The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2018, 02:10 AM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

ECE 1 1/2" Drop Shackle install question.

I just installed these drop shackles on my '72 C10 with Rear HD Leaf Springs. I also replaced the spring eye bushings with MOOG brand bushings and installed new 9/16" round U Bolts from the bottom of the axle up through some after market spring plates.
The whole project was a PITA! The leaf spring attaching bolts were at least 20 years old. The front drivers side attaching bolt was a M'FER! Heat and beat, spray lube, didn't do squat. Ended up breaking out the sawzall and angle grinder. The bushings sleeve had rusted itself to the grade 8 bolt. But I got it. A buddy of mine has a 12 ton shop press, with out it I doubt I would have been able to do this job.
Anyways, I got everything back together. Only took me until 1:30 a.m. this morning to finish it all up to be able to drive the 30 miles home and "take a nap" before work at 6:00 a.m. this morning.
The question I have is that i noticed i installed the ECE shackles reverse of the factory installed shackles, is this a problem? Does it even matter? How important is it that i fix it and turn them around? Like dont drive it anymore than necessary or is it ok til after work? Pictures should explain.

I emailed ECE but it was after hours. Obviously I took pictures of before and after, but I was tired and just focused on getting my truck in a driveable condition to make it home.
No luck on Google either. Seems like it could be installed either way and be fine. Shackle angle came up though and I'm not sure if it applies here.

Everything went back together, had to beat the new leaf spring attaching bolts back into their respective hangers though (possible indication things weren't right???)

Any advice is appreciated and I should be hearing back from ECE tomorrow sometime. They are pretty good at customer service and are one of my top favorite vendors to deal with.

Thanks in Advance.
P.S. I APOLOGIZE FOR THE SIDEWAYS PICTURES. I cant seem to figure out how to have them come out "Correct".
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Bentbolt

Re: ECE 1 1/2" Drop Shackle install question.

the bolt holes look like they are centered in the shackle. it shouldn't matter on the parts that move constant. if the holes in the shackle was offset one side or other and a fixed part or link had to bolt to it would matter then. as long as the leaf can cycle with out hitting the shackle you will be fine.
Bentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Mike_The_Grad

Thanks Bentbolt. Funny post considering your name. Lol. I agree with you. That's kinda how I decided on which way to install them. Plus I figured since ECE stamped their name into them they would probably want it to be seen.

I emailed ECE's Tech Support and one of their guys walked out to the showroom and snapped a picture of a c10 frame they have with one half of it painted red with all of their parts and the other half is stock. It's pretty cool. He sent me the pic with one sentence saying: "This is the correct way to install our shackles."
This is why I continue to shop ECE. They have the best customer service out of all of the vendors I've gone through. ( at least 5-6 so far.)

It turns out that I did install them correctly and I am happy with their drop shackles.

I recommend ECE for any product they offer.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Bentbolt

mike good deal.

Bentbolt name came from a Remington 700 rifle I bought brand new years back the I couldn't get the bolt in the action as the bolt was bent and got jambed up in the races. I shoot long range precision completion and I use the name on all forums.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:25 AM   #5
Mike_The_Grad

That's pretty cool. Makes sense. I'd be pretty bummed to find out my rifle had a bent bolt.

I got my name from a homebrewers club that hold an annual members only camping trip in santa Barbara county. I was told that the theme for the year I joined was "Funny Hats" so not wanting to put to much thought into it, I grabbed my graduation cap. Well, the "funny hat" thing is kind of a joke amongst them that they tell all the new members. Normally it wouldn't be anything to even remember except that I wore mine all weekend and after drinking nothing but homebrewed beer I passed out wearing boardshorts and my grad cap outside my tent. It was such a memorable picture that the club made it their Facebook homepage. It stayed that way until the following year. I made a lot of good friends that weekend.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
Bentbolt

some people put way to much thought on to there names.