The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Built not bought

Personally I always thought this was a silly thing to say. Its arrogance and a put down. Some people just don't have the skill set, but still have a love of these trucks. If they pay someone to do the work there's another of our trucks on the road. And someone made some dough for their family.

I'm more of a model builder style guy. I don't have the skill set to do major stuff, but I can put stuff together that's been done for me. Cant build an engine, but I can put one in. That kind of thing.

Ive been wrestling with a huge dilemma, I only need one truck. Today for some reason that built not bought thing went through my head. I wonder if I can actually build a truck frame up and do pretty much everything myself? I only have one truck that hasn't had any work done by someone else. Well except its in pieces ... taken apart by someone else. I wonder if its something I would appreciate more and be more likely to say ... Ok that's it, no more trucks this one is a keeper.

More fodder for my thought process =)

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 AM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: Built not bought

IMO (and we all know what thats worth) more often than not, us "build it yourselfers" still need outside help.

I really do appreciate things that Ive built with my hands, BUT.... how far do you have to go to say that you've built it yourself? Do your own body and paint? Gear set up? Transmission building? Engine building? Machine work? Upholstery?

For me, Ive always tried to do everything myself mainly because well, Ive always either been short on cash or time or both but still wanted to own a unique vehicle that I could say that I had turned nearly every nut and bolt on myself. For years I was proud of being able to say that - even of the trucks and cars that didn't run (which was most of the time).

Lately, Ive come to the realization that I probably don't have the time left (in my stay in this world) to learn the different skills well enough, the money to buy the right tools and machines and don't have the right "space" to do all of the work myself.

Sometimes it's just financially smarter to farm some or more of the work out to someone who does it for a living.

Case in point, when I built my NV4500. I thought Id cut a fat hog by doing the rebuild myself. In the end, I probably spent 3 times the cost of what a shop would have charged to build it myself. With all of the tools, mistakes (I had to take that thing apart 3 times before I got it right - meaning it had to go in and then out 3 times on the 30 degree incline driveway) that it took to get it right, I could have dropped it off at a shop and picked it up a few days later with a warranty. Warranty.. Got one of those too which means that I get to do it all over again if it ever messes up.

Pretty sure if I ever brought up any of the Wife's new shoes in the closet, that damned transmission build would get thrown back at me with the quickness!

To your point of "Thats it, no more trucks, this one's a keeper"... Im so far into my truck that its probably considered fiscal irresponsibility by most and borders on insanity by others. Kind of ironic that I do the work myself to "save money" right? At this point Im keeping the truck just to save face because there is no way in hell Im gonna be able to turn a profit off of this "investment".

In the end I think a blend of your ideas mixed with some of the work being farmed out and some of the work done "in (your) house" makes it a project that is "built not bought". Im sure you'll appreciate it, especially if you can drive it.

Do your truck your way and the way that's feasible for you to get it finished. Just post a bunch of pictures as you go. You know we'll give ya a hard time about taking it to Phantom Works if our picture addiction isn't fed!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

If you have a spacious garage and ability to buy the right equipment, you can do it yourself.

I am limited on space and equipment, due to limited space I elected to use electricity to derust my brackets. That worked but it didn't rough up the surface, a blasting cabinet is what I needed. I had no space for it.

Fender repair and painting I had to farm out. I painted what I could, grill and brackets. Fuel lines I made along with new battery cables.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
Killer Bee

I think you're confusing arrogance with pride.. a lot of skilled tradesmen and craftsmen like myself are proud of what we build.. it's a founding principle this county was built on and many of us still embrace it.. anyone with a wallet can buy something, but only a skilled person can build it.. reality that is neither arrogant or insulting..

to draw an analogy to your career vs your hobby of working on trucks.. I'm a heavy equipment and hydraulics tech by trade.. I also plumbed my house roped most of the electrical, hung all of the doors, etc.

this closet had been modified for an air handler by previous owner and we demo'd it for an attic install.. lower portion dry walled across with a false floor for the air return and some ugly lumber doors.. I demo'd all of it and jambed, cased, trimmed, and hung the doors.. actually took three sets of doors to finally get 4 properly proportioned panels.. for work completely outside of my trade, I am quite proud to say I built it.. it's not only square, plumb, level, and true, it's damn good looking..

is it arrogant to say I built this not bought it? of course not, same applies to those that can build their own trucks..

Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I don't see the "Built not bought" thing as saying "I built it" vs "Had it built". It's about the vehicle not the owner (in most cases). I see it as choosing to go with taking an older vehicle outfitted to suit your uses vs buying the closest thing the factory offers and I think of "new" when I hear it. Picture the movie 2-lane Hiway. That was about built vs bought. I've always related myself to the '55 Chevy type who are the "built" guys. Then there were guys who went out and "bought" a muscle car. I just see it as buying factory performance vs modifying old stuff

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-07-2017 at 08:40 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

To each their own ,Whatever works for you to get what your looking for in the end is really nobodies business . I think it's all a generational thing ,some of us old guys grew up turning wrenches for a living so it's a natural progression to always build it for yourself from the ground up with very little send out work, Because less expensive $ wise ,You already have all the equipment and you have to remember Time wise your looking at a huge investment .We never had the option of the internet, credit cards and UPS. Once you start adding in all the associated costs for tools and equipment not to mention dry space it doesn't work out just to build one truck .It's cheaper to go find one already done and just add your personal preferences to it to make it yours . I guess what it boils down to is even with all the tools,equipment,and space can you devote yourself to a project that will take years to reach the end or do you just pay for the thrill of instant gratification and drive it next week ? If I charged myself for the amount of time I've spent just accumulating all the parts and pieces I'd have a few $50,000.00 trucks sitting in the garage waiting to be built
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
Tiger Joe

I'm in the built crowd (last project my dad and I did everything except machine the block and heads) and what annoys me is the guys who basically supervise a project- ship it out and pay shops to work on it- and then claim they built it. or the guys who buy a car/truck, bolt on air ride suspension then brag about their build

more often than not, the people that actually build them don't use that phrase, its the wannabes
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
A1971Blazer

I agree with Grumpy....I'm a machinist by trade and eventually worked my way into owning my own machine shop....I have modern (CNC) machines but I grew up with the old-school manual machines....been into it since 1974 when I graduated high school...BUT I have also learned other stuff along the way.....welding, woodworking, carpentry, electrical wiring, plumbing, and I have always been an avid automobile enthusiast....

I learned (a lot by mistakes) to re-build engines, transmissions, and set-up differentials......because of my business I have been able to acquire a lot of tools....

so I have pretty much everything I need for just about any job that comes along

The one thing I don't do is auto body work....just never got interested in it.....so that part of any build, I have to leave to the experts....the bad thing is...it's one of the most expensive parts of the build....

Anyway...I have two reasons for doing as much as I can myself...
1. the biggest reason...I don't trust some one else will do it right
2. a lot of people will rob you for the cost of doing it.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

You can also pick what you like.

I did a full build on the C10 and it kinda sucked.

On my "next" toy I wanted to tinker with mechanical stuff and make it cooler. So I bought a 1965 Mustang that someone did a great job on the body/paint, but left most of the original (worn out) parts under the hood and suspension. So while it was still a driver, I rebuilt the front/rear suspension, rolled the fenders, went to 17" wheels, swapped from a C4 to a T5 manual (and rebuilt the trans myself), added A/C, went from a 17" to 24" radiator with Ford contour efans, went from a 2 barrel to a performer intake with a 4 barrel, new timing chain set on the motor, resealed all the motor leaks, completely gutted and redid the interior with TMI seats (that I reupholstered), sound deadener, modern stereo, etc.

That car has been on 3 hot rod power tours, including 2 long hauls for a total of over 8,000 miles, as far north as MI and WI, as far south as FL, and as far west as OK and TX from SC.

So when I get asked "did you build it" I usually say I rebuilt most everything except the paint.

I think that's why the "patina" thing is so hot. Guys like to rebuild suspensions and motors and make the interior nice... but don't want to do bodywork.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
notsolo

I also do my own work, have built, rebuilt several trucks. I always considered the Knucklehead Garage guys on cable to be the " bought" version. A lot of talent, little common sense. Some cool idea's at price.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
68panelman

People ask me all the time if I "restored" my trucks myself, and I tell them they aren't restored just nice drivers. I guess there is a certain pride in taking a turd to trophy truck all by yourself, which I can appreciate, but we all know most people nowadays are full of BS anyway. I did the whole start with a frame, find parts, ect thing, it just takes too long and usually never gets finished, 17yrs for my first restore and sold it at 95% finished (when my family was younger). I like to purchase clean, turn key trucks in original paint or one repaint so if I did decide to restore, I'm not dealing with a pile of crap. I guess I like to preserve them rather than restore.
Don't need to Pat myself on the back, look what I did, and more importantly don't give a shyt what people think
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
hewittca

I see "built not bought" as a juvenile pride thing. I saw it a lot in high school. Kids trying to fight for superiority, and for those into hot rodding, built not bought was a distinguishing badge of honor for those who couldn't just go out and buy the newest camaro/mustang/etc. with mommy/daddy's money. I don't see this sort of nonsense now that I'm a bit older, at least in the crowds I frequent. Whether you built it from the bottom, farmed out some jobs, pay a professional to do everything, or just buy the hottest thing on the lot, I think most of that superiority gets washed away once you start to talk to someone or just hang out at your local cruise in, etc.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
Ski-me

I have no problem with it, really.

"Built" to me, means taking an older truck and customizing/modifying it to my specific taste. That also includes upgrading and improving the truck from the factory. These include: New lift, tires, wheels, shocks, axles, SYE driveline, body work, etc. All of this is a labor of love and also driven by the cost to pay someone else to do it....just not financially in the picture otherwise.

Things I have not tried but also are included: engine swap, Tranny swap, Differential gear swap, locker addition. All of these items I leave to those that are more skilled than I. These all fall under the "Built" category.

"Bought" category, to me, means someone walking onto the Chevy showroom floor where the dealer has installed an aftermarket 6" lift, wheels, tires, and put a $70k price tag on it. Looks nice but not really customized specifically to the customer's taste. They seem to be a dime a dozen...but cost a ton!!

My opinion....

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
rgunlock

To the OP's question, yes you can build a truck from the frame up farming very little of it out for others to do the work. Don't have the skill sets? Consider it a challenge to learn them. A lot of it comes down to what your expectations are for the end product. No skills but you want a concourse show truck, not likely. No skills but you have the time, patience and willingness to make mistakes and put up with do-overs in order to get a much nicer driver quality truck than you'd be willing to plop cash down all at once for - go for it.

Mine took over 6 years. I worked most weekends on it because I preferred the shop time to playing golf or watching tv. The cost was spread out enough that it never really hurt the budget much. I did about 99% of the work myself including body and paint, although I did drop in a crate motor rather than build one. Most things I did on the truck were first time for me. I think I ended up with a very nice 15 footer, but I don't expect it will ever be in a show. I don't think I'd ever sell it due to the time and effort put into it - its very special to me because of that. If it lacks something I want in a truck, I've got enough invested already that I don't feel bad spending for that upgrade or toy.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
el_fantasma

I have a good friend who owns his own shop so he does everything for me. His shop is a mile away so I just drop it off and ride my bike home. It’s great for me because my truck is available to drive 50 weeks a year.

I appreciate this site because no one has every belittled me for my newbie questions. Everyone has a passion for these old trucks and helping each other out. For those that do your own work, take pride in what you’ve done, you deserve it.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #16
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Personally I always thought this was a silly thing to say. Its arrogance and a put down. Some people just don't have the skill set, but still have a love of these trucks. If they pay someone to do the work there's another of our trucks on the road. And someone made some dough for their family.
More fodder for my thought process =)
I've seen and heard this argument before and I have encountered both "Views" in person.
I am of the opinion that as long as these Trucks are Saved, Restored or RODstored and driven is all that matters to me.
Oh yeah, sure, I've been asked "Did you build it yourself?" and I answer: Not all of it. I did the Bed (Wood), changed the interior from a Nasty Saddle Brown to Black and All American Street Rods in Manassas did all the Mechanical, Suspension and Exhaust work.

