The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #76
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Houston 64 GMC (Big Blue)

An adapter plate of come sort is necessary to bolt a '68-'87 power steering box to a '60-'66 frame. My steering box adapter plates position the steering box correctly and with all 4 bolts thru the frame as they should be. An inside plate is not needed on 90% of the applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad215 View Post
Hey Captainfab- hate to sound as inexperienced as I am, but what are the benefits to using your steering bracket? The PO had some plates bolted on the inside and outside of the frame where the steering box goes. I don't recall having any issues when I drove it last (but that was ~1995!). I've seen a lot of people using them, but I'm not sure I understand the logic behind it. Just thinking ahead...I'm going to be ready to put my column and steering back in before too much longer.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #77
Chad215

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4bigwindow View Post
Just read through your build, and I love it so far. Crazy how life takes the drivers seat some times and our rigs get put in the pan storage, not even the back burner lol... Glad to see you back and with a new little one! Sorry to hear about the major injury, I hope there aren't any long lasting effects. And as always, can't wait to see some updates on the rig
Thanks!- Yea, nothing like looking back and forth between the truck and my wallet and wondering when I'll be able to start again! I came really close to selling it a few years ago but figured with all the work i'd need to do just to get the frame rolling again, I'd be better off keeping it. I'm very excited to be getting back to it. Finally getting the brake kit was what got the motivation up again.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #78
Chad215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
An adapter plate of come sort is necessary to bolt a '68-'87 power steering box to a '60-'66 frame. My steering box adapter plates position the steering box correctly and with all 4 bolts thru the frame as they should be. An inside plate is not needed on 90% of the applications.
Thanks Captain- I appreciate the info.