The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
dug224

1959 Fleetside

After much inspiration from the many threads I have been reading, I decided to post my new project. Thanks to my brother-in-law Bruce in Calif., I bought a pretty much original almost rust free '59 Fleetside Big Window NAPCO 4WD. Had it shipped to Alabama where I proceeded to fully take a part. Could not stop until I was sure there was no rust. Rust in cab corners only. The guy I bought it from had owned since 1982 and it had been sitting unused under a shed since 1999. When he got it, it had a 292 CI in-line six which I have since sold. I was able to start the engine (on first try) which helped me sell it. I have decided to sell the NAPCO drive train since parts of it were poorly installed and I am not sure of the condition. Feel free to contact if interested. The goal is to make a depedable 2WD daily driver as far under $10k as possible. Kids are out of college but I remain poor. I purchased a 1981 Z28 without engine and transmission for the front and back suspension. Wanted to use a late model LS engine but will settle for a free 305 CI with 700r4 from a buddy of mine for now. He had the pair in an old Jaguar that was going to the crusher.

Photo of it going on the transport in California, arriving in Alabama and after the first power wash. Stay tuned.

Additional photos of truck stripped and suspension pieces. Not a new tailgate on the truck. New Jacuzzi tub for my daughters house.
Attached Images

Last edited by dug224; 03-19-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Add photos
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
57ExtCab

Re: 1959 Fleetside

looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

"Just cause I Drink alot of Bud that does'nt make me WISER"
57ExtCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
jocko

WOW, that is sweet. Hate that ya gotta dump the napco stuff, that thing is a cool COOL 4x4. Congrats, nice truck no matter what you decide to do with it.

By the way - WELCOME!! - you must be shy, joined in 2011 and this is your 1st post(!?)
It's an illness, prepare to make many more.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Kim57

Welcome.
Looks like a real clean truck to start with.
Kim
Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
WOW, that is sweet. Hate that ya gotta dump the napco stuff, that thing is a cool COOL 4x4. Congrats, nice truck no matter what you decide to do with it.

By the way - WELCOME!! - you must be shy, joined in 2011 and this is your 1st post(!?)
It's an illness, prepare to make many more.

Yep..first post. I joined before I bought it. I feel the illness coming on. Not shy...I felt like I had to accomplish something before I could really surface. I have only owned it since 23 January. Had the truck been in really good shape, I would have put it back like original condition. I was actually relieved that it was in poor mechanical shape. Some of the NAPCO stuff was not original looking so I did not feel bad about redirecting the project to 2WD.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Maximus

The Short Fleets are awesome! sad that the Napco is going but im sure those parts will help someone somewhere, and in the end the truck will handle 1000% better with the camaro clip and 10-bolt rear
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
OrrieG

If it is real napco it is cast "napco" in the front axle. Tranfer is isolated mount off of the third crossmember, could look like it was just hanging there. If the axle is not original then someone may have just gotten an axle and divorce transfer and made their own. The napco.com site has more information on IDing it. If its real someone will pick it up.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
If it is real napco it is cast "napco" in the front axle. Tranfer is isolated mount off of the third crossmember, could look like it was just hanging there. If the axle is not original then someone may have just gotten an axle and divorce transfer and made their own. The napco.com site has more information on IDing it. If its real someone will pick it up.
NAPCO is cast in the driver side of front axle and transfer case is mounted on a third crossmember. There is, what is left of, a band brake on the 4 speed transmission AND the transfer case. Parts missing on both band brakes. Front drive shaft was is missing so, althought he said it worked, I cannot be sure since I did not witness it. The transfer case shifter is s jumbled up welded mess and multiple nonfactory holes were cut into the transmission hump. I agree, somebody out there needs at least part of it. I tossed an ad on a NAPCO site but have not heard from anyone.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
I feel the illness coming on.
no drugs will cure this illness

nice truck, looks like it has minimal rust
there are quite a few sweet fleetside builds here
and welcome!

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
drivea55

welcome!!!

more pics!

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivea55 View Post
welcome!!!

more pics!

More photos as requested....

Photo of my buddy Jerry helping remove bed. He has a '58 he got locally with serious rust and has done a great job piecing it back together. Bullets down both sides of be were rubbed out-of-round in a previous life. Will have a good bit of work get them radiused again without the use of 0.5 inches of filler. Local U-Pull-It just got a 58 Fleetside instock but they have not put it on the yard yet. Pretty rusty but will be able to get some small door parts, flat floor pan at transmission and I may rescue the big window frame for future project. If the bed is not totally shot, I may get it to repair mine or for making a matching trailer. Hood is good and they only want $30 for it. May pick it up as well.

Might have made a mistake ordering No Limit video showing the subframe install. Heard it was old. They weren't kidding. The guy is wearing a shirt with 1989 on it. Gave me a decent feel for what lies ahead but left a number of questions unanswered. It did not address the final ride height at all. Checked youtube but could not find anything except for a Ford. Are there any sources out there that explain the install better and address ride height? Maybe I get the ride height I get and deal with it with drop spindles???
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Daze57

welcome to the forum -

great start you have there - -it a good looker - good luck and keep us posted
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
poncho_villa

Welcome to the forum. Are you going to start a build thread for us to follow? With the parts you have collected, this looks like it'll be great. Keep that camera handy. We like pictures.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
Maximus

Hey, noticed your worries about the no-limit video. I bought and used the same video, and I really didn't have many questions after watching it, other than ride height what were your concerns/questions? If you look at my build thread you can see my trucks stance after the no-limit video install. It sits a bit high (considering i did a axle flip and lowered the rear) I used Hotchkis loweing springs and really like the ride height. some people like to really slam these trucks, and for that your better off tucking the bottom of the subframe under the truck frame. if you have any questions I can try to answer them, buy in the mean time you can see photos of my ride height, as well as new height after I installed the lowering springs last month.
as mentioned, you should start a build thread in the projects section so its easier to follow your progress!

congrats on the California truck and welcome again!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hey, noticed your worries about the no-limit video. I bought and used the same video, and I really didn't have many questions after watching it, other than ride height what were your concerns/questions? If you look at my build thread you can see my trucks stance after the no-limit video install. It sits a bit high (considering i did a axle flip and lowered the rear) I used Hotchkis loweing springs and really like the ride height. some people like to really slam these trucks, and for that your better off tucking the bottom of the subframe under the truck frame. if you have any questions I can try to answer them, buy in the mean time you can see photos of my ride height, as well as new height after I installed the lowering springs last month.
as mentioned, you should start a build thread in the projects section so its easier to follow your progress!

congrats on the California truck and welcome again!
Thanks for the suspension help offer. I will be calling on you once I restudy your thread. I spent yesterday evening getting the frame nearer the ground and trying to determine where I want to be ride height wise at the end of this. The pictures show the ride height as a result of the leading edge of driver cab step at 10.25" off of the ground. Cab is slightly out of level towards the front. Initially thought 8.0" was a better dimension until I mocked it up. Seems a bit too low so I moved it up. I will hang the driver fender and bedside this weekend to get a better feel for it. Looks like I will need to decide and buy wheels and tires early if I want to get the ride height nailed. I have always really liked painted steel with hubcaps. One thing I know I will need is your wheel/tire sizes and dimensions from the frame to level ground from two locations (front and back) that we both still have on our frames. Maybe the cab mounting points. I would like to mimmick your setup in real life. I want it at car ride height-ish but intend to drive it daily and don't want so low that it drags on speed bumps and such.

Did not know about the build thread location for this information. Thanks to you and Poncho Villa for the direction. Will straighten it up this weekend after I finish my taxes.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
dug224

Per direction from some of the readers, i have started a new thread in the build section. New name is "Dug's 1959 Fleetside".
Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
1959 Apache 3600

Great looking truck. Gonna like watching this build.
1959 Apache 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #18
55dude

I bought the "no-limit" tape back when it came out and was pissed! Called and let them know i felt ripped off. here is a link for a build on the HAMB that will help in the build good luck! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote