The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2020, 02:39 AM   #1
Mr_Rich

Side-swiped on the street

Sometime between last week and this week some coward hit my truck. The damage could've been worse cosmetically. The real concern is that my trans is leaking a puddle now. The truck is drivable. I'm concerned about hidden damage. The parking brake was set but I think the truck was moved from it's parking spot a bit. Hard to tell. The back alloy rim has a folded edge but still holds air. It will need to be replaced. I guess the discussion I'm thinking about is regarding the 700R4 trans. Maybe the parking pawl is damaged. Maybe I could jack up the rear end off the ground and see how much play in the driveline (?).
Attached Images

1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
LT7A

Re: Side-swiped on the street

Sounds like it's worth checking. I got hit similarly a long time ago and suffered no appreciable drivetrain effects. Is the leak possibly a coincidence? I've seen crazier ones. Regardless, hit and run sucks. I wish we had a law that if somebody hits your car and doesn't notify you, that you could take their car and sell it for parts - without notifying them.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Mr_Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Sounds like it's worth checking. I got hit similarly a long time ago and suffered no appreciable drivetrain effects. Is the leak possibly a coincidence? I've seen crazier ones. Regardless, hit and run sucks. I wish we had a law that if somebody hits your car and doesn't notify you, that you could take their car and sell it for parts - without notifying them.
The leak doesn't seem to be a coincidence. It wasn't leaving a large puddle like this the last several months. I replaced the trans gasket a year or two ago. I have a deep cast aluminum pan which sealed pretty well. The drip seems to be from the gasket at the back of the TC/ driveshaft. I have my truck off the street now and I'll try to find a better place to store it. This truck is my back-up vehicle in case one of my others needs to be red-lined for something. I do have some spare parts; like tail light lenses, so that's one thing I can take care of. Thanks for the response.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #4
mrtoni

Careful if you involve insurance. My k5 was hit and run. I found the offender broke down several hours later. Once I turned in the claim to his insurance after fighting lowball first offer, they totaled it. I mean my body shop actually sent a form to state insurance office and that was it. Totaled
Posted via Mobile Device
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Mr_Rich

Fortunately I have some friends who gave me a head-ups on that fact. An acquaintance had a totaled Nissan truck that he repaired and had to go through a salvage inspection. Nope, nope, nope! Not doing that. As it is I have some wear items that I have to correct like the lower ball joints. It's just going to take longer. That's all.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
Mr_Rich

I took a closer look underneath my truck and it appears that the driver's side rear spring pack has been bent and "explode" which probably put pressure on the driveshaft going in to the transfer case. I'd post a pic on reply if I could.