The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #1
SMOKEY85

85 C-10 Alignment Issues (negative Camber)

I have an 85 c-10 with negative camber on rt side front wheel. Vehicle as I am aware has factory coil springs and controll arms. When I bought the truck used the wheels were pitched in at the top very bad. It did not appear the suspension had been touched since new. During getting the truck paint and body work I decided to put ground zero lowering spindles from summit racing in. I had a local shop install new controll arm bushings,and align front end. The shop said they could not align due to the fact that the right side has negative camber. They suggested I try installing offset crossbar shaft on upper controll arm to gain some distance out. I had them install the offset bar and still vehicle would not align. The front cross bars are shimmed out as far as they will go. I work at a collision repair shop and know what to look for as far as collision damage to the frame, it has all of the original parts on vehicle. It does not appear any thing has been repaired or replaced.I used the spindles to eliminate lowered suspension problems. I am trying to get this truck drivable and aligned before putting new wheels and tires on. This is going to be a custom daily driver. I do not have frame specs to measure the frame but it appear straight. Any suggestions please....
SMOKEY85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
The front cross bars are shimmed out as far as they will go.
Are you talking about the upper controls arms? If so, the shims are to be removed to move toward less negative camber. Adding shims is the wrong way. If you have gone this far (using the offset shaft) then something is definately bent somewhere though.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Longhair, you're wrong on this truck. More shims equals less negative camber on an 85 truck. The shims space the upper arm out from the frame. More shims equals positive camber gain.

If you have the upper arms shimmed all the way out, you must have like what over an inch of shims in there? The bolts are pretty long on these trucks. Something is definitelt bent on this thing. Either the frame rails are twisted in at the top or something is whacked with your control arms.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:27 AM   #4
LONGHAIR

Wow, I don't recall ever seeing anything with the upper control arm mounted to the outside of the mounting bracket.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Here's a picture Longhair.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
LONGHAIR

You're absolutely right.
Something is definately bent on SMOKEY85's truck. There is no way you should ever need more shims than would go on that.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:51 PM   #7
SMOKEY85

Thanks for the input, I will try to measure frame and hope the frame rails are rolled in. That should be an easy fix. (See picts. Thanks)
Attached Images

SMOKEY85 is offline   Reply With Quote