The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #176
OrrieG

Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

Thanks for the offer I am think more along the lines of late 60's, early 70 Vette finned aluminum units. I have a bunch of painted script ones like yours that would make great cores I am hanging onto.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #177
OrrieG

Big Brown Truck came today, kit looks good. Read the book and looks straight forward, I figure around 16 hours including time to figure out hidden routing. I am so stoked, it nice to be working with new clean parts instead of greasy crap. Also finishing up rattle can rebuild on the engine, photos to come when I get the accessories on it. Also attacking small body parts for sanding, inside door frame trim, headlight bezels, windshield trim. Also noticed that the new (two years ago) master cylinder is leaking at the front seal. I have a good one on the donor truck, guess lesson learned is even if its new you still have to exercise it to keep them from shrinking.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 07-22-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #178
OrrieG

RAttle Can rebuild of engine is ok. Turns out its a 4 bolt block. Hardly any ring wear, timing chain is good. Keeping it simple, old school. Chevy orange block, everything that is aluminum stays, brackets, pumps, etc. engine semi black (Dupicolor 1634 is the shade I prefer).

Found out that 350 harmonic balance is a lot bigger than 283 mock up engine, had to trim the front mounts for it to clear. Also had to trim the ps bracket to fit around the mounts.
Next is blasting the ram horn manifolds, rebuild the edlebrock performer and install it, and do the engine plumbing and vaccum.

Also scored a Delco HEI. Note that the manifold is a 70's dual plane high rise, I could not use it on my cars, no hood clearance, but will be fine on the truck. Still searching for the "right" valve covers, might have a line on some older M/T's. Take it easy...
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #179
bensimmons_05

Did you use rattlecan clear after ther color?

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #180
OrrieG

No, didn't think about it. There are some areas I will need to touch up after installing the accessories, hard as I try to be careful the water pump got dinged.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #181
jjjmm56

Just for an idea ,when I mounted my fuse block I first mounted a 16ga plate to the back of the fuse block. Then I used a strong magnet to mount the block to the firewall. This way if I need to wire in more circuts or check fuses I can remove the block and set it on the floor. I'll post a pic tomorrow
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #182
bensimmons_05

it's not bad that you didnt use clear, you just seemed to get more shine out of yours than most so thought you might have, but as it turns out its just your MAD skills!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #183
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjmm56 View Post
Just for an idea ,when I mounted my fuse block I first mounted a 16ga plate to the back of the fuse block. Then I used a strong magnet to mount the block to the firewall. This way if I need to wire in more circuts or check fuses I can remove the block and set it on the floor. I'll post a pic tomorrow
Great idea, I have just started thinking about the location. I was going to put in on a hinged panel. Did you use earth magnets or regular? Because of the potential jostling off road I would make provisions to use some zip ties as emergency restraints in case it gets shook loose.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #184
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensimmons_05 View Post
it's not bad that you didnt use clear, you just seemed to get more shine out of yours than most so thought you might have, but as it turns out its just your MAD skills!!!
The Duplicolor seems to flow and fill better than Kyrlon or Rustoleum, you just have to build it up in slow coats so it doesn't run.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #185
OrrieG

Progress since the last post has been small stuff, plumbed the engine, mounted the alternator and ps pump. hooked up a battery and tested the starter, the donor truck was having issues and I wanted to make sure it was the flywheel teeth and not something else, it worked fine. Other small stuff like heater hose fittings, tranfer case shifter and rods, auto trans filler tube. Have also been back on the cab tuning up the body work, seems like every time I think its done, I find something else I don't like. Nice thing is it has cooled down so the plastic is not flashing in 30 seconds.

I have decided to do the firewall and inner fenders in semi-gloss black so I can keep moving forward with low cost stuff. Tomorrow I plan on painting those plus radiator support and radiator. Then the cabs is going back on. Unfornately primer is all the interior is getting for now till work picks up.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #186
OrrieG

I'm going to give it a break. I've been pushing pretty hard, at start of summer I wanted to have it running in primer by Aug. 29 for a private car show I get invited to each year www.hotdayscoolcars.com

That's not going to happen so I have to take some time to get my 64 Chevelle cleaned up so I can take it, last year I won Kids Favorite Award! I'm going to put on all the new front end stuff (bumper, grill, hood (used but perfect), horseshoe and straight trim), new back bumper and clean up the interior and freshen up some primer.

On the truck I got the tranfercase shift linkage in, fluids in everything except for water, front drive live in and ordered some replacement parts for the Vintage air ac. I also replaced the brake master cylinder AGAIN and now have a habit of giving it 10 pumps everytime I go in the garage to keep the seals tight. I also need to go to El Paso on business for a while.

Last edited by OrrieG; 08-14-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #187
Bigblue29
Thanks 'til you're better paid

Nice. good luck with the show.

1950 Chevy AD 3100 pickup
2000 GMC Sierra

1970 Jeepster Commando
Bigblue29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #188
OrrieG

I was cleaning up the shop after the 64 Chevelle frenzy and decided to build the twin stick shifter for the NP203 transfer case. Here is the final result, the complete build thread for it is in the 4x4 section at http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=360447

The factory shifters are junk when they get old, they lock up between Unlock and Lock which means you get to spend quality time on your back with a big screwdriver prying the linkage back into place. This usually happen in standing water, mud or deep snow. Continuing with it half way between will trash the transfer case. I bought two other shifters and they all have the same problem. This gets rid of the sliding cams and replace it with straight levers.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #189
ambryatim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Big Brown Truck came today, kit looks good. Read the book and looks straight forward, I figure around 16 hours including time to figure out hidden routing. I am so stoked, it nice to be working with new clean parts instead of greasy crap. Also finishing up rattle can rebuild on the engine, photos to come when I get the accessories on it. Also attacking small body parts for sanding, inside door frame trim, headlight bezels, windshield trim. Also noticed that the new (two years ago) master cylinder is leaking at the front seal. I have a good one on the donor truck, guess lesson learned is even if its new you still have to exercise it to keep them from shrinking.
Is that the EZ21???? Also, how do you like it????
ambryatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #190
ambryatim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Is that the EZ21???? Also, how do you like it????
ambryatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #191
OrrieG

Still in the box, looks quality, everything labeled and proper sizes for the use. I had some questions and called them, the Owner answered the phone and was very helpful. Said when I got ready to wire some of the odd things like the winch, trailer circuits, etc. to call him back for some suggestions.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #192
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Hello Orrie,
You have a great build thread here. I have not had time to read all the pages in detail but there is a lot of cool innovation that the working man out in his garage can do and not have to spend piles of money to solve some of the issues! Your writing is clear and you dont use a bunch of abbreviations that old guys like me don't get. You almost talked me into taking the drive train out of an '89 K1500 Suburban I have to convert my '55 to a 4x4 but I better not rush into any decisions yet. I really would like to keep it a 6 banger 4 speed since my other trucks have small blocks.

I have to appreciate long time truck owners, as I tend to do the same thing. They are part of the family!
My Mom drove the same K5 Jimmy for 30 years. I guess thats where I got it from.

Keep up the good work!

Later---DAC

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #193
OrrieG

Thanks DAC. For the first ten years of its life my truck had a 235/sm465 combo with 4.10 rear end. Not fast but even with a fully loaded 8' camper would climb just about anything, the engine had lots of torque and granny gear maxed out at about 8 miles per hour.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #194
OrrieG

After spending a week or so in carb H*** with my Chevelle am back on the truck. This weekend got the front panel and drivers bed side down to metal. Passenger is in progress. Luckily I did all the welding, patching, etc. except for stuff related to deleting the chains before I stored them. Plastic should go fast. Also rounding up stuff for the bed (3/4" plywood with metal on each side).
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #195
OrrieG

Swine flu wiped me out for a while. Did get the exhaust manifolds done. Used the POR Cast Iron Hi Temp product. Flows and covers nicely in one coat. After 24 hours ok to handle. Still cleaning up the bed parts so I can get them etch primed and start some body work. Looks like this year will be like last, try and get some body work and priming done then stop until sping. Can still get the bed floor done, ac set up and build a console, figure out stero, etc.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #196
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Nice. I totally dig those ram horns.
That sucks about the flu

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350

Last edited by nickp51chevy; 10-02-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: 4got
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #197
OrrieG

Have the bed sides and front down to metal. Primed the inside with Rustoleum brush paint and will undercoat. It warmed back up so will get the etch prime and primer on Saturday for winter body work. Also going to get the PS pump lines in. Money is tight so I don't know if I'll get the cab firewall and inside painted and back on or will have to wait until spring.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:22 AM   #198
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Wow I should have looked for this build a long time ago, I saw your avatar but never saw the build of your truck. That's gotta be one of the sharpest looking body styles they ever made . It looks awesome, good work!!!
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #199
OrrieG

Bed sides and front panel are etch and sanding primered. Still great weather so moving quickly into plastic work on them today. Also got the cab primed at the last batch of repairs, I was not happy with the firewall, area below window in cab and other small stuff. Nice how primer always feels like major progress.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #200
bensimmons_05

Primer IS major progress... o for me to be there now.......

Can't wait to see more pictures, this is going to be an awesome truck.