The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
68bowtie

NOS question

honest question... if nos parts are so rare, why is it for sale everywhere? where does it come from?

for example, i search for 67-68 eyebrow trim and find several pairs of nos for sale on ebay and the parts board (for lots of $$$) but can't find a single piece of used originals. it just seems odd to me...

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:09 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: NOS question

Nos parts are held onto and sold as prices go up. A lot of them aren't purchased for actual use, rather they are looked at as investments...and it's easy to see why with watching how a lot of them bring big $$$. GM no longer makes them so the price has nowhere to go but up.

Used original parts stay in place. Replacing them with NOS pieces doesn't make sense when everything else surrounding it is worn, unless you are doing a full blown restoration.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:30 AM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Exercising patients and you will find the good used parts you need. The parts board here on this forum is the best place to find/locate the parts you need.

To add to what leddzepp said, once you take an NOS part out of its original wrapping and actually use it, the value goes down as well. It is only NOS if it has never been installed and used.

The nice thing about NOS parts from my perspective (especially gauges) is you know they will fit and work correctly. They may have some shelf wear ut the overall function and condition of the part will be true to form. Beware of NOS deals to good to be true on ebay. There are a lot of cheaters out there.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

What's a NOS question? One that was asked many years ago and never answered?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
bollybib

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
brown7373

Sometimes dishonest people put the New Old Stock part on their vehicle and put a repro part in the NOS box and resell it as NOS. It may change hands several times, and a supplier down the road might not even realize the part has been switched.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
Spartan

Think about how many trucks were built. Now think about each part that can be replaced. GM estimated how many parts to make based on how long they would support these trucks and how many were produced. So in essence NOS parts are common...but common is relative... and look out, not all NOS parts are NOS. Some parts sold as NOS were GM Replacement parts re-popped in the 1980's by GM. Some consider these to be NOS parts just depends on who's doing the selling I guess.

refurbishing an old part at more cost or less cost might be an option.

As stated this site is the best place to look for what you need. Become a member, pay for subscription and post a wtb add. OR wait until what you are looking for surfaces.

Just remember the hype over NOS might be a little inflated and leads to crooks trying to make a sucker out of you so do your homework/research.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

I thought it stood for <<North Of Shanghai>>!
[JK]

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
68bowtie

just to be clear, the question was not how to find parts (or how to exersize patience), but why there appears to be such a large volume of nos parts available. the eyebrow trim was just an example that it seems easier to find a NOS part than a used original. that just seems odd to me.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
just to be clear, the question was not how to find parts (or how to exersize patience), but why there appears to be such a large volume of nos parts available. the eyebrow trim was just an example that it seems easier to find a NOS part than a used original. that just seems odd to me.
The '68 Eyebrow Trim tends to be expendable, once installed on the vehicle. It can get pretty beat up. ['67s didn't really have it, except after-the-fact].

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #11
leftybass209

To be straight to the point: there's a lot of NOS parts because there was a lot of 67-72 trucks made.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:22 AM   #12
tommys72

Pretty straightforward answer there

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #13
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
To be straight to the point: there's a lot of NOS parts because there was a lot of 67-72 trucks made.
that makes a lot of sense, like what spartan said. but to me that conflicts with the extreme prices. am i crazy?

Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 AM   #14
70LonghornCST

One thing to consider is that GM made replacement parts well into recent years. Many parts such as taillight bezels, lenses, door handles, certain styles of trim, and many others were made in large quantities and are still pretty common, but demand a higher price from buyers who understand that even though the stock is seemingly abundant, it is finite. Many speculators noticed past trends of other NOS parts, and how they went up in price drastically after being discontinued, and purchased--as said by leddzepp--as an investment. What you are seeing is large caches of stockpiled NOS parts being difussed thoughout the market.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 AM   #15
leftybass209

Quote:
that makes a lot of sense, like what spartan said. but to me that conflicts with the extreme prices. am i crazy?
The answer to that is simple- because they can, and people will pay it. Attach buzz words like NOS, barn find, or rust - free and it's open season on your wallet regardless of how many were made. The number produced and being NOS doesn't matter. It has to do with the quality of the GM made or licensed parts versus the aftermarket.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:01 AM   #16
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST View Post
One thing to consider is that GM made replacement parts well into recent years. Many parts such as taillight bezels, lenses, door handles, certain styles of trim, and many others were made in large quantities and are still pretty common, but demand a higher price from buyers who understand that even though the stock is seemingly abundant, it is finite. Many speculators noticed past trends of other NOS parts, and how they went up in price drastically after being discontinued, and purchased--as said by leddzepp--as an investment. What you are seeing is large caches of stockpiled NOS parts being difussed thoughout the market.
that's a good explanation

Old 04-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

There are way more trucks out here than brand new original parts for these trucks. If there are hundreds of sets of '68 fender brows out there, that is a very low number, rare and precious. Trim items are the most precious. One little dimple renders even a N.O.S. piece useless to most. Full sets are hard to come by and mix-matched with repro isn't very desired. Putting a set together is very difficult and if this is your mission you must be glad to find it when you can and willing to pay whatever the price. A full set of repro isn't exactly cheap.

I have a N.O.S. 2wd power steering box. It is a vital mechanical component to safety, handling, and overall driveability. So what? Big deal. It listed for about $350 when I bought it. 30% discount got it to about $245. Do you think anyone would be willing to pay even the original over the counter price for that? Funny how that works.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-05-2015 at 07:48 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
factorystock

The main reason NOS is the ultimate find is because the most of the aftermarket parts are NOT "officially GM licenced". You do not know the quality of most repopped parts, a crap shoot. However, there are NOS parts and there are very hard to find NOS parts, and that makes the big difference in pricing. Some parts are "obsoleted" early by GM (hard to find), while other parts have a longer production run (easier to find). When determining a value for a part, ask yourself how long will have to wait to find another one?". I am sure we all know some NOS parts that rarely ever make an appearance. This is where you will really see the wallets open up.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #19
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
"but can't find a single piece of used originals."

Sorry if I was confused. Your original post made it sound like you may be looking for used parts but they were harder to find than the abundance of NOS parts.

With everything that has been said, the other thing you have to consider when paying top dollar for NOS is shelf wear. I little basement moisture in a NOS box or package does a lot of damage.

Happy Easter,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

The rarest of the NOS or Used parts are for the Early 1967... then the late 67-68... that is a challenge on these trucks...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote