The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
weaintscared

Re: My first C10 build, can't wait.

Welcome to the site and enjoy your build there's lots on info on here to help you along the way. You talking about shaving the firewall I did mine and man did it make it look clean,, check out my build,,

We ain't scared.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468622
Posted via Mobile Device
weaintscared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #27
NewType72

Movin pretty good man reminds me of when mine was flat black in front ah to be rid of flat black I'm in cant wait to see the shaved firewall and porterbuilt ;D

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
mikeleeshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_hillbilly View Post
Lookin good bro! You find a grill yet? I still got my eye out for one for ya
Posted via Mobile Device
I haven't found a grille yet. Still looking. I have been spending time ripping it apart.
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
mikeleeshields

Thanks on the comments. I am trying to make some progress on this thing. I have a lot more interest in this project than the last two that sat in my garage forever.

This weekend I welded up heater core holes on the fire wall, fixed one of the cancer spots to reveal yet more that has to be cut out. But the I wanted the cab off bad enough so a few ratchet straps and 2x4's later it was off. You may call it redneck or something, but I call it ingenuity, haha.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
mikeleeshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaintscared View Post
Welcome to the site and enjoy your build there's lots on info on here to help you along the way. You talking about shaving the firewall I did mine and man did it make it look clean,, check out my build,,

We ain't scared.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468622
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the comments. I see you welded your cab seam up. That doesn't appear to be too difficult, what did you think?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #31
mikeleeshields

I am finally back to working on this darn thing. A winter of finishing a basement that still has to be mudded and finished but it is under way. Priorities sometimes get in the way of play I guess.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #32
mikeleeshields

As far as the progress on the truck I am in the process of stripping the frame down. I have talked to Dave at Porterbuilt and hope to place an order this week for a full blown front and rear suspension. Once I have that I think it will be hard to not work on this darn thing to get it back on the road.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #33
mikeleeshields

I got myself some new Arizona doors off of CL a couple weeks ago. I see what you guys get to deal with first hand out there now, they were like brand new and have been sitting in a garage since 1996.

I took the engine out tonight and remove the power steering stuff that will not be needed anymore. I have so many extra parts now from body parts to suspension parts i could probably build a new truck, lol.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #34
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeshields View Post
As far as the progress on the truck I am in the process of stripping the frame down. I have talked to Dave at Porterbuilt and hope to place an order this week for a full blown front and rear suspension. Once I have that I think it will be hard to not work on this darn thing to get it back on the road.
I'm guessing since you are ordering Porterbuilt suspension that you plan on frame laying the truck.
I have watched tons of builds on the board using Porterbuilt suspension, some advice if I may, if you plan on installing rack and pinion steering, ask Porterbuilt which one to get and also which version of tubular control arms you need to go with it, you will be glad you did, I have watched more than one of these builds stop cold because they purchased the wrong control arms, powder coated them then couldn't return them to get the other version, and when you are spending that much money you don't want to make a mistake like that.
Good luck on the build, subscribed.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #35
mikeleeshields

Thanks for the concern. I have talked this through with PB and know everything necessary to hopefully make this a smooth transition to laying frame. The only decision I have to make is do I buy control arms now or go with the 73 arms to save a grand at this time and just have to tear it back apart in the future when im not happy. I will probably go all out and get their control arms also.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #36
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeshields View Post
Thanks for the concern. I have talked this through with PB and know everything necessary to hopefully make this a smooth transition to laying frame. The only decision I have to make is do I buy control arms now or go with the 73 arms to save a grand at this time and just have to tear it back apart in the future when im not happy. I will probably go all out and get their control arms also.
If you go with factory control arms you will run into problems with the ball joints being at an extreme angle, you may have to section the end of the upper control arm and change the mounting angle for the ball joint.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #37
mikeleeshields

Well it's official. The order is in. Just got done talking to Dave at Porterbuilt. In about 8 weeks, hopefully sooner, I will have full front dropmember, rnp, control arms, and extreme rear. I may be much more brokenow but I will have one he'll of a frame for the ride though lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #38
NewType72

sweet man!! goota love that kinda news

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #39
mikeleeshields

I spent the last couple days cutting out floorboards out to get ready to patch them. I am debating on sandblasting the supports before welding in the patches. Does everyone recommend doing so or just weld them in and POR 15 them?

If so where should I get a sandblaster at? I was looking at TSC today for a reasonably priced one. Seems like it should do the job.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #40
mikeleeshields

Got my patch panels made and sitting in place along with my cut down front pans. Now all I have to do is cut them down and get them ready for welding. I also made new plates plates that sit are spot welded to the tops of the side supports.

I also bought me a new toy at the local TSC store. I'm hoping it will do a decent job. I am sure the 100 lbs of sand (black metal oxide) will not be nearly enough for everything that needs blasted. But it is a start.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #41
mikeleeshields

Oh yea and one more note. Dave from PB sent out my steering components today, just a teaser I'm sure because I have to wait about 2 months for all my other goodies.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #42
mikeleeshields

Man that was quick. Got my Unisteer rack and pinion from PB today.

Still massaging the filler pieces to fit the cutouts so I can try to get this floor completed.
Attached Images

Mike
Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #43
mikeleeshields

Time for another break for about a week. I have to head to South Africa for work. Wish me luck.

Mike
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #44
mikeleeshields

I made it back from South Africa safely. Nothing like 36 hours of flying.

I am going to start blasting the cab this week.

I have a question about the floor pans before I start installing them. Is the channel (marked in green) really necessary or can it be removed and have a smooth transition from the floor pan to the rocker? Just curious if anyone has ever done this?
Attached Images

Mike
Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #45
mikeleeshields

I got the driver's side floor brace welded in the other day. I hope to get the drivers floor patches tacked in tonight.

Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #46
mikeleeshields

I have the floors welded in finally. Time to turn the cab over and finish up the bottom side and tackle the rest of the items left to weld up on the cab. I also welded up the filler neck hole too.

Once this cab is done then I can start dismantling the frame for my PB parts that should be arriving in the next month.
Attached Images

Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #47
67c10rustbuket

Great job on the floors! Basement looks good too.
Posted via Mobile Device

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #48
mikeleeshields

I finished the bottom up and have it undercoated now. Ready to flip it back over. Fixed some cancer in the front window track. I also started working on my frame getting it ready for some PB goodies soon. Got the front crossmember off today. I will post some pics later.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #49
Hardesty454

Looking pretty good so far! I believe that channel you were wanting to remove is required so you can have your door seal correctly. I may be wrong though!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #50
mikeleeshields

Thanks. I left the channel. Pics soon to come.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike