The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
makman1297

Power windows

So i discovered the hard way the difference between 70's and 80's window motors. I have a 77 that had a weak/bad passanger window motor. I went to the junk yard and pulled a reg/motor off of a 84 (there were no 70's in the whole junk yard). I then found that the connectors were different and ordered a new one. After installation i found the junk yard one did not work. I bought a new motor for the 80's style regulator (the regulators bolt in just fine, but the motors do not interchange between the two). After installing the new motor it still did not work. I found then that the old style uses two seperate power wires, one for up and one for down, ground is through the motor case. The new style uses two wire one power and the other ground and reverses the polatiry to go the other way. The old style switchs are not capable of doing this, so i found a way with two relays to make it work, incase anyone here ever runs into this problem.
makman1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
makman1297

Re: Power windows

All you need to to get two 4 prong relays, i bought mine at advance auto off the shelf for $8 each, some wire 14g, and some terminals to go on the relays. First i located the wiring connection where they all come together behind the glovebox, its a 4 prong connector and i removed the window wires, the brown and the blue.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
makman1297

The brown and blue with the white stripes are from the switched, one dr and one pass. The solid blue and brown go to the motor. You need to seperate them. I left the black and red wire in the connector this is the power to your switches and the black is your ground. Next i located a place to mount the relays, i chose the bracket for the vent down in the kick panel.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
makman1297

Describing this may be a little confusing, so if i need to make a diagram i will. One terminal on the each relay will goto chassis ground to activate the relay. One will be a heavy 14g ground comming in that when the relay is activated will go throught the relay, one will be the heavy ground comming out and going to its respective brown/blue motor wire. The last terminal will be the power from the switch, the white stripe wire. Now is the complicated part, sort of. Each white stripe wire needs to be connected to each other, a jumper is necessary after cutting the terminals there two short. With this jumper you need to add two pigtails comming off of them, one smaller guage goes to te relay control, the other heavier 14g goes to the solid blue/brown along with the heavy ground comming off of your relay, of the same color. So blue/white to relay that the ground comes off of two the solid blue along with the jumper from the blue/white. This will give you your + and - on the motor. Now you do the same thing to the other side and now it will be - and + and drive your motor the other way. Clear as mud?
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
makman1297

After all the splicing was done, i zip tied up the loose wire and reinstalled everything. The heavy ground wire i used i tapped off the black wire from the 4 wire connector. I checked the operation on my multimeter first, and the poliarity swapped with both switches. I put the connector back on the widow and now it works better than ever. In the long run it would of been easier to buy an old style motor, but they are about 3 times more expensive and harder to get.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
makman1297

Here is a diagram that may be useful to someone.
Attached Images