The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Plunkett

starter problem

Just the other day I ran into a problem where my truck didn't want to start. I read on a few threads on the site about people having problems with the ignition switch, nuetral safety switch, and the fuseable links. I haven't had time to do any test on the truck to check the voltage yet. The problem is that I can try and start it every so often and it won't do anything; however, I can hear a slight click sound coming from the area where the starter is. I have found that if I get out and hit the bottom of the starter with a hammer that the truck will fire right up. Does this sound like just a starter that's going bad or should I focus on looking in other areas too before replacing the starter?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: starter problem

Check your wire connections on the starter for tightness, If all are tight sounds like the starter solenoid has taken a dump....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Plunkett

I'm going to check the wires to see if t hey are loose. I'm hoping it's that rather then the solenoid going bad.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
justinburnett

Sounds like your starter's given up. if it's worked for you for a long time I'd get it rebuilt rather than replace it. That's just because I went through 3 starters that didn't fit right, one that flat didn't work, and one that some how twisted itself and split in half (I have no idea how), before I found one that worked AND fit the last time I changed mine. I'll never buy a "new" starter again unless I decide to try and go for one of those high torque mini-starters.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You can buy all the parts to rebuild your own starter for under 20 dollars at a parts store and you'll know it's done right with good quality parts.

You'll need two bushings, a brush set, and brush springs.

You can disassemble your old solenoid and flip the big copper washer over to get fresh contacts rather than replacing the solenoid. The copper contact washer gets eroded over time and flipping it over gives a brand new contact surface to use.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
You can disassemble your old solenoid and flip the big copper washer over to get fresh contacts rather than replacing the solenoid.

That can be done and will work IF you have a good solid loud click from the starter when turning the key.

But, The OP said;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunkett View Post
I can hear a slight click sound coming from the area where the starter is.

This leads me to believe the solenoid windings have weakened over time and reduced magnetic pull to over ride the tension of the return spring, It's making the gear hit the flywheel but not strong enough to fully engage the flywheel and starter motor contacts.

I have a Cummins starter on my bench right now with this problem, The motor engagement contacts are good but the windings are too weak to fully engage the gear without pulling on it.

Also have a Cummins fuel cut-off solenoid with the same issue, Turn the key on and nothing happens. If you push it half of the movement it will engage and stay.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote