The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
baggedbigblock

Bagging my 65 C10 on a budget

First off I am not trying to lay frame, but to get as low as possible on a budget. I already have a disk brake kit for the front, and am about to purchase spindles and bags.

Truck is 350/700r4 long bed being turned into a short bed

For the front
Modified crossmember from a local fabricator, airbags (slams?? what size), spindles. I want to install a manual rack, but I dont know what I need to buy.

Rear, I want to keep it simple, notch (I dont mind cutting the bed) stock trailing arms if possible and a bag setup. I was thinking stock arms with blocks, but will the pinion angle be ok? also bag location....over the axle or on the trailing arm, and who sells the brackets?

I am going to buy slam bags but what size and just go with schrader valves for now until I can buy the compressor, switches, etc etc
baggedbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Scottshotrods

Re: Bagging my 65 C10 on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedbigblock View Post
First off I am not trying to lay frame, but to get as low as possible on a budget. I already have a disk brake kit for the front, and am about to purchase spindles and bags.

For the front
Modified crossmember from a local fabricator, airbags (slams?? what size), spindles. I want to install a manual rack, but I dont know what I need to buy.

Rear, I want to keep it simple, notch (I dont mind cutting the bed) stock trailing arms if possible and a bag setup. I was thinking stock arms with blocks, but will the pinion angle be ok? also bag location....over the axle or on the trailing arm, and who sells the brackets?

I am going to buy slam bags but what size and just go with schrader valves for now until I can buy the compressor, switches, etc etc
Call us up this morning or e-mails us we can save you $$$$$$$ jonm@scottshotrods.com 805 485-0382
Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
kieth

Quote:

For the front

what rear suspension do you have, leaf or coil......???
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
jimmydean

Mount the bags in the rear in place of the coils, notch the frame, then add up to a 3" block. You will have to cut the bed a little. Nothing needed for the rear but hardware and fittings.

I ran 7" Slams in the front and 6" in the rear of my '69, I will be doing the same on my '66.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
baggedbigblock

I have trailing arms with coils in the rear. Where can I get brackets for the rear with stock location, or do I need to make custom brackets?

Scottshotrods I will give you guys a call tomorrow

Do I need shims with the 3" block? I will will running 400bhp and I dont want any drive line alignment issues

Last edited by baggedbigblock; 01-04-2011 at 09:20 PM.
baggedbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
baggedout81

Check out my boys 65 build up on here.We've done his bagged on a budget
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...332884&page=16

Slam 7" bags in front an firestone 2600 in rear.Front was a bolt on plate he made that bolts to the bottom of frame.He opted to box in the lower arms (check his build 4 pics).As for the rear we actually took the upper bag cups outa the rear of my cutlass an they fit perfect for the upper bag mounts then we just got a long bolt thru the stock location on the lower trailing arms up to bag an screwed in to bag

Gonna run a york for air an a smaller viair for a back up.

4 valve set up for front and 2 valve "t'd" off on the rear

1/2" line for the front 3/8" for the rear
baggedout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
baggedout81

Oh an he welded in a small notch in the rear.No cutting up the bed floor here
baggedout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Lowl!f3

Quote:

For the front

You will need to set the pinion angle at ride height. So set it at the height you will be driving the truck. Pinion angle will change as the geometry of the suspension changes. Thats on every truck or car.

My bad, old post resurection :/