Do WHAT you can do and get a professional to do what you CAN'T do.

Whether you 'Built it" or "Bought it" or something "in between", LET'S JUST ENJOY AND SUPPORT OUR FELLOW 67-72'S BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
Coley

Smile Re: Built not bought

I've heard it....and seen it and it is more a source of amusement for me.
It you look closely at the statement 'built not bought'...its just a local marketing statement....with a bit of bragging sprinkled onto it (lol)
Reminds me of the t-shirts with the 'born to raise hell' stuff or similar stuff written on them....and then the guy wearing it is waiting his turn quietly in the starbucks line-up....lol.

A lot of people that would claim it in one area....can't claim it in other areas...so it doesn't really hold a lot of value to me in terms of meaning.
Maybe they are good mechanics...but they can't cook or can't read or can't do their own taxes or can't troubleshoot their own computer problems, etc.....you see what I am getting at.

For myself, I'm generally a pretty handy, technically skilled guy.....but I don't weld and I've never taken on any appreciable body work on a vehicle.....and I lose zero sleep over that...and it is something that I have to 'sub' out to someone in order for it to work out for me, given the amount of time and effort that I can invest.
My Dad was a carpenter and a general contractor so most of my hardskills are probably rooted there more before the vehicles.
I learned about vehicles and mechanics mostly as my cars and trucks were breaking down.....lol.....which is a good way to learn although most, including myself didn't know it at the time.

We all have skills in different areas so its best to simply appreciate them rather than trying to place them on some sort of a higher social or moral level than the next guys abilities.
Its the difference between pride vs. ego......pride doesn't need an audience.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 12-07-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #18
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

For me in my eyes, it is all about the build process. It's about learning new things weather it is you teaching someone or you teaching someone else. It's about keeping this hobby alive. Everyone can't do everything all the time and a lot of times it makes more sense to send out certain things. Not everyone can set up a suitable paint booth, not everyone has access to a welder or even 220. Again, it's about the build. Take something that is trashed and make it something that never was produced etc.

I did a 2000 F350 for a kid recently. It was a 14 month pain in the life project from Satan's den. I had who knows how many hours in the truck, let alone dealing with the owner. I built him a 550+hp 7.3, restored the under side of the truck, added an aftermarket fuel system, added stacks over the top of his dual tail pipes with electric cut outs, and more. He had the truck for 3 days and he brought it by. I saw the "Built not bought" stickers on the front windows. Instantly ticked me off. It was built alright, but not by him.

If you have the drive to learn and a want to have something you can step back and say I built this for me that's what will matter in the end.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #19
Oydllay

I can't help but think it may have been my post that set this conversation off. I used that line in my last post. In no way was it a put down to anyone! I just enjoy the satisfaction of saying "I made that". Plus I advance my skill set with every new thing I try. Believe me, I wasn't born with the skills I have today. I gained them over the course of my life mostly due to necessity. I am not made of money but I love my hobby. No matter how you choose to complete your project, It is still your creation and I respect the time and thought put into it. I will be the first to admit that I used a lot of off the shelf parts in my 442. In the end, we build these cars and trucks because we love them. I hate people that go to car shows and disrespect someone elses work out loud for whatever reason. Yeah, there are many different levels of work but who cares?! At least someone is keeping these cars alive.
Oydllay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #20
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

All of my project vehicles were usually running and driving when I bought them. They all needed something done, either to fix broken things or to add custom touches. Either way my trucks were usually always on the road enjoying them. Most things needed could be completed over a weekend then back on the road again. I get the same pride from the things I was able to do as much as someone who built something from the ground up.

