The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Quicy

Auto trans test plug????

The Glowshift tech support guy said there is a test port on the auto tranny in my "06 silverado that the temp gauge will connect to if it is there I can not find it. I do not want to use a tee fitting if anybody knows where there is a port that the trans fluid temp gauge will connect to please let me know.

Thanks

Q

Last edited by Quicy; 02-25-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Quicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Auto trans test plug????

The pressure test port has a 1/8" NPT plug, Its above the shift shaft on the driver side, #32 in the diagram. I hope that temp gauge sender can handle pressure near 200 PSI.
Attached Images

Last edited by clinebarger; 02-25-2010 at 02:14 PM.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Quicy

Thanks, and I will check with the mfg. of the sender about the pressure at that port.

Q
Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
hatchaddict

just curious as to why you want to put a temp gauge in it since the pcm already monitors trans fluid temp and will put the trans into hot mode at like 280 or 240 or something around there and it has a default shift and no tcc lock. and some of these trucks came with a factory temp gauge and im assuming this is a 4l80e
hatchaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Quicy

I am not certain about the model of the trans but if it has a temp sending unit it would be good to know but I can not find any definite info. I bought the truck to tow my travel trailer and would like to be able to watch the fluid temp as I drive. Because we live in the mountains I am a little cautious about how the trans will handle the hills. If I see the fluid temp start to climb I may have time to pull over and take a brake while it cools down. Also, the trailer loaded is around seven thousand pounds and if the trans is continually running hot I will have to upsize the truck or downsize the trailer. I would rather have a warning before it goes into hot mode rather than find out when it happens. You sound like you are familiar with these vehicles anything you can tell me about them I would appreciate.

Thanks for the info.

Q
Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
hatchaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicy View Post
I am not certain about the model of the trans but if it has a temp sending unit it would be good to know but I can not find any definite info. I bought the truck to tow my travel trailer and would like to be able to watch the fluid temp as I drive. Because we live in the mountains I am a little cautious about how the trans will handle the hills. If I see the fluid temp start to climb I may have time to pull over and take a brake while it cools down. Also, the trailer loaded is around seven thousand pounds and if the trans is continually running hot I will have to upsize the truck or downsize the trailer. I would rather have a warning before it goes into hot mode rather than find out when it happens. You sound like you are familiar with these vehicles anything you can tell me about them I would appreciate.

Thanks for the info.

Q
im a gm tech so i know a bit about these truck what engine is in it? and does it have an auxiliary trans cooler in front of the condensor? the trank does have a tft sensor but im pretty sure it internal but you maybe able to tap in to the wires on that circuit to run yout gauge depending on how the circuit works and how your new gauge works let me look into it a little furthe tomorrow and get back to you also you may be able to get one of the hypertech or bullydog units that displays engine parameters cause im almost positive they display tft and it reads right off the pcm
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #7
Quicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchaddict View Post
im a gm tech so i know a bit about these truck what engine is in it? and does it have an auxiliary trans cooler in front of the condensor? the trank does have a tft sensor but im pretty sure it internal but you maybe able to tap in to the wires on that circuit to run yout gauge depending on how the circuit works and how your new gauge works let me look into it a little furthe tomorrow and get back to you also you may be able to get one of the hypertech or bullydog units that displays engine parameters cause im almost positive they display tft and it reads right off the pcm
Thanks for the reply, I have done allot of research since I bought it two months ago. It is the 5.3 flex fuel motor with a 3.73 diff. It has the tow package that includes the 7 wire connector and trans cooler. The trans is a four speed and it has the trailer tow mode. I also have an oil temp gage for the same reasons I stated before. I suppose I am anal but I feel better if I can see what is going on especially when towing in the mountains.

Thanks again for the info.

Q
Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
just curious as to why you want to put a temp gauge in it since the pcm already monitors trans fluid temp and will put the trans into hot mode at like 280 or 240 or something around there and it has a default shift and no tcc lock. and some of these trucks came with a factory temp gauge and im assuming this is a 4l80e
Temps that hot will damage a 4L60E.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
hatchaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Temps that hot will damage a 4L60E.
um thats why it goes into hot mode but you normaly would never experiance temp close to that high unless the trans is already hurt and the cooler have some restriction
Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
clinebarger

Quote:
um thats why it goes into hot mode but you normaly would never experiance temp close to that high unless the trans is already hurt and the cooler have some restriction
7000 lbs and steep grades are enough to build too much heat in an otherwise good 4L60E. GM engineers kinda dropped the ball on the "hot mode", unlocking the converter is no way to cool the transmission down, converter slippage builds heat
Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
hatchaddict

if the trans goes into hot mode your not suppose to keep driving if it goes into hot mode it defaults the trans to a shift state that is ment to get you to a safe place to pull over and not do as much damage as possible but like i said if it shouldnt go into hot mode unless there is already a problem with the trans. i pull a 3000 lb race car on a 2000lb trailer plus tires and tools and compressor and generator with a 1500 4wd silverado and i live in pa and we race in pa and wv i know a little bit about hills and have no problem with the tranny
Old 03-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #12
Quicy

Quote:
if the trans goes into hot mode your not suppose to keep driving if it goes into hot mode it defaults the trans to a shift state that is ment to get you to a safe place to pull over and not do as much damage as possible but like i said if it shouldnt go into hot mode unless there is already a problem with the trans. i pull a 3000 lb race car on a 2000lb trailer plus tires and tools and compressor and generator with a 1500 4wd silverado and i live in pa and we race in pa and wv i know a little bit about hills and have no problem with the tranny
Good to know,,, Are you saying that all hot mode does is unlock the torque converter at a predetermined temp? If that is the case the only thing I can think of is that the fluid circulates better when the TC is unlocked and cools better. Could someone educate me please?

Q
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
ed2552

There is a scanguage called the Aeroforce Interceptor ( http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ ) that can monitor anything that the PCM sees, and it also reads and cleares DTC's and it can do some performance monitoring. I have one in my 2003 Bonneville SSEi, and it works great. It shows Transmission Temp, along with tons of other information. That would be a better investment than a Trans. Temp gauge, as you now have a scanner/code reader to boot.
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote