The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
treefoil

Old Farmer's 72 Rebuild

I had been on this spring with video of a first start and run of a 72 C10 6 which had sat in a pasture for pretty close to 25 yrs. Farming is slowing down so I got back at the project...plus it needs to move before snow. Here are some photos of the truck pulled apart and a quick and dirty fender repair.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...pscajddlon.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...psqg9phoi0.jpg
treefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
treefoil

Re: Old Farmer's 72 Rebuild

...here's the finish on the fender...color match off the shelf...no trips to town. Get it on the road and keep the cash in the pocket.

Last edited by treefoil; 09-19-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
treefoil

Core support installed and one fender rough fitted. The battery area was pretty well rotted..battery holder, inner fender, fender and core support all had rust damage and where all repaired with varying levels of finish. I used the bottom of a 50 Ford Crestliner door to replace the bolting flange on the bottom of the core support.

Here's the fender I reworked. You'll be happy to know I put sheetmetal from a 68ish BelAir in this fix The new paint was rubbed out with steel wool to match old finish.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
treefoil

Second fender had some spot welds popped from a front end hit so a bit of straightening and rewelding and that side was ready to bolt back on. The radiator needed some resoldering, cleaning and the majority of its fins straightened...don't know how it cooled before this. Grille and core support both come from a 70 C10. I cut the center out of the 70 grille and epoxied the trim from the trashed 72 grille. I'll get a closeup of that fix...not perfect but very passable. Sprung for new insert. The idea is to get everything working well and fairly presentable and detail as we go. My Dad, now 85 is getting pretty excited about the thought of tooling around in this again.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
treefoil

You're probably cringing hearing about a 70 grille getting cut up to make a patched 72 grille....I struggled a bit with that but got over it. It wasn't something nice enough for someone to use...the center I cut out was beat up and I did some dent removal over the whole piece so no where near showroom....besides, I had it in hand and the new ones weren't in the budget. The grilles are identical except for the center piece I removed.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
treefoil

I pulled a steering wheel from the 70 donor and did some epoxy filling on the cracks. The 72 wheel was pretty far gone as you can see in the last photo. I used Ford Grabber Blue enamel which is a bit light but like I said, this is an off the shelf project.