The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

knocks sensor "2" 02 6.0HO

roomates #2 knock sensor i guess iss a dud as far as the techII is concerned. went and baught a new one cant find either sensor all outside the engine.

im assuming its going to be in the block valley but before i start that i was hoping to get confermation.

it could be a CPS also but im almost positive its the knock sensor i dont have him around so im not positive

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
hatchaddict

Re: knocks sensor "2" 02 6.0HO

yes this engine has 2 knock sensors in the vally and there is a problem with them getting water in the hole. when you pull the intake off theres a harness with 2 big rubber plugs that the wire go through and then you got to grap the plug on the top of the sensor with a pair of long needle nose to get them off. what code is it p0326?
hatchaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
bwood

Here is a copy and paste from another forum:

Here are the steps that you need to do to remove the intake manifold

Disconnect the accelerator control cable and the cruise control cable, if equipped, from the throttle shaft. Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Engine Controls.
Position the cables to the side.
Remove the engine sight shield mounting bracket and the bolts.

Remove the air cleaner duct.

Remove the inlet coolant hose from the throttle body.

Remove the vapor vent tube hose from the throttle body.
Remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) pipe bracket. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Pipe Replacement in Engine Controls-4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L.

Open the large electrical harness retainer, then remove one M6 nut in order to separate the engine harness from the intake manifold.

Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
Eight fuel injector connectors
Idle air control (IAC) motor
Throttle position (TP) sensor
Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge solenoid
Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
Set the electrical harness aside.
Disconnect the purge solenoid vent tube from the solenoid by squeezing the retainer, then release the tube from the solenoid. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement in Engine Controls - 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L.
Disconnect the fuel pipes from the fuel rail. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Metal Collar) in Engine Controls - 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L.

Remove the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.

Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve (2) and hose (1).
Remove the intake manifold from the engine. Refer to Intake Manifold Removal .
Clean and inspect the intake manifold and all sealing surfaces. Refer to Intake Manifold Cleaning and Inspection .
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
bwood

Here is some more reading from the same forum:

am replacing my knock sensors (P0332 Code)this weekend.
I have 2 questions:

1. I received my intake manifold gaskets yesterday. They do not appear to need any silicone or gasket sealant. Do I put some on anyway or just put them on as is.

2. According to TSB #02-06-04-023A I am supposed to throw away the foam that is around the rear knock sensor and build a RTV silicone dam with an opening around it. Does anyone have a diagram of what it should look like.

Thanks in advance
Roach

Here is the TSB for reference:

Subject: Audible Spark Knock (Detonation), MIL Illuminated, DTC P0332 Set (Replace Rear Bank Knock Sensor and RTV Area Around Sensor) #02-06-04-023A - (06/14/2002)

Models: 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird
with 5.7L Engine (VIN G -- RPO LS1)
1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002 Chevrolet Avalance
1999-2002 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, T, Z, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ9, LQ4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add Cadillac Escalade and Cadillac Escalade EXT to the Models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-023 (Section 6 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on a mild to severe engine ping (commonly referred to as spark knock), usually worse during acceleration and/or an illuminated MIL. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0332 set.

Cause
This condition may be the result of corrosion of the rear bank knock sensor due to water intrusion into the sensor cavity. This condition is more apparent on vehicles in which customers frequently wash the engine compartment.

Correction
Replace the rear bank knock sensor and build a dam (wall) around the sensor using RTV to divert water away from the sensor. Use the procedure and part number listed below.

Remove the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Remove the wiring harness assembly from the knock sensor.

Remove the rear bank knock sensor.
Install the new rear bank knock sensor.
Tighten
Tighten the knock sensor to 20 N·m(15 lb ft).

Install the wiring harness assembly to the knock sensor.

Apply a bead of RTV silicone sealant approximately 9 mm (3/8 in) wide and 6 mm (1/4 in) high along the outside edge of the ridge on the engine block valley cover around the rear bank knock sensor. DO NOT form a complete circle. Leave the rear section open as shown.
From the underside of the intake manifold, completely remove the rear intake manifold seal (foam material).
Install the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Sensor, Knock
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
hatchaddict

im pretty sure that you cant reuse the intake manifold bolts to. ^ good info for a at home deal
hatchaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

wow i hate new vehicles lol.. Thank for the in depth help yal.

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote