The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
chrapladm

Can someone tell me what has been done to this truck?

I am sorry for asking such a noob question but I am trying to get a budget together and want to know what I am in for. I really love the stance of this truck. It is the C20 from the movie "Gamer."

SO for starters it looks like they had a long bed truck and then just extended the cab?

I dont know for sure but this is what I am guessing. I also like the wheel placement under the bed of the truck pushed back towards the rear bumper. Most trucks have a centered wheel placement.

Also I do know that the truck also has new wheel wells cutout from the original. I do believe the wheels are 22/24 combo. But maybe I am wrong. Thats not really that important. Also wanted to know if the cab had been chopped at all. Cants really tell but it appears yes. The truck has a very wide look to it.

I am not a fan of the front grille at all so I will stick with something stock or something of my own design.

My own wants will be a version of this truck with a LBZ diesel and a few simple mods. Nothing crazy and this truck wont be a low rider. Maybe a 3/3 drop depending on the stance and that about does it. Am a big cummins fan but since I am looking at building up a C10/20/30(depending on what I find) I figured I would stick with the much lighter Duramax.

Anyways thanks to all who can shed some light on mods that have been done. I know there are a lot of little details that have been done to this truck also but I am only after the ones I mentions. Dont worry about removing drip rails, making bumpers flush ect ect.

Here are pics:

chrapladm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
pontgta

Re: Can someone tell me what has been done to this truck?

Well i like the idea, but that is one ugly truck.. Looks way to much like DODGE
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
chrapladm

Yes it does. Take away the grille and keep it closer to original and cut down on the wheel flares and it would look more like a Chevy. Chevy to this day is still what I would call an industrial looking design. Still a lot of square panels and openings in 2016 and I dont want a vintage truck looking like another brand. SO with those huge wheels well opening and flares it reminds me of Dodge also. No no for me.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Front Range

"1973 GMC C20 with a few sheet metal modifications and Rock Star rims" according to a few sites.

Body-wise looks like slightly extended cab, side glass added, shortened front of bed, shortened rear of bed, chopped front off fenders and slightly extended to match custom front grille, modified wheel wells, chopped leading edge on hood and removed hood center crease, custom grille/bumper and ginormous fender flares, sliders, mirror mod.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
daddyjeep

A lot of off road guys shorten the rear overhang on the bed. This is known as a bobbed bed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...61946969285585

I like the slightly extended cab too. The cab would be a whole bunch of work, but the bobbing of the bed is pretty straight forward.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
riz

Other than making it look ugly as hell ???

Riz
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
MF Doom

Love the idea of the extended cab! i have been thinking of something like this for a long time lol and i also like the flared fender but they overdid them on the front imo. Everything else i personally don't like but atleast it flows not like the conversion where they look nowhere near identical
MF Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
chrapladm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range View Post
"1973 GMC C20 with a few sheet metal modifications and Rock Star rims" according to a few sites.

Body-wise looks like slightly extended cab, side glass added, shortened front of bed, shortened rear of bed, chopped front off fenders and slightly extended to match custom front grille, modified wheel wells, chopped leading edge on hood and removed hood center crease, custom grille/bumper and ginormous fender flares, sliders, mirror mod.
Huge thanks for your input. Forgot about the hood change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
A lot of off road guys shorten the rear overhang on the bed. This is known as a bobbed bed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...61946969285585

I like the slightly extended cab too. The cab would be a whole bunch of work, but the bobbing of the bed is pretty straight forward.

I completely forgot about bobbing of the bed. I know a lot about 4x4 mods as I am more accustomed to, but had not seen it on a lowered truck before. I usually raise trucks up not lower them .LOL I would love to have the extended cab but that will be the very last mod I will ever do. That also will probably be done by someone else or someone overseeing me.

This is the best picture of a bobbed bed I could find. Most of the ones I saw looked horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
Other than making it look ugly as hell ???

Riz
I dont think it looks ugly at all stance wise. I am not a fan of the front grille at all and I love mad max cars. I like the fender wells but they are ginormous and take away too much of the C10 look. I like the raised rear large tire stance and huge tire combo. Muscle car like. So definitely a 11 or 12" wide rear tire for me. But trust me I can see how you think this truck is ugly. I will be taking a few truck pictures and using them as guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF Doom View Post
Love the idea of the extended cab! i have been thinking of something like this for a long time lol and i also like the flared fender but they overdid them on the front imo. Everything else i personally don't like but atleast it flows not like the conversion where they look nowhere near identical
I wouldnt even know where to start on the extended cab so as I said that will be last to be done. And quite possibly you might have your conversion done before me.

Does anyone know of a build thread on a shaved firewall? I will try to search out what threads are good but didnt know if any one knew off hand. I am knew here but not the search function of a forum .

Also Front Range or others would it be best to start off with a regular LWB truck?

Am I assuming correctly, that this truck is a LWB C20 and just has a modified bed front and back?

It would seem I need to start with a LWB truck and cut the rear of the bed off. Then extend the cab rear line and shorten the bed front accordingly.

This picture below has a cab with a chop top and it does look like the C20 gamer has a chop to it also. Not 100% though.

Last edited by chrapladm; 04-28-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Front Range

The guys in the paint and body section could give you better advice then I can. Look for Martinsr, Foot Stomper etc.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #10
andrewmp6

You can only push the rear axle back to far with leaf springs,But if you 4 link it you could push it as far as you want.Yes the truck has it roof chopped 2 or maybe 3 inches.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
chrapladm

I didnt think they moved the axle back at all. Just a bobb on the rear for the look along with the extended cab adjustments.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #12
wilkin250r

I see some MAJOR sheet-metal modifications, and I'm not just talking about the wheel wells.

Look at the body line, on a normal 1973 C20 the sheet metal just above the body line is concave (bends inwards). On this modification, it is convex (bends outwards). That's not going to be easy. If that aspect is important, you might be better off starting with a 67-72 body style.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
chrapladm

Not sure which area your talking about for the outward slope. I still see similar angles on the sheet metal sides for OEM and Gamer truck. Now the wheel wells add a massive lip which I know about. I can tell also that the Gamer C20 looks to have a straight angle to the top where the OEM has a curve after the body line then goes vertical at the top corner.

Better picture of the lines I think we are talking about. The C20 Gamer is not curved at all but just a straight angle. But anyways if I wanted to have the exact same design I would copy the sides and everything. But for me I dont feel like bending all new panels on the whole truck for now. I like playing with a bead roller but thats not needed for my wants.

Stance, Bobb, Chop and possibly extended cab is what I am after. The picture I found with the chop top and shaved sides and primer paint is almost exactly what I am wanting.

I think with the stance and the chop top is what really sells me on this look. After doing a lot of searches now it seems to be the look I am after. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel. Mod here and there is fine but I do know the G C20 is LOT of work. And I hate the front grille and will never have an all black truck either.

One last question is does anyone know what the max tire height is on a 3/3 drop C10 or even a stock height c10?

I hate seeing trucks lowered so low that they have to make a 20 point turn to back out of a drive way. Probably silly but just curious also.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
Front Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
I see some MAJOR sheet-metal modifications, and I'm not just talking about the wheel wells.

Look at the body line, on a normal 1973 C20 the sheet metal just above the body line is concave (bends inwards). On this modification, it is convex (bends outwards). That's not going to be easy. If that aspect is important, you might be better off starting with a 67-72 body style.
Good eye Wilkin, almost looks like they cut the top concave curve out (middle of fender to top of fender) and flipped it around and welded it back in so it's convex.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #15
Cowdogpete

Ruined it....
Cowdogpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #16
Gmc.guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowdogpete View Post
Ruined it....
I bet there is 6 inch of bondo, spray foam and Fiberglass. Lots of movie cars were hacks Sheet metal work takes too long for the movie makers
Old 05-02-2016, 05:27 AM   #17
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmc.guy View Post
I bet there is 6 inch of bondo, spray foam and Fiberglass. Lots of movie cars were hacks Sheet metal work takes too long for the movie makers
Unfortunately you are correct. They did something to fill the scallop above the body line. Probably foam and bondo. It's faster and easier to carve foam and bondo then cover it with paint.
That filled area makes it look more like a Dodge Power Wagon and not a Squarebody... Not my bag but if you want to build one go to it. Lot's of time and money to do it in metal.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #18
LeesTruk

Looks like it fell out of the "Fugly" tree, and hit every branch on the way down

Just sayin'.......
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
chrapladm

You guys dont know art when you see it. LOL. J/K As I said its more the stance and extended truck that I like. So

So take this truck raise it up a little with the sloped stance and a 22/24 combo with extended cab and thats my goal. I dont want a dodge looking Chevy. I like the square body look and will preserve that in my build.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 AM   #20
Gmc.guy

Hey.. I know what art looks like. And most is worse than that. Haha. I'm not one to bash someone's style. I just don't like it. The truck above looks sweet. I think less chop looks better on these trucks. The roof doesn't look quite right with how tall the bedside and fender look when chopped more than a few inches I think.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 AM   #21
chrapladm

This is the first time I have seen a chopped square body. SO I will have to do a search and see what other pics I can find and see what amount I like.

I dont mind the chop the way it is in the picture above. BUT I might hate driving it chopped that much. SO I might have to agree with you and say less chop would be better. Either way it adds to the look and I do like it aesthetically. If thats a 4" chop maybe 2.5". Will just have to look at other pics to see. If not photoshop will have to do.

And so far most of the pics I have seen look horrible with the chop top.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #22
wilkin250r

I don't know about "hate driving". I just figured that's what the extended cab portion was for, to lay the seat back a little bit.

Now, if you chop it, but DON'T extend the cab, then I think you're in for a lifetime of neck cramps.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
Clooney

How are you coming along with this build? I love the stance of this as well and would like to build one.
Clooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #24
chrapladm

This will be a very slow project. I plan on selling my parts back home and either buying a used drive train or the whole truck to transplant into this truck. Whole truck would be cheaper. If only drive train I would have the benefit of knowing I shouldnt have any problems. So not sure on that one yet. Thats way down the road.

SO for me it will be to see what all is needed and then gather parts. After that I have to submit all ideas and changes I want to make to the local government to be approved. Hopefully everything will be fine and then I can continue. If not, I will have to change some ideas. I will most likely just start off with a lowered truck, wheels and drive train swap. 20/22's, LBZ or LLY for the engine and A1000. That should about do it. Lots of interior stuff I will be working on until I can afford the expensive parts.

So things wont be moving fast. And will the strict rules here I can just take the C20 body off its chassis and put it on the newer chassis. So that idea is out.

Last edited by chrapladm; 07-23-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 AM   #25
'68 Newtricks

looks like a ram and a frontier had a baby