The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2004, 01:56 AM   #1
kevinr1970

'90 2wd Suburban Parts onto a 2wd Blazer

Ok, after the nightmare that has been been my 2wd Blazer purchase, I think I'm going to try to convert a 4x4 Blazer to 2wd (what I should have done in the first place).
I have been given a fairly rust free '84 4x4 (red and white - red interior) with no title (as someone else posted I would like to purchase a VIN tag and title if someone local has one). After reading from others here that the conversion is time consuming but not difficult I think that is what I'm going to do.
I have found a few 2wd Suburbans locally (there seems to be quite a few for pretty cheap) and the two that seem like the best ones for this project (complete with good drivetrains) are as follows:
'90 GMC with replaced engine and no other info on history (for sale at wrecking yard) - body in good shape, real nice interior with all power options, AC works good and 20" wheels with 245 45 20 tires in real nice shape. I would probably sell the rims and tires as I don't want my truck gettin ripped off for the wheels!!! Truck hasn't been lowered. Blue with blue interior (real nice). $2000-2500.
'90 Chev with rebuilt engine and tranny - truck was hit in the front but has all new parts (not sure if this includes grill) "ready for paint". Almost new 15" alloys and tires, lowered (airbags), power options. Two tone blue/grey (silver?) with grey interior. Haven't actually seen this truck yet. $1500-2000. Again, I would probably sell the rims and get 15 x 8 or 10 rallye's.

I have a nice set of blue buckets and rear seat out of an '88. I would really like the blue interior but the thought of repainting the red interior isn't something I would like to do. I could get away with the red steel parts with a grey interior I think.
My big question is would the doors off of the Subs wire up to the Blazer with the the existing harness, or would I need to pull the harness from the Sub? Would this harness give me other problems with options not in the Balzer?
The dash in the '90 GMC is in pristine condition (nice gauges, clock, and wood trim on dash and doors) but appears to be a different "font" for lack of better description - would all of the dash parts work on the '84?
The door panels are real nice, but have 4 switches on the driver door - will the trim, fabric insert and carpeted lower piece attach to a door panel from an '82 I just happen to have lying around (it is blue BTW), or should I just mount the door panel and have two "dummy" switches?.
Any other advice or information would be appreciated
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)

Last edited by kevinr1970; 09-07-2004 at 01:58 AM.
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I would lean towards the 90 GMC, as I like the way the front looks. Selling the wheels would be a plus there as well. The doors will bolt up (and plug in, if you already have power windows and locks). I think the dash will work if it is out of a 90, in 91 they went to electric speedometers, IIRC. The trim should go on the 82 door panel you have. Grey will look fine with the red. Hope that got most of the big questions.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
beaterC10

The doors and the power accessories should interchange with no problem. If the Blazer does not have power doors you will need to pull the harness from the Suburban, but only the harness that connects to the doors and the fuse panel.

The dash will interchange. The 86 and later speedos have a sender for the cruise control, but they can be used in older trucks by leaving the sender uplugged. Most of the harnesses for the optional equipment can be removed without pulling the entire dash harness. Normally the main harness will have connectors that allow the option harnesses to be pluggged in.

The one exception to interchange on the dash is between A/C and non A/C trucks. The controls, heater core box, and firewall are different.

I have a title and VIN for an 86 4x4 Blazer. If you are interested drop me a PM.

Dave
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
loblazer

Smile

If you do the grey seats with the red trim. Put the grey arm rests and the grey trim section (where the handle is) on the red door. This will pull the red and grey together and should look ok?
You may want to get a grey Blazer headliner also to add a bit more grey.
Doug
loblazer is offline   Reply With Quote