The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Do You take Road Signs & Markings Seriously?

I always wonder if some people read them at all, understand their meaning, or just don't care. They better care about this stop sign. It means "stop at the sign, not at the road!". The train comes through empty about the same time weekday afternoons. It criss-crosses the road a few times and when I was heading out I heard it blowing it's whistle at the crossings, so I caught it on video. Limited sight distance, ey?

https://youtu.be/XS8fECiXz2w

This single lane paved road was once the farm lane to the old farm I've been doing work at. It has been a dedicated county road for many years. In fact, it used to cross a creek and continue through till Hurricane Agnes in '73 wiped the bridge out. Now it services about ten residences.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Do You take Road Signs & Markings Seriously?

your vid says unavailable s-k

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
your vid says unavailable s-k
Doggone it! This is my first You Tube video since Photoransom dropped the bucket. I must have made it private. I can see it just fine. lemme see wudicando. Or does anyone know what I can do? I'm a total greenhorn, obviously

Hold on. I'm uploading it again as "Public". It said my account had no content. Really? then what is it I am looking at? I guess it means "public"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Link no worky for me. I was going to pick up some (heart) drugs for my little old dog (17 year old Maltese) and the next person stopped on the train tracks behind me. Stupid. How much of a hurry does one have to be in, to dance with Death?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

They can spend massive amounts of money doing studies, tv commercials and putting up signs, lights, bars and what have you but some people just won't use them to save their life.
I remember many years ago some folks lived out in the country and had a train track directly in front of their home. They had to cross the tracks to use their driveway and while there was no crossing bars or lights the people were very used to the train movements through there. One day in the middle of the morning they were heading to town and were hit by the train that ran by their house all the time. There were 2 women and 6 little kids in that car. Several were killed.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #6
In The Ten Ring

ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) is massively on the rise thanks in large part to smartphone addiction. With most people also addicted and completely dependent on GPS, I doubt most people notice anything at all, including road signs.

I pay great attention to road signs since those, along with a road map and asking directions, is how I navigate on the road.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:11 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Speed limit signs seem to get ignored by most. They just run as fast as their impulsive minds have them drive till they run up on a slower vehicle... or crash.

Road markings I think most don't understand the meanings. solid line means don't cross, white for edge of road and dividing lanes gind same direction, yellow marks center...meaning vehicles on other side traveling opposite direction, close short dots means turn lane, not passing or marking a second lane for passing, only dotted lines mean passing.

I get people jumping over into a turn lane as if it's a second lane all the time. Often, once past the side road that turn lane is for, a second lane develops and when I try to get over properly there is already an impulsive fool there.

Tim

Old 05-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
truckster

You know those yellow speed limit advisory signs? I definitely pay attention to them when I'm driving my motorhome.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
Black_Sheep

Other than bending the speed limit when I'm driving on the interstate, I follow the rules of the road.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

The whole point of limited access interstate hiways is to eliminate the risks found on traditional roads. All you need to do is pay attention, including what is beside and behind you, and speed should not be a safety matter. If you are driving at excessive speed you must realize you will be coming up on people faster than expected. I hate these a-holes who drive like they own the road and everyone is in their way. Oozing from lane to lane according to what suits them best, with nary a lane change signaled. It's not a race track and there are others to be concerned with who are not benefiting from your hurried pace. Don't put them at risk and carry on.

I live on a 30 mph country road and peple run double that. What I hate is when I am at the side of the road and they don't even let up or move over. Just rocket on by as if they are all that matters. Makes me want to drop what I am holding right in front of them. "Oops, must have lost my grip. I guess that's why the speed limit is 30. Sorry about your luck. Had you not been driving at double the posted speed, or possibly shown some regard for the human being you had no issue passing within inches when there is half the road to move over, perhaps this could have been avoided".

Tim

Old 05-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yeah, I speed on the freeway (going with the flow of traffic!); that's a victimless crime. Three times in all my years of commuting, I've run up against a CHP officer who came up from behind, and got just far enough ahead so that I could see who it is. Of course, I slowed down. I think it was probably late in their shift, and they just wanted to go home. Once I see them leave the freeway (and not reenter- I know that trick) I jet back up to speed. I haven't had a speeding ticket since '76, but honestly I deserved a speeding ticket every day I drove to work for over 30 years.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #12
jkk

For the most part I obey
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The whole point of limited access interstate hiways is to eliminate the risks found on traditional roads. All you need to do is pay attention, including what is beside and behind you, and speed should not be a safety matter. If you are driving at excessive speed you must realize you will be coming up on people faster than expected. I hate these a-holes who drive like they own the road and everyone is in their way. Oozing from lane to lane according to what suits them best, with nary a lane change signaled. It's not a race track and there are others to be concerned with who are not benefiting from your hurried pace. Don't put them at risk and carry on.

