The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Richs'55

Brake pedal assembly install- 55-59 Cab

I am having a problem with the brake pedal assembly installing it under the dash.

First let me start by saying that I have installed a steering column out of a '81 C 10 in the 55 Cab. I have centered it under the gauges in the dash and have the linkage to connect it to the original steering box of the 1981 C10 frame that I am using under the 55 cab and box.
That's not the problem.

I am having a hard time getting the Brake Booster and pedal assembly to fit along side the steering column. I think I am going to have to install it to the left of the column.
Anybody out there retro fitted another brake booster and pedal assembly out of another car or truck and had success on a good feel for the pedal?
Richs'55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Brake pedal assembly install- 55-59 Cab

maybe some pictures of what you have and where you want to place it. It really doesn't matter which side of the column its on as long as you have room outside for the booster next to the hinge, inner fender and all and the pedal isn't to far left
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
bowt1ed

The last "build" of my 57, I installed a 81 Camaro booster/master on the firewall and used a 80 Monte Carlo column (floor shift). The only mod required was to re-arch the pedal down more toward floor. Worked great. Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Goldengophersax56

I just did this over the weekend in my 56. I'll try to remember to take some pics tonight and show you. My booster and pedal is out of a 70 Chevy and my column is from a 79. I made a custom steering mount and then modified the brake pedal to fit to the left of it.
Goldengophersax56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Richs'55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldengophersax56 View Post
I just did this over the weekend in my 56. I'll try to remember to take some pics tonight and show you. My booster and pedal is out of a 70 Chevy and my column is from a 79. I made a custom steering mount and then modified the brake pedal to fit to the left of it.
That sounds like what I need. Appreciate the pictures. I will try to take some of mine to show my problem.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
Goldengophersax56

So what I did was make a piece that went from the firewall to the dash where the old column bolted in. Then I braced the steering column up to it and figured out how much further the bracket had to come down and I made that piece and welded it to the brace from the dash to the firewall. This took care of the steering column part.

After that was done, I took the pedal from the 70 Chevy and I cut off the front of it so that it fit under the dash. I also trimmed the side of it up and fit it to the column mount and then welded it together. There is a tab on the left side of the brake pedal that I welded to it that bolts to the bottom of the dash as well. At least the pics give you a rough idea.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Richs'55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldengophersax56 View Post
So what I did was make a piece that went from the firewall to the dash where the old column bolted in. Then I braced the steering column up to it and figured out how much further the bracket had to come down and I made that piece and welded it to the brace from the dash to the firewall. This took care of the steering column part.

After that was done, I took the pedal from the 70 Chevy and I cut off the front of it so that it fit under the dash. I also trimmed the side of it up and fit it to the column mount and then welded it together. There is a tab on the left side of the brake pedal that I welded to it that bolts to the bottom of the dash as well. At least the pics give you a rough idea.
So did you center the column right below the centerline of the dash (gauges)?

Also, you say you used a 79 column. Out of what, a C10?

So then your brake booster is mounted on the fire wall to the left of the column?

Thanks for the answers.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Goldengophersax56

You are correct, I centered the column under the center line of the gauges and that cutout for the old column under the gauges.

The column was out of a 79 C10. Something to note, I had to shorten my column which was a ton of work. I have heard that van columns work great as an alternative. At the time, money was not abundant so I used what I could find cheaply (or free from the attic from dad's old projects). Hope that helps!
Old 09-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Richs'55

Ok, So that is similar to what I had to do. I used the steering column out of '81 C10 that I got for the frame. I did have to do a bit of linkage changes for the steering box, but didn't have to shorten the column.

So, did you use the same brake booster? That is where I am having a little difficulty in getting the brake pedal to line up under the dash and miss the column.

***EDIT*** Ok, after looking back at your pictures, I think I got it. I am re-using the pedal and assembly out of my '81 and mounting it to the left. You're right. I will have to modify the pedal and assembly to fit and relocated the brake booster.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Richs'55; 09-30-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
Goldengophersax56

You're welcome! I was happy that I could help.