The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
poncho_villa

tire monitoring system

I have a 2007 Silverado with the tire monitoring system. Yesterday I had snow tires put on and now I get alerts coming up all the time on my dash. I have tried to recalibrate the valve stem sensors with the instructions in the manual but have had no luck. Anybody out there know of any secrets to fix this?
poncho_villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

Re: tire monitoring system

Does it still have the metal valve stems on it? If it does and it is setting a light after relearning tire positions and driving it I would venture to guess the tire shop broke one of your sensors putting the tires on... I've seen it happen quite often. Try to get the tire shop to pay for them as they can run $40-90 ea, If they refuse I'll check my stash at work but I don't think I got any for an 07....
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Remind them that any shop that disables a TPMS is opening themselves up to a $5000 fine. It is federal law that the new vehicles have it. Let me know if you need more info, I can get it from work.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
poncho_villa

Okay...here's the skinny on the new GM TPMS....I just got back from the chevy dealership. The new system is based on a factory calibrated tire pressure amount. The four sensors are set individually, not all four working on a per-cent basis like earlier years. The new studded snow tires I had installed on Friday need 50 psi but the sensors were set at 32psi. So they went through the process with there hand held gizmo to re-calibrate and charged me $61 cause it's a non warranty issue. So in the spring when I gotta go back to the summer tires I get to do this again. I can keep track of my tire pressure just fine on my other vehicles. I would love to disable this. The T in TPMS stands for tire.....we all know what "PMS" is all about.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

I agree. We can thank Ford and Firestones problems a few years back for it being Law now...
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
poncho_villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by centsless View Post
I agree. We can thank Ford and Firestones problems a few years back for it being Law now...
Yeah....kinda why I go with Chevy and went with Goodyear. Oh sigh
Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
DavesRide

If I might expand on Poncho Villa's comments. I recently left my position as a tech at a Chevrolet dealer. The tire pressure amounts can be changed as required. As a tech, with the scan tool (tech II) change the preset amount of each tire pressure. After you do that you must relearn each tires position. It can be done with the special tool or manually.
In manual relearn it goes like this.
1. Set parking brake. IMPORTANT. Turn key on. not running.
2. If you have the steering wheel controls go to tire monitor relearn and acknowledge.
3. If you don't, turn on key, and turn park lights on and off 4 times ending up with them on. The horn should honk.
4. Starting with the driver's front, let air out or put in air until horn honks. You will also notice that that marker light will be illuminated and each of the others will light up on the appropriate corner you should be working on.
5. move on to the passenger front, the passenger rear and finishing with the drivers rear. When you have relearned all four the horn will double honk. Turn key off and you are done.
6. You only have five minutes to accomplish this as it will time out and you will have to start over.
OK, Have them change the pressure at your local GM dealer or where someone has a tech II. Thenyou can take care of business from there. The newer vehicles 06 and 07 turn offlight when pressures are correct. The older models have to be reset when the Low Tire Light comes on. Remember that when it is cold outside you gotta put more air in them to make it right or the light will come on when tires are cold. Dave
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #8
poncho_villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesRide View Post
The tire pressure amounts can be changed as required. As a tech, with the scan tool (tech II) change the preset amount of each tire pressure. After you do that you must relearn each tires position. It can be done with the special tool or manually.

Hey Dave, thanks for your input. A couple of questions I have tho,...to relearn the tire positions with the special tool....is this the same tech II scan tool used to change the tire pressure values? And is this scan tool available to tire shops or average backyard garage mechanics like me?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You should have checked with the place where you bought the tires. If they are a volume shop they can recalibrate your sensors for you. Mine did...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #10
poncho_villa

Actually I was back there again today as the tire shop insists on re-torqueing the lug nuts. I went straight there from the dealership. They don't have one of those tech II scan tools and don't seem too interested in acquiring one. I would have thought that it would be their responsibility to re-calibrate those sensors. The same as they should do the re-balance when installing tires. I guess they will have to change with the times also.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
DavesRide

It is a different tool. It is a different tool. It will allow you to read each sensors ID and see the pressure. It it a lot quicker and expensive. I have seen them for sale from tool suppliers. Sorry for the double sentence. My deleat button just died.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #12
DavesRide

The sensors in the wheels are little transmitters like your key fob. They project a frequency that is picked up by the reciever in the LTPWS in the passenger window switch module. The tool you are talking about picks up on their frequency and sends it on to the reciever (switch module) which then sends the info to the Body Control Module (BCM) which then reacts to the info and then sends out info to the appropriate functions such as the lights, horns, and other modules (cluster). Note that the information being shared between the wheel sensors to the door module is wireless. The motion of the wheel causes the sensor to transmit. Letting air in and out of your tire does the same by the means of a tiny spinning fan at valve stem. To get the recievers to get a signal one of the three must be happening. If air is from a leaking tire IE nail, then when the tire starts to roll sometimes for a half of a block the reciever will send a flag to BCM and then to cluster.
It's really simple once you have the psi levels set into computer. Keep them within 15% either way from the rest of the tires and the light wil stay off until you rotate them. Then just perform the relearn manually. FOR FREE.
The long winded version. David
Old 11-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
poncho_villa

Hey David, Thanks for the enlightenment. There is lots of detail info that myself and others will need to know for future reference. Once everything is set and in place, it is probably a great monitoring system. The one real wrinkle in the plan is that those new tires that I had installed are studded winter tires and I legally have to remove them come springtime.(wear and tear of our paved roads). So I have two options. One is that I get the summer tires reinstalled in the spring and get the dealer to again re-calibrate the sensors to 32 psi from the 50 psi they're at now and re-learn the tire locations. Or I go shopping for a set of 4 wheels and also 4 more sensors and have that all assembled with my summers for a complete set and leave the set I got now strictly for winter. Might be worth my while to keep an eye on the wreaking yards for wheels from a 2007.