The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
devind

Re: How about some pics of 88-98 Part II

At the first of the year my son Trent bought a used 1997 ex-cab GMC pickup.

I wanted to post some pics and info on the build to not just show it off but to hopefully help if anyone else might be doing a similar build. I am not a huge fan of 20” wheels on this body style. I guess I am hold school but I just like a little more side wall on the tire then the 20” wheels allow. In the end we went with 18” wheels and I think it turned out looking good. However I will warn you with 18” wheels you will have a very limited tire choice on both brands and tire size options.

With a lot of work Trent, his brother, and I have turned it into something pretty slick. I hope my son is happy with the results. He really didn't want to lower it but a persuaded him into it. I told him I had a vision for this truck and if he would just trust me in the end he would be proud of it.

The first thing we did was replace all the intake, valve cover gaskets and did a complete tune up, replaced the belt and idler pulleys and installed a new radiator while his mom hand sewed a new leather wrap around the steering wheel. Then we completely rebuilt the front-end. After that we dropped the front 4" by Installing drop coil springs and drop spindles. In the back we dropped it 6" by c-notching the frame and doing an axle flip. We also installed some air assist air bags so he can adjust the rear ride height or compensate for a load. Also took it to our local muffler shop and had some dual exhaust with glass packs ran on it. Sound nice and throaty but not too loud.

After all that we cleaned up the exterior by pulling all off the moldings and pin-stripping off, installed new headlights and a billet aluminum grill.

To make room for the new tires and wheels we rolled the rear fender flange over and cut the front fender flanges off flush with inner sheet metal and spot welded them back together.

Then finally after waiting almost two weeks the wheels arrived so we went straight to discount tire and had some new rubber mounted up on them and man they look great. Once on the truck Trent finally understood the vision I had for it and had a smile ear to ear.

All and all pretty happy with the results, the truck drives and handles real nicely.

Later on I will be sending the PCM to buddy Dave at Old School EFI to it reflashed. I want to make some adjustments to the shift points and make some corrections to accommodate the 1 ½” taller rear tires.

Basic set up:
Front end:
Lowered about 4” with 2” drop spindles and drop springs
Cut fender flange lip off flush with inner fender well, spot welded inner & outer back together and ground smooth. Pulled inner fender well bolt directly above tire out.

Rear end:
Lowered about 6’ with axle flip kit and c-notch plates.
Added some air-assist air bags so he could have some adjustability on rear ride height and adjust for carrying a load or pulling a trailer. Had to do some e-brake relocating and rerouting to clear air bags and keep from rubbing the inside of the wheel and tires.
Rolled rear fender flange with vise grips and shot filled rubber mallet. Then with a hydraulic-jack a 2x4 slightly widened the outer fender paying very close attention to the sheet metal as to not distort anything. Gained about 3/8”

Wheels and Tires:
Front:
Showheels Streeters 18” x 8” with 0 offset mounted with Falken Ziex ZE-612 (235/60R-18)
Rear:
Showheels Streeters 18” x 9” with a +6 offset mounted with Falken Ziex ZE-612 (265/60R-18)

devind is offline   Reply With Quote