The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Setting timing on my SBC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this somewhat a two part process?

I'm getting ready to do the break in on the engine. The Cam is advanced 4* at the chain, which I understand has nothing to do with total timing, so I'm guessing I just ignore that for now? The cam is an ISKY 270/280 Hydraulic Mega Cam

I could swear someone said to set the initial timing to 16* BTDC, to aid in starting the engine for break in. Is that correct? Right now, I've got the timing mark on 0 and the rotor pointing right at #1. I'm guessing I'll likely have to move the Distributor gear a notch over, but that's not an issue. Just need to know where to put timing mark for now.

While breaking her in, I can use timing light, or as someone suggested go by ear and just get her close for now. My main goal during break in I realize is running her 15-20 min and keeping RPM's in the correct range.

I've read and printed off a PDF or two talking about timing, etc and I see that most carb engines like 34-36 BTDC. I'm not really certain my timing mark goes that far, but I did read about how to find that. If I'm also not mistaken a dial type light I can set for that and it'll just put me at the 0* mark when on!

Am I correct, that I want to also plug the distributor timing port UNTIL after break in and until after I get the engine as close as I can without using that advance? If so I'll also need to plug the full vacuum port on carb, which I'm planning on using for distributor, unless it should come off the manifold directly....again, I think someone said carb is fine, just not to use the timed port. The carb is an Eddy 1405.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Setting timing on my SBC

Once you get it started and you wind it out to 2,500 RPM's or so for the 20-30 minutes... don't adjust anything during that period. Just get the cam broke in first. Then you can set the timing and all that other malarky.

You just need it running and brought up to RPM immediately after initial light off. Setting the timing advanced a bit will aid in getting it started and running. You can set the timing mark on the balancer to around 10 or 12 degrees on the timing tab.

Also make sure there is fuel in the bowls of the carb so that way you don't have to wait for the fuel pump to prime the carb as the engine cranks...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
garyd1961

Back you balancer timing mark back 12 degrees and then point your rotor button directly at the #1 terminal. This is how I do it and it works for me.
Sounds like you have your distributor in correctly.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
MASTERBrian

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted. My timing light also has a dial so when time comes to time it, I'll set to 32ish and start playing with it. At least I think that's where I think I read it should be. I'll also plug the other vacuum on carb and HEI until I get her broken in.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
cadillac_al

I would plug the vacuum advance in and once it starts, turn the distributor until it is running smoothly and leave it alone until the cam is broken in. Timing doesn't have to be perfect at this time. Hopefully your carb is already set up. It is hard to break in an engine with a brand new carb that may need some adjusting. You want to start it and get it up to speed and running fairly smooth within 5 seconds. You'll be fine.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
MASTERBrian

The carb was a previously running carb that I picked up and rebuilt, but I agree hopefully she's good to go.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

If you roll#1 tdc, comp stroke, then advance 12-14 on the scale...drop the dizzy, & route your wires. On an HEI, turn the dist CC, untill the star lines up. it should lite right off.At this point, I would not worry about the vac advance, just get a little heat in to break the cam in(2200-2500 rpms), for 20-25 minutes. then, you might change the oil filter/add that 1 quart, that the filter takes....keep the revs down, not over 4000, in the first few miles (this will be a hard one)! There is no performance mill , that I ever assembled that did not see 5000-5500, around 200 miles...for a spurt Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #8
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
If you roll#1 tdc, comp stroke, then advance 12-14 on the scale...drop the dizzy, & route your wires. On an HEI, turn the dist CC, untill the star lines up. it should lite right off.At this point, I would not worry about the vac advance, just get a little heat in to break the cam in(2200-2500 rpms), for 20-25 minutes. then, you might change the oil filter/add that 1 quart, that the filter takes....keep the revs down, not over 4000, in the first few miles (this will be a hard one)! There is no performance mill , that I ever assembled that did not see 5000-5500, around 200 miles...for a spurt Longhorn
Dist, should be all set. I think timing at Mark is set to 12°, vac advance on dist is hooked to full vacuum on front of carb, should I leave that alone or unhook and plug the carb inlet?

You wouldn't drain all the oil, just the filter? It'll be a couple of weeks before she's road ready, still have suspension to iron out.

Tomorrow is planned go day. I still need to hook up aux fuel tank as mine is still removed to get rust out and seal. I'm using one of those old metal boat aux tanks. Any reason I can't prime system with the primer bulb and then run off that track with bulb attached?
Old 04-14-2017, 01:25 AM   #9
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
Dist, should be all set. I think timing at Mark is set to 12°, vac advance on dist is hooked to full vacuum on front of carb, should I leave that alone or unhook and plug the carb inlet?

You wouldn't drain all the oil, just the filter? It'll be a couple of weeks before she's road ready, still have suspension to iron out.

Tomorrow is planned go day. I still need to hook up aux fuel tank as mine is still removed to get rust out and seal. I'm using one of those old metal boat aux tanks. Any reason I can't prime system with the primer bulb and then run off that track with bulb attached?
You should be good to go, on the timing On the oil, the 1st 30-50 miles, I just do the filter & add to fill...(let the moly paste on the camshaft work). After a little break in time, I would change oil & filter (50 miles).....oil is cheap, compaired to what it cost you on that build longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #10
MASTERBrian

Ok, vacuum advance is currently hooked up. I had the engine set at 12°BTC. I got through the break in process, but she was a little out of time. I've now set the timing light to 32°BTC, and run the motor. I adjusted the distributor until the timing mark was at 0° and she seems to idle nicely around 1000, but starting and turning off are a little rough.

Any pointers here? I've read some things that seem to say leave vacuum advance unhooked, others seen to say hook it up.

I don't think it masters for this but cam is advanced 4° at the chain.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 AM   #11
donut

Unhook and cap the vacuum while setting the timing, then re-connect. The idle may jump when the vacuum is re-connected, just drop the idle down.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
geezer#99

Quote:
Ok, vacuum advance is currently hooked up. I had the engine set at 12°BTC. I got through the break in process, but she was a little out of time. I've now set the timing light to 32°BTC, and run the motor. I adjusted the distributor until the timing mark was at 0° and she seems to idle nicely around 1000, but starting and turning off are a little rough.

Any pointers here? I've read some things that seem to say leave vacuum advance unhooked, others seen to say hook it up.

I don't think it masters for this but cam is advanced 4° at the chain.
So now you're at 32 total, so that leaves you at maybe 8 initial if you have an unmodified distributor.
With your set up you need way more initial and adjust your mechanical.
Your 1000 rpm idle is too high. You're likely kicking well into the mechanical timing.
You need to get the idle down closer to 750 rpm.
Leave your vac pot unhooked until you get your initial timing, mechanical timing and total timing worked out.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #13
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
So now you're at 32 total, so that leaves you at maybe 8 initial if you have an unmodified distributor.
With your set up you need way more initial and adjust your mechanical.
Your 1000 rpm idle is too high. You're likely kicking well into the mechanical timing.
You need to get the idle down closer to 750 rpm.
Leave your vac pot unhooked until you get your initial timing, mechanical timing and total timing worked out.
Where should I get that initial with the advance unhooked? Then I guess I need th figure out how to mess with that.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
whytry85

I usually shoot for somewhere around the 12* initial...

this is how I was taught to set timing on any sbc and make necessary tweaks from there to alleviate any spark knock or detonation you may experience.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kBsd8jkVNFEUXg
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
geezer#99

A little reading for you.
http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...d=76/prd76.htm
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #16
whytry85

Quote:
Good info right there!!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #17
MASTERBrian

I agree that's great info and I think she's more dialed in, just have to get idle down.

@ 3500rpm, I'm at 0° with light set to 36. Now, IF I hook up the advance, I have to figure out how to set that.

Thanks again
Old 04-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #18
geezer#99

While 36 degrees all at 3500 rpm is great for a bone stock sbc it's not what you want for yours. Your heads, cam and compression dictate maximized initial with minimum mechanical and reduced added vac advance.
You can run it like you have it but you're only likely loosing 50 hp.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #19
MASTERBrian

Quote:
While 36 degrees all at 3500 rpm is great for a bone stock sbc it's not what you want for yours. Your heads, cam and compression dictate maximized initial with minimum mechanical and reduced added vac advance.
You can run it like you have it but you're only likely loosing 50 hp.
I set it according to the link you attached, didn't I? Where would you put it?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #20
geezer#99

No!!
Read the 6th paragraph.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #21
MASTERBrian

Quote:
No!!
Read the 6th paragraph.
I've read that several times. I'm not sure if I'm missing something OR if I'm relaying it incorrectly.

He says in the 5th paragraph to ruin rpm at 3500 to get total timing. Then in 6th he says you only want about 10 from the distributor, I'm honestly not sure how much mine has, BUT I think I am gathering hours to figure that out. So if 10 is ideal from mechanical weighs in distributor, then at idle I should be around 26....correct? So if I set the dial to 26 @ idle and get 0° @ balancer, I should be golden....right?

I'll re-read again later, I've been out playing with the front suspension.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #22
geezer#99

Quote:
I've read that several times. I'm not sure if I'm missing something OR if I'm relaying it incorrectly.

He says in the 5th paragraph to ruin rpm at 3500 to get total timing. Then in 6th he says you only want about 10 from the distributor, I'm honestly not sure how much mine has, BUT I think I am gathering hours to figure that out. So if 10 is ideal from mechanical weighs in distributor, then at idle I should be around 26....correct? So if I set the dial to 26 @ idle and get 0° @ balancer, I should be golden....right?

I'll re-read again later, I've been out playing with the front suspension.
Sure you might be golden, but does your motor like that.
Take those numbers as suggestions.
You need to find out what your combo likes. Advance the timing until it pings or is hard to crank when hot, record that number and then set your mechanical timing to add the needed amount to equal 36 degrees all in by 3200 rpm.
So if your motor likes 18 you need about 18 mechanical. If it likes 16 you need 20 mechanical.
Leave the vac advance plugged off until last.