I always compliment people on their cars and never ask who did it.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #21
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oydllay View Post
I can't help but think it may have been my post that set this conversation off.
Nope, didn't even see your post. Its something I see often on the HAMB and I see it here only sometimes. And welcome to the board =)

Its seldom said with a satisfactory vibe, its mostly said with a smugness look at me vibe. Lots of guys here have amazing builds that they have done nearly the whole thing and I don't get the, Im better than you feeling from them.

My real point was that Im a project collector and seldom get anything finished. I have literally had 100s of various cars and trucks since my mid teens (a long time ago lol) They always go away to the next shiny object with big dreams. I was just thinking maybe if I took one ride, forced my self to put blinders on (haha) and do one to the end I would be satisfied and keep it. Maybe?

On the way home from work today I saw a very cool ride (not going to talk about what it actually was heh) and I was thinking that is something I can do with a vehicle I already own. And about a mile further down the road I saw another one done the same way. It was a rare around these parts vehicle (not a Chevy truck) maybe its was a sign?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #22
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Nope, didn't even see your post. Its something I see often on the HAMB and I see it here only sometimes. And welcome to the board =)

Its seldom said with a satisfactory vibe, its mostly said with a smugness look at me vibe. Lots of guys here have amazing builds that they have done nearly the whole thing and I don't get the, Im better than you feeling from them.

My real point was that Im a project collector and seldom get anything finished. I have literally had 100s of various cars and trucks since my mid teens (a long time ago lol) They always go away to the next shiny object with big dreams. I was just thinking maybe if I took one ride, forced my self to put blinders on (haha) and do one to the end I would be satisfied and keep it. Maybe?

On the way home from work today I saw a very cool ride (not going to talk about what it actually was heh) and I was thinking that is something I can do with a vehicle I already own. And about a mile further down the road I saw another one done the same way. It was a rare around these parts vehicle (not a Chevy truck) maybe its was a sign?
I suffer from the same thing. Some call it a sickness, or addiction? My mind changes all the time and I think I need this and that and I need to build this with that. The more parts I collect, the worse it gets. I tell my wife it's still better than a bad drug addiction.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #23
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
anyone with a wallet can buy something, but only a skilled person can build it..
Sir, you obviously haven't seen my wallet or anything I've built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
"Bought" category, to me, means someone walking onto the Chevy showroom floor where the dealer has installed an aftermarket 6" lift, wheels, tires, and put a $70k price tag on it. Looks nice but not really customized specifically to the customer's taste. They seem to be a dime a dozen...but cost a ton!!

My opinion....
Not quite the same, but my semi daily driver is a dealer equipped Tahoe. It has never occurred to me people judge me over this, I just thought it was a slick looking truck that made good Powah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
I always compliment people on their cars and never ask who did it.
i have asked about certain things, upholstery for example. Not to be condescending but to find out who I could take projects too.

I've owned a hand full of classic cars, trucks and muscle cars over the years. I've done one frame off, I've bought some complete and made them my own, I've saved some junk from rotting away and I've trashed some to the point of no return, I've drove the wheels off others without spending a dime after purchasing.

What label fits me?

Last edited by Mack B; 12-07-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #24
AJBert

To be very honest, if I had the money I would have no problem paying someone else to build me a truck to my specifications. I don't have the money therefor I do what I can and scrimp and save to have someone to do what I can't.

I started out like a few others on here that learned to turn wrenches buy keeping whatever I happened to have at the moment just to keep it on the road. Next month, at the young age of 53, I'll be going to a community college to learn welding and fabrication. My good Uncle Sam will be footing the bill for school and I'll learn everything I can while I'm there. This learning will be for myself at home and not to get a job. I figure it will save me money doing it myself, though I've already warned the wife I'll be spending more money on tools. Of course, she thinks I've got too many as it is.

Yes, I'd rather do things myself so I know it'll be done right but I wonder how nice it would be to drop of a vehicle at a shop and tell them, "Frame off resto with this, that and everything else on this list."
AJBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #25
abig84

i always felt that way but now that im building a truck that from the looks of it is going to take 3-4 years to complete and way more money then if i had just bought one im starting to second guess it. its cool to say i built it but id rather just be done with it and driving it by now
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote