The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #51
JimmyFloyd

Re: Rocker box pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
As a matter of fact, I will going thru Binghamton in 3 hrs, fishin' upstate, but I go thru there all the time

Careful not to turn this into a For Sale Thread, better go back and delete that last
Everyone is fishing these days.

And this is not a for sale thread, just making a joke.

I found the welder discussion in the other section, so it looks like I'll have to stary reading up over there.

And as for what I am going for, this truck will be a driver, so I want to try and keep it stock-ish.
JimmyFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #52
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-72 View Post
The assembly manual refers to the option sheet on the glove box door as a service parts identification plate, not decal so you should use proper terminology for that.

Geeesh, get over it already, at this point all it sounds like is your just trolling to stir the pot.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #53
70 Suburban
Rods

Its OK VT it was a foul point anyway.

back to the subject at hand. I use a snap on muscle mig 450sl. its a combo machine. I use the tig and the mig allot. only complaint is its a little hot when I tig but that my just be me. the aluminum spool works great when I am making brackets or repairs also.
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #54
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkbus View Post
So what's a hubcap? They may be wheelcovers according to GM but maybe Ford or Chrysler calls them hubcaps. Someone somewhere has to call them hubcaps or else that term would not be so widely used. I bet if there was a survey done, more people would know what a hubcap is over wheelcover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Suburban View Post
you are correct... but we are on a gm site....... so wheelcovers over caps....In general conversation I may call them hub caps......but a hub cap is icorrect... see its like this... a wheel cover is just that a wheel cover.. a hub cap is just that.. the little round thing on the end of the spindle (knuckle for those that realy know what it is) is a cap.the little disk that only coverd the lugs and knuckle cap is a hub cap.
Gee,I was trying to clarify,not bring in another topic.A wheelcover is just that.It covers the wheel.Some say full wheelcover,which isn`t necessary if you know all wheelcovers are full coverage.A hub cap is just that.It covers the hub,which is the unit behind the wheel.Generally just outside the lugs on a wheel.Go buy a brake rotor.It`s either a complete unit or a hub and disc.We also call them dog dishes or dog dish hubcaps,which is unecessary since there are no dog dish wheelcovers.The piece that covers just the outer wheel bearing and spindle nut is known as a dust cap or spindle cap.
It is what it is,no matter who makes it.You can call something the wrong name and still have others understand.But,that doesn`t change what is correct.
Here in maryland we all know that soda,pop,and soft drink are all the same thing.Actually,I hear soda pop more and figured people abbreviated it and used either word.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-10-2009 at 05:32 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #55
70 Suburban
Rods

lol . when I was working for (un named) parts store.... I found out its not called a spindle, Its a knuckle......lol but that was the same point I was making.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #56
69-72

Quote:
UMM NO its a S.ervice P.arts I.dentification D.ecal.. not SPIP. its SPID.

The reason there is a debate is that not everyone knows what it is... We have already stated that the part in question is not on a 1/2 ton or any ton TRUCK. its a blazer spicific part.
Page 7, refers to it as a plate or label not a decal.

The whole SPID thing was brought up to make a point that the correct term is not always the most popular. I am not the one getting my panties in a bunch whenever someone uses the "wrong" term. I could care less if people call it a decal, plate SPID, or label. (Although plate kinda sounds stupid :P ) Everyone can call it whatever they want and I will know what they are talking about, I call it an option sheet.

As a bonus, here are my rockerrustcollectortorisionboxescontainers and no there isn't a rockerrustcollectortorisionboxescontainers delete option listed on my optionsheetdecallabelpicturethingy on the inside of my gloveboxdoorlidcoverblockingplate.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery

Last edited by special-K; 04-08-2009 at 06:58 PM.
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #57
special-K
Special Order

Good eye there Senor^.Must subscribe to sell here.
69-72,

I did you a favor and editted out the nasty comment that would be considered trolling(we all know what that means,right?).Also,refrain from judging the purpose of other`s posts.Trolling again and a request for an infraction.Another word we can`t argue the meaning of.
This is your warning.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-08-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #58
70 Suburban
Rods

he means it.... I was taken off the board for a mounth... it was the longest mounth of my life... on the other side... wow your rockerrustcollectortorisionboxescontainers are in need of help. I am about to junk a 72 blazer for this and I dont think they look that bad...
Old 04-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #59
special-K
Special Order

BTW,the knuckle is the casting that the knuckle is attached to or a part of.They are two different parts.A knuckle hold the ball joints and disc braket,as well as a mounting point for the tierod.The spindle is what the wheel spins on and is a fixed axle.
Thesole purpose of this post is to help all keep things`srtaight.not prove someone wrong or place anyone in a pecking order. Please correct me when I`m wrong.I`ve been corrected alot and I`ve listened.The end result is I seem to have ended up knowing a good bit of ino.

Tim

Old 04-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #60
Bentblazer

While we're getting people straightened out, I think should we address our friends from down under, a hood is not a bonnet and a trunk is not a boot should we go futher?
1930 Chevy two door rat

Last edited by Bentblazer; 04-09-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: More
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #61
JimmyFloyd

And back on topic....

Are the outer rockers different on the blazer than a pickup? I should be getting a cheap set shortly that I believe we going to go onto a pickup.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #62
70 Suburban
Rods

nahh they are the same. the inner is a little different and the rear floor is different
Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #63
vtblazer

Quote:
nahh they are the same. the inner is a little different and the rear floor is different
Yep, and FYI the truck inner rocker is a much better piece to work with.

It extrends into the lower 'a' pillar area, providing for a nicer repair.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #64
70 Suburban
Rods

My inner rocker extend into the a piller and then back into the b piller. but there the floor behind the seat where the gas tank would be on a truck is not there. thats part of the rear compartment of the blazer. the floor flanges gust behind the seat mount. that that flat panel is where the change in the blazer takes place
Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #65
vtblazer

Here's a better way to look at it...to look at the two side by side.

This flat piece is what was typically sold to us as a "blazer" inner rocker.
It's very basic and doesn't offer much as far as 'a' pillar structure goes.

This is the truck part, called an "outer floor extension".
It's an excellent part, it provides the four bolt holes for the 'a' pillar for a one piece fit without trying to use what's left of the old inner rocker section (usually not much) and it also gives you part of the floor area if you choose to use it and that being a generally high rust area, lets you create the floor couture further into the sheet metal which again...gives you more option's to work with.

Night and day difference between the two parts for use & workability.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #66
70 Suburban
Rods

I have used both. They have there place..the blazer one is more for jus inner rocker replacent. The other is for rocker and floor quick paint chop of part.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #67
special-K
Special Order

YAY!!! We`re talking about rockers again.Wasn`t there a thread about them?Wait!This is it.
I sure like the newer piece made for p/u trucks.The rust always gets into the door seal lip area.

Tim

Old 04-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #68
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I sure like the newer piece made for p/u trucks.The rust always gets into the door seal lip area.

Example of the benefits:
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #69
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

This was some fun reading, lol.... I remember fixing those hunks of metal under the almost nonexistent floorboard. Good stuff. Theres pics in there if anyone needs'em. NO NO NO, funny stuff VT I can see the hair being pulled out right now, lol.....

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #70
PHAT TONY

Quote:
you are correct... but we are on a gm site....... so wheelcovers over caps....In general conversation I may call them hub caps......but a hub cap is icorrect... see its like this... a wheel cover is just that a wheel cover.. a hub cap is just that.. the little round thing on the end of the spindle (knuckle for those that realy know what it is) is a cap.the little disk that only coverd the lugs and knuckle cap is a hub cap.
I'm not trolling, I just couldn't resist; my truck never came with wheel covers.
Attached Images

PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #71
70 Suburban
Rods

yes your right.. what you have in the pic is a hub cap. that small little dog dish... yeah that is....mine on the other and came with wheel covers.. you know that thing that covers the whole wheel

ohhh maybe thats why that call it a wheel cover and not a hub cap. it covers the whole wheel not just the hub
Old 04-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #72
jaros44sr

Dang, I go away fishing for 5 days and look what I missed. This thread has more twists and turns than a back road mile!!!

Tim, thanks for straighten' me out on the dust cap, I got confused when I read all the other stuff

OK, is everyone back on topic

Kurt, nice work on those rocker panels

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 04-12-2009 at 04:03 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #73
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Here's a better way to look at it...to look at the two side by side.

This flat piece is what was typically sold to us as a "blazer" inner rocker.
It's very basic and doesn't offer much as far as 'a' pillar structure goes.

This is the truck part, called an "outer floor extension".
It's an excellent part, it provides the four bolt holes for the 'a' pillar for a one piece fit without trying to use what's left of the old inner rocker section (usually not much) and it also gives you part of the floor area if you choose to use it and that being a generally high rust area, lets you create the floor couture further into the sheet metal which again...gives you more option's to work with.

Night and day difference between the two parts for use & workability.
I ordered both of those. I'm assuming I don't need the blazer inner rocker than?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #74
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED72blazer View Post
I ordered both of those. I'm assuming I don't need the blazer inner rocker than?
Both those pieces are inner rockers.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #75
JimmyFloyd

Ok, got some new parts today. Picked up a Rough Country 4" lift for dirt cheap. It's the rear block kit, which I would prefer the leaf one, but I need a suspension, and this cost the same as cheapest 4 shocks at autozone.

Also got a beat hatch, but should work to atleast get mine weather tight if I need to have it sit out. Came with hinges and T handle, and it was free. Also got a free battery tray.

Got a line on another hood cheap, as well as some rocker panels.

And I have located 4 parts blazers already. Going to try and get the closest one (4 miles away) and already pretty much bought the furthest (MA.) Probably going to just pull the parts I need off that one and either junk or sell the rest. Will be subscribing if that goes through.

So things are going well. Going to Carlisle on the 24th, so hopefully I can get a bunch more parts.