The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Steps and grab handles

Looking for ideas on an unobtrusive step and inside grab handles for my 68. Thinking about keeping the four inch lift (for now) and just want to make it a bit easier to hop up in the cab.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
jeffahart

Re: Steps and grab handles

Unobtrusive might be a bit of an oxymoron when it comes to steps. Here's why. You need to have it out there for your foot. If you don't get a good footing you could end up slipping. Especially for a passenger. I worry about my wife getting in and out. Would hate for her or one of my friends to end up on their can. I've never been a big fan of the tube steps. But as a matter of convenience and expedience I got some. And they look OK but they work great. I stand on them all the time. I use my overhead handle to get in, my wife always grabs the a pillar handle.

Both grab handles were purchased at a local truck stop.

I stand on this all the time, it's pretty sturdy, but is subject to your body bushings, if they are junk then you'll get a bit of flex.
Name:  20160421_160210.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  39.7 KB

Slid a mountain bike grip on this. The a pillar grab is pretty much in your face.
Name:  2012-11-03_12-00-04_774.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  78.5 KB

I use this all the time, I covered with steering wheel tape.
Name:  20160714_092459.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  21.3 KB
Old 07-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I like the idea of the over head grab for the drivers side, didn't even consider that. I think the pillar and the over head for the passenger side would be a good idea, want to make it as easy as possible for my wife and grand daughter. As far as steps I'm thinking more of a single step and probably painted semi gloss black. I have no idea how they work though. Bolt to the frame?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I like the idea of the over head grab for the drivers side, didn't even consider that. I think the pillar and the over head for the passenger side would be a good idea, want to make it as easy as possible for my wife and grand daughter. As far as steps I'm thinking more of a single step and probably painted semi gloss black. I have no idea how they work though. Bolt to the frame?
The wife and other passengers are why I put in the steps and grabs in the first place. I worry about my wife a lot, she can be a clodhopper at times. But I have to admit, I use the heck out of them and like using them.

I looked into the smaller steps, they required drilling into the under body or rocker. I did not want to do that. The bar mounts to the body mounts, at the frame, and that's pretty far back in there. I think I had to drill one hole in the frame on each side for a small bracket. But If your interested in seeing how the tube step mounts let me know. I can snap a few pics for you later this evening.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

How well do the screws hold the handles stable?

Old 07-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #6
jeffahart

I've had no problem with screws. I like screwing, and trust me, I'm not the only one. The handles I use for overhead came with screws, most are screwed. I did use some lock tight red. But if you screw and it does not hold, then your not screwed so to speak. You could then redo with a nutsert or JB weld and re screw. But I grab them grabs and have had no issues with the screws. Hope I was not too screwy, but my poor wife, has to deal with my juvenile humor all the tiem... we spent the night in Beaver Utah once... she got to hear how much I like Beaver... it really was swell!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

LOL, wow thanks for this

I think if your wife knew you called her a clodhopper you could be screwed, and not be screwed

Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Be screwed and get screwed have very different meanings. I wonder for steps about a plate between two pieces of chain to dangle. Works for a step, with give as far as clearance goes, and you could rig them to hook back up out of sight when you wanted.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
jeffahart

On the chain idea, I did look into the tractor cable steps. But I decided I wanted something mounted to the frame. I figured I could spring board off the tube mounts and build a more 4x4 looking step off their mounting hardware... that hasn't happened yet, I'm running a backlog on projects as usual.

But check out these tractor cable steps. I really like the off road look of these. They hang down, but could flex if you get into clearance issues.

Probably not the best price, but I just wanted to show a sample!

http://www.easternmarine.com/galvani...e-step-5230915
Old 07-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Those are kind of cool. Ill have to check some out in person.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

On a '95 I had 285/75s & 8" rims on I built sort of rock slider/step/running board thingies out of 1 1/4"(1 1/2"?) square tube that bolted to the frame. I welded a width of diamond plate on top. They were crowded up to the rockers and stuck out enough for a decent toe step. I mostly put them on to catch what the Super Swampers were throwing up. Those were powder coated base/clear gun metal grey to go with other stuff on the truck. The only picture with them on it is a sad one...after the wreck. Maybe still get an idea? Different style truck all wrecked up is the only difference
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I really like the simplicity of those cable ones with the grippy steps. Went to Tractor Supply, McDaniel's (a real hardware store) and two Co-Ops. I live in farm country, none of these places had any steps at all. I don't want to buy them online, I want to hold one up to my truck first. Ill have to make some calls to some actual tractor and implements dealers.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
'63GENIII

Warn used to make some pretty nice rubber coated steps that were about 12 - 14" long and hung down around 5-6 ". I haven't been able to find them for a while but did have them on a '97 crew cab years ago and really liked them. They didn't hang too low and seemed to disappear more than some of the others that I had been looking at. Id love to get another set for my '63 some day. Ill try and find a pic or two.

For the handles, I used to go to the JY and grab them off of some of the import cars as they seemed to always have them and in different colors. Real sturdy and fairly discreet. Look for a 4 door since they always have 3 OS handles and make sure to grab the little snap in covers that hide the mounting screws.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

That's a good idea for grab handles, didn't even consider that. I cant remember the last time Ive been to a wrecking yard.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #15
'63GENIII

Ok CG, so I went looking for those Warn steps and found a pair of them on Ebay so I grabbed them. You re ignited my search for them! I tried to copy the link but I'm a computer idiot that way. If you google "Warn truck steps" or search it in Ebay, you should be able to see them. Otherwise, they should be here next Friday and I can take pics and post.

As far as the wrecking yard trips, my kid brother and I used to go almost every weekend when we were in our teens and early 20's. It was fun. Always something to find. I haven't been in nearly 20 years now. The Wife and kids are out of town 'til Wednesday so maybe I'll take a little "field trip" tomorrow! LOL

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

Old 07-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

That would be great if you could post pictures. Im really curious to see them and see how you mount them.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:09 AM   #17
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I've had no problem with screws. I like screwing, and trust me, I'm not the only one. The handles I use for overhead came with screws, most are screwed. I did use some lock tight red. But if you screw and it does not hold, then your not screwed so to speak. You could then redo with a nutsert or JB weld and re screw. But I grab them grabs and have had no issues with the screws. Hope I was not too screwy, but my poor wife, has to deal with my juvenile humor all the tiem... we spent the night in Beaver Utah once... she got to hear how much I like Beaver... it really was swell!
That's funny right there!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #18
dennislbrooks

There is an article in the "Farm Show" magazine Vol. 40 No. 4, 2016 page 18 where a guy put on a pair of electric retractable steps from an RV dealer. The steps are actuated from door sensors that extend and retract with door activity. A Darrel Hartzog from Florida came up with the idea. He listed where he bought the parts.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I bet those were expensive. But they do sound very cool.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
On a '95 I had 285/75s & 8" rims on I built sort of rock slider/step/running board thingies out of 1 1/4"(1 1/2"?) square tube that bolted to the frame. I welded a width of diamond plate on top. They were crowded up to the rockers and stuck out enough for a decent toe step. I mostly put them on to catch what the Super Swampers were throwing up. Those were powder coated base/clear gun metal grey to go with other stuff on the truck. The only picture with them on it is a sad one...after the wreck. Maybe still get an idea? Different style truck all wrecked up is the only difference
Hey, that's a pisser about your truck. Sorry for that loss, but you are OK so that's the important thing.

I am considering the exact thing you are showing on your wrecked truck. I'm thinking a tractor step or a mud traction mat bolted up tight to the rocker and out just enough to get reasonable footing. But, I'm also thinking about making them removable using handle nuts or something; I could take them off and actually use them for mud or snow traction in a stuck situation. But there's more, I also want to incorporate some channel lip on a custom front bumper so I could remove the side steps and then attach them to the bumper to create a deck to stand on to work on the engine. I really like the deck you get when you put a rear bumper on the front. But I hate how they stick out. I'm thinking of keeping my winch down low in the frame and making a bumper up tight to the front. A removable deck would be nice.

Pie the sky... but I might as well dream in color!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #21
'63GENIII

CG, I got home from work today to find a box on the front porch! I guess that since they were only coming from Santa Rosa they got here early. Anyway, here are some pics. It will more than likely be a couple of months before I can get them on the truck but I used my bike lift to mock them up.

As far as mounting them, they're used and didn't come with brackets. Ill probably fab something up from some square or tube stock and attach to the frame. I cannot for the life of me remember how they attached to the '97. Ive run just about everything from sliders to hoops and so far I have liked these best.
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #22
'63GENIII

The mock up... I figure Ill set them where my foot has worn off the paint on the lower sill.
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #23
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ooooo, me likey. Those should blend in nicely.

And off subject, I had a bike lift for my Harley. Sold my bike ages ago, but kept my lift. I cant find that thing anywhere lol, how do you lose something that large?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #24
'63GENIII

Quote:
Ooooo, me likey. Those should blend in nicely.

And off subject, I had a bike lift for my Harley. Sold my bike ages ago, but kept my lift. I cant find that thing anywhere lol, how do you lose something that large?
Yes they worked pretty well for me.

As far as the lift goes... Ive been noticing that the largest thing that Ive been losing lately is my memory! LOL. Comes with the onset of inverted cranium rectumitis which I have had for many years.

I would probably use the lift to hold up a workbench or something and forget that I did it!

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 07-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #25
swamp rat

Quote:
Looking for ideas on an unobtrusive step and inside grab handles for my 68. Thinking about keeping the four inch lift (for now) and just want to make it a bit easier to hop up in the cab.
I think Aries still makes a Nerf Bar step for our trucks that are frame mounted., have to do a Google search to see who carries them, the thread mentions Amazon. I bought a set of these about 3 years ago but i won't mention who i got them thru as i don't give them high marks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...rs#post7542559

EDIT: they are heavy!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote