The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
NBBAZ

Looking at a 1970 Suburban

I'm thinking about getting a 1970 Suburban 4x4, 3 door, 350 motor, 350 trans, barn doors in the rear. I've never owned one of these. What are some things to look for when checking it out? Areas that they have rust issues, mechanical trouble spots, etc...

Any help would be much appreciated.
NBBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Average Joe

Re: Looking at a 1970 Suburban

Look for rust above windshield, under the cowl, rocker panels, rear taillight area, lip above rear wheels, and under the second seat by the "stepup". Also look at front floors and around the kick panel vents. Rust may also be present around the blower motor on the firewall. I'm sure I have missed some areas but these are the ones that come to mind. Some of these problems are easier to fix than others and just about everyone of these problems has been addresed or fixed by someone on the board here. I'm sure others on here will chime in soon enough. Good luck!
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the forum!

Awesome that you are contemplating a 4x4 Suburban!

Suburban's share a lot from the pick up body, mainly from the grill to the back of the front doors. Though the front door window frame is square, where as the pick up door frame is rounded.

Troublesome places of rust are the same for the pick ups and suburbans, except that the suburban has the rear doors that tend to rust if not looked after.
Rear barn door or lift gate and hatch type doors are tough to find in some parts of the country, that,s not to say they are not impossible to find but who needs the hassle right? So finding a burb with no rust in the 3rd door or the rear doors is probably what I would first be looking at.

The rear floor is wood, and is pretty sturdy from the factory. But I have seen some of the floors pretty beat up or butchered over the years, so this is another area where the hassle factor is high if you have to replace it.

Finding one with 3 rows of seats is nice, and having the original benches still intact is a bonus. Depending or not if you plan to go the route of original bench seats.

Those are the big areas I look at.

The rest is just making sure things are there, the more complete the Suburban the easier the rebuild and quicker to hit the road.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
zac

All the burb-specific body areas others mentioned. That is really all that matters. The mechanical stuff can be dealt with. And unless you are looking at a specific truck right now, DO NOT pass up a truck with a great body just because it has a tailgate instead of barn doors or a 4 spd instead of a TH350. You will be sorry--take it from a guy who has done it.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
1leglance

welcome to the forum...
I am in Phoenix and have a 70 4x4 Burb and love it...great rig and does well in our desert southwest travels.

If you decide not to get it can you post up the contact info or pm it as I know a few people who would love to get their hands on a rig...heck I might go for another

enjoy
Lance
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
NBBAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
welcome to the forum...
I am in Phoenix and have a 70 4x4 Burb and love it...great rig and does well in our desert southwest travels.

If you decide not to get it can you post up the contact info or pm it as I know a few people who would love to get their hands on a rig...heck I might go for another

enjoy
Lance
No Bueno. It got sold before I could make it there to check it out. Unfortunately, the guy lived about 2 1/2 hours away from me. Oh well, I'll keep looking.
NBBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
ttowndave

better luck next time

Welcome to the forum!!
ttowndave is offline   Reply With Quote