I live on a 30 mph country road and peple run double that. What I hate is when I am at the side of the road and they don't even let up or move over. Just rocket on by as if they are all that matters. Makes me want to drop what I am holding right in front of them. "Oops, must have lost my grip. I guess that's why the speed limit is 30. Sorry about your luck. Had you not been driving at double the posted speed, or possibly shown some regard for the human being you had no issue passing within inches when there is half the road to move over, perhaps this could have been avoided".
FWIW, I see the same thing in the grocery store. Self-centered jerks who don't make eye contact, and walk their carts right into you or your cart. I'm going to start wearing my shades in the store, and when someone tries that, give them a ram, just to be as big a beeyotch (I'm equal opportunity- guys do it, too) as they are being.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #14
yuccales

These two signs I took seriously! Not a great place for a picnic.
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
These two signs I took seriously! Not a great place for a picnic.
Snake crawls through the vegetation and it's poison inside & out.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

It's all because of those fully semiautomatic assault trains. Do they really need to be that big? We never had trains that big and fast 100 years ago.

I'm one of the rare ones. I read the signs that are pertinent to safety. I learned many moons ago the system and know which signs matter based on color and shape. Since there is so many advertisement signs I can see how the uneducated can get confused and have a mental shutdown
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

I admit I never paid attention, only what I happened to notice. Speeding tickets will teach you to notice those signs. Probably that's where it began for me. I admit I don't pay much heed to "Bridges May Be Icy" signs in July. In fact, I usually say to myself "That would be strange".

Yesterday I was rolling along a small back road down into the river valley. Too narrow for markings (must be 20' wide to allow for two 10' regulation lanes) and speed limit 30. I was hanging right at 30 enjoying the back road option I had taken when I round a bend to come up on a vehicle about to pull out of it's driveway, but halted once it saw me. I was thinking if I had pounding down the road like most around here it might not have turned out well. That led me to think how that resident of this road probably appreciated me driving on their road the way people are supposed to, the same way I feel about cars passing my house at an intelligent pace. Those folks get a wave from me, typically fast get ignored, and way too fast get stared through with a beam of evil intent . Anyway, as I was thinking these thoughts of being appreciated that car runs right up on my tail! They might of appreciated I didn't run up on them too fast back at the driveway, but now it's "Would you hurry up fer cryin' out loud?"

That is what hit me one day years ago. I'd be out front shaking my fist at people rocketing by on my 30 mph road, but on my route would be doing 50 on some other 30 mph roads. I don't care for hypocrites and don't want to be one. That, and just the whole respect others thing led me to either take the big road when in a hurry or slow the heck down, I'll still get there when I need to.

Tim

Old 05-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #18
The Rocknrod

Sometimes we just dont want to remember (or dont) that old man shaking his fist at us as we went by at a high rate of speed 30 years ago.
Been with my wife coming up on 40 years, every now and then she laughs and reminds me "ya right you never did that" and rolls her eyes. Oh yes we did, we as they did before us just realize our (and others) mortality.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #19
papawswrench

A few years of hot-shot trucking taught me to notice and ( usually ) obey signs.
papawswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #20
Killer Bee

I follow signs and painted lines for the most part along with my own common sense.. they aren't k-rails, they're painted..

if I need to speed up or slow down, changes lanes to yield to disabled motorists or emergency vehicles, etc. etc.

I even move wide [when clear] in my neighborhood for folks entering/exiting their vehicles.. many don't like there's a k-rail in the middle of the road

I use my senses to pay attention and adjust accordingly.. kids playing nearby where they might stray quickly into the street, I slow down to 10-15 whether it's posted or not..

I also consider the equipment I'm driving, road and weather conditions, where signs and road markings are not discriminating..

I'm much more concerned about a sleepy 95yo woman with cataracts in a 6000lb 67 4 door impala doing 65 than a rested healthy driver in a late model corvette doing 90..

but alas, common sense is not common anymore so we have to rely on our government nannies to attempt some sort of organization on the road..
Old 05-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #21
Boog
laying low

We have already veered off topic some but the lack of simple driver courtesy is everywhere. Happening more and more these days is a driver in the other lane passes you only to throw their turn signal on and turn right in front of you forcing you to brake hard to keep from hitting them instead of them pulling in behind you to make their turn. It happens even when its just the two of you on the road there. The most of them are the younger drivers. I guess its the ME FIRST mentality. Greed. The most recent incident was coming into work yesterday. A young woman did this to turn into a health club so it wasn’t by accident.
I’ve often thought I’d like to daily drive a junker with a huge push bar on the front so I could dish out some manners and driving lessons. Images of Road warrior come up.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would be happy if some just paid attention to their driving, you know, things like turn signals, remembering that a turn signal doesn't "confer right of way", and the biggie, that they are actually behind the wheel of a vehicle not their computer (cell phone).
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #23
toms68cst

Especially in the spring, I pay attention to "Bump Ahead" Signs in North Dakota. If they go to the trouble of putting one up, it's pretty bad!

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:54 PM   #24
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The cop told me that 95, was the route .....not the speed limit sign longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #25
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
The cop told me that 95, was the route .....not the speed limit sign longhorn
Heh, one of my wife's uncles got lost following highway 35 in (I think, might have been 25) Michigan, going to visit family, thinking that the speed limit signs were highway signs. The same guy could use one route to get to a place, but not use the reverse route to get back home. If I have driven TO a place, I can drive FROM it to get home, guaranteed.

Simi Valley, CA