The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
Jemezcrusher

Window regulator

Doing final touches on my 1950 3100 and am having issues with a window regulator. Over the last couple of years and have done some wheeling and dealing on parts. I picked up a new pair of regulators from a guy (don’t know the manufacturer) but both failed in the install process. They broke internally as soon as I put any real pressure on them rolling up.

I put my old regulators back in and the passenger seems fine, but the drivers side has an issues. It seems to droop forward and the leading edge leaves a gap at the top curve, and the window is not horizontal in the opening, but tilted a bit.

I am not sure if this is an adjustment issue or a worn out regulator. I see you can rotate the pivot a tad but this seems to have little effect.

Looking for suggestions on a good regulator supplier or advice on how to get this worked out
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Window regulator

You do have the correct regulator for the one piece windows?

Then do you have the roller (s) in the track in the door? I remember fighting that on mine when I replaced the glass in the 70's Trying to get big hands and arms in there to get it all in place was a pain.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
Jemezcrusher

Yep. Right regulators, just kinda droopy. I think it is tired
Old 07-24-2020, 04:28 AM   #4
MiraclePieCo

I once had a Model A with a door window that would drop in the front leaving a 1/4" gap no matter what I did. Finally I gave in and had the glass shop cut me a new window glass that was 1/4" taller at the front (IOW not square). It looked and worked perfect.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
Jemezcrusher

Sounds like a good solution for your problem but I have a frame the goes around the window
Old 07-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #6
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
Sounds like a good solution for your problem but I have a frame the goes around the window
In that case you would simply add to the BOTTOM of the glass. The window frame would still fit as normal, and the extra glass would be hidden down inside the door (you could never tell the window wasn't square anyway).

My comment however was offered just to illustrate my experience with this same situation and what I had to resort to when no other solutions worked. In your case the obvious solution is simply to try a different regulator.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-24-2020 at 03:07 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:27 AM   #7
mr48chev

The only thing I can think of is something worn enough so it leaves some slack.

The rollers are all in the channels where they belong in the back side of the inside door panel? That was my fight back in 1973. I had a heck of a time getting those rollers in the channels.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
In that case you would simply add to the BOTTOM of the glass. The window frame would still fit as normal, and the extra glass would be hidden down inside the door (you could never tell the window wasn't square anyway).

My comment however was offered just to illustrate my experience with this same situation and what I had to resort to when no other solutions worked. In your case the obvious solution is simply to try a different regulator.
The frame goes all the way around the glass so that would not work either
Old 07-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #9
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The only thing I can think of is something worn enough so it leaves some slack.

The rollers are all in the channels where they belong in the back side of the inside door panel? That was my fight back in 1973. I had a heck of a time getting those rollers in the channels.

Mr48chev

That was the hardest part when I tried to figure it out on the passenger side went in. I have the scratches and bruises to prove it. I got one arm stuck in the door for about five minutes. Learned the install techniques on the passenger side, and it works great. Window is square and operates as it should Driver side droops so will have to replace the regulator I guess. Will look for an original that is in better shape