The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #1
vintovka

Talking Tablet as a head unit?

Im thinking it may be possible to use a tablet as a complete headunit and more

The desirable functions would include everything a better gps has plus music via blue tooth speakers . I left a 7 x 6 square in my dash to accommodate it. Aware of all the legal issues but would treat it as a gps.

Heres a partial list of desirable functions

GPS (with its own gps chip)
speedometer
phone interface
music playback
am fm satellite
you name it.

heck even some of the radar and new collision avoidance stuff would be nice. The tablet could be upgraded as new features become available. Any ideas?
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
James the III

Re: Tablet as a head unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Im thinking it may be possible to use a tablet as a complete headunit and more

The desirable functions would include everything a better gps has plus music via blue tooth speakers . I left a 7 x 6 square in my dash to accommodate it. Aware of all the legal issues but would treat it as a gps.

Heres a partial list of desirable functions

GPS (with its own gps chip)
speedometer
phone interface
music playback
am fm satellite
you name it.

heck even some of the radar and new collision avoidance stuff would be nice. The tablet could be upgraded as new features become available. Any ideas?
It's a nice idea.. but no one makes a tablet with am/fm radio..
nor do they offer an output at line level, and the internal sound circuit would sound like garbage outside the tiny speakers in the unit or ear buds..
most blue tooth speakers that are mde for use with a phone/taplet have a built in eg to make up for the crap compression..

It be nice if say Samsung/etc. made a tablet with a fm/am tuner.. and switchable speaker level and line level sound out through the ubs..

An in-dash touch screen head units are not that much anymore..
And anything the tablet does it does.. only thing I wish they has as an output for a solid state drive for music storage..
And wifi so you can use your phone as a hot spot and stream your music from your cloud..

I'd really like a touch screen with an outboard ecu unit.. this way you can always update/upgrade as the unit in use becomes outdated..

And why I'm looking at using a small desk top as a server with solid state drives and a sound board/card.. hooked to a in dash screen..
I just have to research how to load android on it.. to run the screen/ect..

Last edited by James the III; 02-24-2017 at 01:27 PM.
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
vintovka

Thanks. I have been searching the net for this evolving tech. I understand tablets with gps chips can operate direct off satellites for all gps functions. Cell phone GPS won't work for me due to area. Some ads imply am fm capability but unsure, Some of the 7" GPS/tablets are only $35 shipped but many have bad reviews. I have heard some good sounding Bluetooth speakers and wonder if they will work in the cab. Things are changing even as these words are being typed.

I must add I was really impressed by the dash in a Tesla (just before becoming near hysterical by the driver flooring it for 15 seconds)
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

There are options. Here is what I did in my K5.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=515192

You could also do a hidden head unit with bluetooth capabilty in glove box, and mount the tablet to where you can use it to toggle through music or your GPS. I rarely use FM anymore, mostly stream pandora or MLB network if listening to a game etc. SO much is offered via stream now. Good luck!
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

You can absolutely do this, its just that certain concessions have to be made. This is basically the reason that Android Auto and AppleCarplay units exist. They are head units that mirror certain smartphone functions and allow for GPS, Streaming media, and mobile connectivity. I have an NEX4200 in my Yukon.

What you want to do, is effectively gain that functionality, without the use of another head unit (instead using the tab AS the unit)...but that means you need to find additional hardware to aid in the setup.

Running audio output through the Usb-micro that most phones have as a charging and data port, allows for normalized audio output levels. People run into issues with this if their ROM has a built-in audio booster/eq device. This is actually a good reason to flash a custom ROM onto the tablet being used. You can remove junk and run a "car friendly" ROM with larger touch inputs and things like EQ function easily accessible.

Using a USB-micro to AV cable, you can get full audio output to RCA audio, allowing you to go IN to an AMP. Again, because it isn't a "true" line level and may be subject to apps messing with the audio, its best to install a modified ROM which will remove those prepacked functions. This also means that there isn't a safety net on the audio output level, which you'll have to be cautious of if you plan on using a variety of audio sources or plan on playing media from memory instead of a streaming service.

The other bonus to running that way is the benefit of the connection itself. The RCA's can be run through a line-level volume knob which you can dash or console mount. You REALLY DON'T want to rely on a touch-driven audio slider, as an error can cause your audio to become erratic (or as mentioned above, a huge change in output volume could damn near deafen ya). The other part being that you'll also gain an RCA video output, making it easy to add an additional video output if you want.

Some of these converters will allow simultaneous charging and output, so you can leave it plugged in and not worry about additional charging cables.

If you have a compatible data service, you can run the device tethered and get streaming music and movies, gps and calling, all on the go.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
lsversaw

No new responses to this thread, so I'll add mine.

Instead of a tablet, use your phone, because it's already got an internet connection that's available anytime you've got a phone signal. (Yeah, this setup could use a lot of data, so look at your phone plan and try to get a large or unlimited data allowance.) Your phone also probably already has everything you want except satelite radio, and you might be able to find an app for that. For regular FM radio, there are websites that give you access to almost any broadcast radio station in the country. Get a mount that puts your phone in a secure, easily accessible position. DON'T GET DISTRACTED WHILE DRIVING.

And...your phone is already set up to manage simultaneous music playback, navigation, and incoming phone calls. It knows what you need to hear at any given moment and will mute the other sources.

Side note: All of our phones have an FM tuner built in, but the service providers disable it to force us to use the internet connection. Which uses the "data" part of your phone plan. Which gives them more revenue. Rascals.

Get a "car control app" that simplifies the screen interface in a way that makes it safer to use in a car. If you want examples, let me know and I'll post some examples here.
BTW, Google has, or will soon release, a version of Android Auto intended for applications where the vehicle doesn't have an Android Interface installed. Perfect for us who have an old vehicle and a relatively new phone or tablet.

Then install a stand-alone external amplifier. You can get a good, name brand, highly-rated 2 channel amp for under $100.

Connect your (securely mounted!) phone to the amp with a cable that connects the headphone output (it's line level, or close enough) on your phone with the RCA inputs (not the speaker-level inputs) of the amplifier.

Connect whatever speakers you can afford to the amp. There are a lot of threads here about speaker selection and placement.

Play and enjoy. It's simple, relatively inexpensive, and provides great sound.

With some modification, you can also use your original radio for volume control and turning the amp off and on. I recommend this because it's safer than using a phone or tablet screen for volume control. If you want to know how to do this, let me know.

Yes, you could substitute a tablet for the phone, but you'll have to buy a tablet with a phone connection. You'd keep nav, and music playback, but your incoming calls would go to your phone, and would not cause music or nav to mute when appropriate.

I welcome comments from others in either support or opposition to this idea.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote