The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Big hec

2 AirRide setup questions

1. I'm going to do my first airride system install on my truck and was wondering I you more experienced guys could help me out. Looking for some pics of where you guys may have mounted everything. Tank, compressors, solenoids etc. I searched around but couldn't find any clear pictures.

2. has anyone ever used this kit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/F14-AirMaxxx...4c2eab&vxp=mtr. Looks to be a good deal.

Any help is appreciated.
Big hec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: 2 AirRide setup questions

What year truck? Check the build sections or the bagged truck photos thread and pm guys for specific info works well. Travis at az performance sls a bracket that holds tank and comps which bolts to the inner frame. Is your fuel tank relocated or stock poistion? I used cardboard mock ups of each and layed under them with a roll of tape
Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Big hec

I have a 70 swb. I have not relocated the gas tank. I'll check out the brackets. I was hoping not to spend much more since it is a budget build lol. But I'll start asking other people for specifics. Thnaks
Old 11-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
NEWFISHER

If its not a stepside, mounting two 3 gallon tanks and a compressor outboard the frame in front of the rear tire on each side looks like it works for most of the 67-72 crowd. Are you modifying the bed floor for max drop? If yes, they also hide everything above the driveshaft at the front of the bed and under the new floor.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Big hec

That's what I was thinking king. From what I could see, that's where they were. Just wanted to be sure. And its a fleetside. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

That kit says "Chassis Tech" which translates to AIM industries. Google them for tons of feedback, almost all of it bad.

When it comes to air springs, I strongly urge you to find a quality suppliers that offers premium products. We have several Forum Vendors that have great service at fair prices.

When it comes to adjustable suspension, its much better to save till you can afford to do it correctly, rather than having a "budget" system that gives problems. The cool factor goes away pretty quickly when your system doesnt work.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
Rochlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
That kit says "Chassis Tech" which translates to AIM industries. Google them for tons of feedback, almost all of it bad.

When it comes to air springs, I strongly urge you to find a quality suppliers that offers premium products. We have several Forum Vendors that have great service at fair prices.

When it comes to adjustable suspension, its much better to save till you can afford to do it correctly, rather than having a "budget" system that gives problems. The cool factor goes away pretty quickly when your system doesnt work.
Couldn't agree with the above more! I always hear, "I want to bag my truck cheap". When I hear that I think to myself, would you want to put brakes on your truck cheap or put a motor in cheap.

That being said I have bought from "chassis tech" years ago and had nothing but problems, just like everyone else.

Save up for the good stuff. You'll be happy you did.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Big hec

Good to know. Maybe I'll save a bit more and do it next year. Truck is about to get put away for the winter anyway. Thanks for looking out.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
SCOTI

Great advice about picking a system wisely vs strictly because it's cheap. Definitely Google AIM/Chassis Tech/Airbaggit.com before spending your hard earned money....

That being said, some places sell cheap stuff (quality).
Some places sell quality stuff @ a premium.

Then there are some that sell quality stuff @ competitive pricing because they don't carry the same overhead that possibly inflates others pricing. These are the guys you want to find. Find the quality parts (Firestone or Slam Specialties bags), research prices, research feedback of the vendor before making your decision. Several great vendors here in the Suspension Marketplace section.

Also, look @ the build threads & FAQ truck tech (suspension) sections for ideas on how to make parts that do a similar job while helping cut costs.

And..... Dude, there's no need to put your truck up for the winter season in DFW LoL.... Just wait a day & the weather will be ok.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Mikeeal33

Here we go!

The more I look at those kits on ebay, the more I think how much they would have probably saved me. Money and running around. It's not high quality stuff, but I bet it all works. The only concern I would have is using those cheap bags in the FRONT. My truck sits on the notches and is still able to drive so if one were to fail, no big deal I'm not stranded just cruise home. Personally I'd use everything in that kit except for the front bags, and buy a pair of dominators for about $120 and be done with it. Find some spindles on the cheap and you're in the whole thing for about a grand.

With that said it boils down to your goal with the truck. If you're building a show truck then you're not gonna want to put AirMaxxx compressors and ebay bags on your whip. Cool daily driver on a budget? Hell yeah slap that stuff on and drive it. Just carry some tools and a jack with you lolol.

This is assuming you've already spent the cash to update your brake system and any other mechanical issues, of course.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Big hec

Yeah, the brakes have been updated and the truck is mechanically sound. The truck isn't a show truck. But a truck that I drive when the weather is right that I take to shows. I've done some searching in the company and see that most of the complaints is the customer service. I was hoping to find someone with experience with this exact kit. Going to do some more research. But leaning towards just saving some more dinero and going with someone more reputable.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hec View Post
Yeah, the brakes have been updated and the truck is mechanically sound. The truck isn't a show truck. But a truck that I drive when the weather is right that I take to shows. I've done some searching in the company and see that most of the complaints is the customer service. I was hoping to find someone with experience with this exact kit. Going to do some more research. But leaning towards just saving some more dinero and going with someone more reputable.
Board vendors Boris (Way2Low2) & Travis @ AZperformance have pretty good deals on kits that aren't top of the line bling (AccuAir or Ride Tech's E3 for example) but cover all your bases.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
Mikeeal33

That's a good point, those guys could probably set up a bare bones "kit" for about the same price, PLUS you get the support if something goes array. With an ebay kit you better know how to improvise.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
Big hec

Thanks scoti. I'll try to get in contact with them. That's all I want. The basic set up to go up and down.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeal33 View Post
That's a good point, those guys could probably set up a bare bones "kit" for about the same price, PLUS you get the support if something goes array. With an ebay kit you better know how to improvise.
Exactly.... Customer service before & after the sale should there be a need. Exactly what the e-bay linked site has the noted reputation of NOT DOING..
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
SCOTI

Something from a board member about that company's products....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649719
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG