type 1, and has had congestive heart failure at 45.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
abig84

Sounds like your doing fine, I've been dieting for like a month or so and I know the struggle
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
chevlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Fewer breads, fewer processed foods and read the labels. There are some salad dressing that have more sugar and carbs per serving than a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Watch the sodium as well. As we age we are less tolerant to sodium and if you start now, it will ease you into watching the sodium intake.

My wife was type 2 for 12 years, didn't watch what she ate, did what she wanted, and now is type 1, and has had congestive heart failure at 45.
This what the case worker said too.Said I am lucky it came up like this.With me turning 40 in November,a wake up call saying I better watch it
chevlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
Warrens69GMC

FYI, her family is from Grand Rapids, Allegan area.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
In The Ten Ring

The diabetic epidemic is a symptom of the larger problems in society: bad diet and no exercise. My state of WV leads the nation in obesity, go West Virginia!

Something like 66% of Americans are overweight and 33% are obese, according to that govt. stat (if I recall my graduate courses correctly), and only 1% of Americans are fit. Police departments and the US military have begun to have problems with recruits able to pass the minimum physical standards. Many police departments have started giving the physical exam first and written second, a big change from just a few years ago and police physical test is pretty basic for fitness.

Congrats on your facing and doing something about reality, so few people do. Look at it as a daily goal, as a lifestyle change that you do every day, and once in the new groove, it will become normal for you.

My best advice for anyone is DO NOT BUY JUNKFOOD. If you don't buy it, you cannot eat it. Join a gym and slowly work up to a 1.5 hour workout a day. Lifting weights burns off fat faster than cardio alone, but don't skip the cardio. We all need heart/lung endurance. In fact, we should all strive to meet the basic police entrance exam level.

Run: 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.
Pushups: 30 in 60 seconds.
Situps: 30 in 60 seconds.

Some departments want 1 inch past toes stretch.

The best skiing I ever did was 1 year after a bad leg sprain but 1 month after I lost 25 pounds. The 1.5 hours of continuous sweating exercise I did every day for 3 months was a big help too.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
The diabetic epidemic is a symptom of the larger problems in society: bad diet and no exercise. My state of WV leads the nation in obesity, go West Virginia!

Something like 66% of Americans are overweight and 33% are obese, according to that govt. stat (if I recall my graduate courses correctly), and only 1% of Americans are fit. Police departments and the US military have begun to have problems with recruits able to pass the minimum physical standards. Many police departments have started giving the physical exam first and written second, a big change from just a few years ago and police physical test is pretty basic for fitness.

Congrats on your facing and doing something about reality, so few people do. Look at it as a daily goal, as a lifestyle change that you do every day, and once in the new groove, it will become normal for you.

My best advice for anyone is DO NOT BUY JUNKFOOD. If you don't buy it, you cannot eat it. Join a gym and slowly work up to a 1.5 hour workout a day. Lifting weights burns off fat faster than cardio alone, but don't skip the cardio. We all need heart/lung endurance. In fact, we should all strive to meet the basic police entrance exam level.

Run: 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.
Pushups: 30 in 60 seconds.
Situps: 30 in 60 seconds.

Some departments want 1 inch past toes stretch.

The best skiing I ever did was 1 year after a bad leg sprain but 1 month after I lost 25 pounds. The 1.5 hours of continuous sweating exercise I did every day for 3 months was a big help too.
For me junk food and overeating was my issue, especially when I get home from work late I would eat a ton of food and go to bed. So I stopped that, but out all pop honey buns brownies and lost about 20 lbs in a little over a month. I also have a very active job so it's almost like I'm at the gym for 8 hours as it is. I feel so much better and have more energy, finally been going back to the garage working on the old truck instead of telling myself I will when I feel better which never really happened
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
Grumpy old man

Wow your one busy person in 4 months your , Getting divorce ,met a new guy , had a heart attack , inherited a blazer ,needed glasses. bought a 67 GMC , diagnosed and cured of cancer in a month , and now diabetes . How do you stay so upbeat ?

My girl was diagnosed with breast cancer about 2 years ago and is still going thru treatment after 7 surgeries Multiple diagnostic tests and continuing evaluation , Your one lucky person ...

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 07-12-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Wow your one busy person
Right?!!! Crazy luck!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
greasemonkey