The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #26
donandal

Re: Be careful out in the garage! I ran a drill through my face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am on antibiotics. The broken nasal passage is a wide open window to infection I guess. So that was a given, take antibiotics. I am still surprised they didn't find a piece of metal in there with the cat-scan.

Brian
Thinking about your accident....

When I was a teenager I was doing a job at a tool and die shop that
involved drilling thousands of 1/8 inch holes in 1/2 inch steel plates.

It wasn't uncommon to snap a bit every now and then. One night I woke
up with a terrible sore arm. Hurt So bad I went to the hospital.
The x-ray showed a nice piece of drill bit stuck in the upper bone of my arm!

I never felt it go in...must have really been flying.
It's still there, they didn't want to dig it out so I got antibiotics.
Always wore safety glasses after that.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #27
MARTINSR

WOW, yep crap happens!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #28
my56chevytruck

Just reading your thread gave me the chills.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
58CameoAZ

DANG!! Glad your Ok! That had to of hurt, or still is hurting!

Take Care Buddy! you know you wont do that again,

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #30
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
DANG!! Glad your Ok! That had to of hurt, or still is hurting!

Take Care Buddy! you know you wont do that again,

Allen
Nope, I think once is enough.

Brian

Old 02-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #31
paintman

My former boss lost his eye when a drill bit broke. He was using it in a drill press though. My co-workers and I would always have some fun with him. He lost his right eye so we would always stand to his right to talk to him. We would strike up a conversation and then walk away. He would never see that we had left and he would keep right on talking. LOL!
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #32
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
My former boss lost his eye when a drill bit broke. He was using it in a drill press though. My co-workers and I would always have some fun with him. He lost his right eye so we would always stand to his right to talk to him. We would strike up a conversation and then walk away. He would never see that we had left and he would keep right on talking. LOL!
Now that's not right. LOL

Brian

Old 02-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #33
Dan in Pasadena

NOTE TO SELF:

Do not drill holes in anyone's face, ESPECIALLY myself.

(Sorry Brian, I couldn't help it. Glad you didn't cause anything more serious, looks like it was close to tragic. Be careful out there you guys!)

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #34
mobileortho

I had a cutoff wheel fly apart and hit me in the throut last year. Scared the daylights out of me, I just knew it had went through my wind pipe. Believe me, I learned the hard way to wear the proper protection when using any power tool!

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #35
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
I had a cutoff wheel fly apart and hit me in the throat last year. Scared the daylights out of me, I just knew it had went through my wind pipe. Believe me, I learned the hard way to wear the proper protection when using any power tool!
Believe me, this is among the LEAST graphic photos on Google of grinding wheel failures. There's one of a large diameter grinding wheel that flew apart and apparently killed the operator catching him part way through the head on his right cheek!

Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 AM   #36
MARTINSR

Quote:
I had a cutoff wheel fly apart and hit me in the throut last year. Scared the daylights out of me, I just knew it had went through my wind pipe. Believe me, I learned the hard way to wear the proper protection when using any power tool!
All it takes is one tiny thing, over and over there are close calls and we don't heed the warning.

Brian

Old 02-11-2017, 02:27 AM   #37
Dan in Pasadena

That photo i posted has me wondering if the ordinary plastic face shield i wear is remotely safe enough? I guess it would slow down flying pieces but a big shard like the one this guy caught? I doubt it.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #38
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
That photo i posted has me wondering if the ordinary plastic face shield i wear is remotely safe enough? I guess it would slow down flying pieces but a big shard like the one this guy caught? I doubt it.
no way will a face shield stop a cut off wheel breaking up at full speed, but the steel grinder guard is made to keep that piece from being pointed at you when the wheel explodes. and its not just your face that needs protection!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #39
svr

There was a time in my life when I took the guards off my grinders so I could see better what I was doing and didn't have to stop and readjust them every time i turned the grinder a different way. Had a cutting wheel on one day trying to get 2 pieces of metal aligned to fit together better, wheels caught and jerked grinder out of my hand, wheel proceeded to start at second knuckle on my right finger next to my thumb and travel up into the web between thumb and finger, 20 stitches in emergency room and have little to no feeling in that area anymore, can feel a few pieces of grinding disk still in there, All shield went back on the grinders no matter how big a pain in the ass they are.
svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #40
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
no way will a face shield stop a cut off wheel breaking up at full speed, but the steel grinder guard is made to keep that piece from being pointed at you when the wheel explodes. and its not just your face that needs protection!
I have to tell you, I thought about that when I went to the hardware store and got the 3M one I got. It looked kinda chinsy in a clear plastic bag for retail sale and it was the cheaper one they had. But I got it thinking I would order a better one on line like I use for gas welding, a "Bionic" face shield.

So I grabbed that 3M one and went with it. When I opened it I was pleased to find that lense was WAY thicker than I thought. It's about a 1/16" which if you think about it is pretty thick for something like this. I am convinced that when that drill came back there is a good possibility it would have been deflected and not gone through. Same goes for the cut off wheel. The shield is round shaped it hitting any part of the shield would likely send it off in a different direction. It doesn't take much to do this, I think this shield would have a real good chance of deflecting the object hitting it.

Let me put it this way, what in the hell could it hurt wearing one? I am wearing it every time I grab the drill now, this life is too precious.

Brian

Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #41
MARTINSR

And I know one thing, I am glad I posted this here to start a conversation on the subject, we all need to think about it a lot more.

This goes for breathing and hearing protection too. Life is too short, just a few changes and it can mean a lot later in life at how well you are aging.

Brian

Old 02-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #42
joedoh

I wasnt guessing that it wouldnt stop a disc, it is a researched fact that people have been blinded and even died wearing face shields with exploding cut off wheels when the grinder guard is removed. the metal guard on the grinder is what is made to keep you safe. I dont know what it would have done with a drill bit though.

at least you know not to point it at yourself, thats a great lesson too, look at where the pieces or the end of the drill will end up if something happens, its the old "drawing a knife towards you" lesson in whittling.

edit: here is the first one I found in a search

https://work.alberta.ca/documents/WHS-PUB_al024.pdf

Last edited by joedoh; 02-11-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #43
MARTINSR

Yeah, the angle of the drill, that is a tough one. I was pushing UP, not towards my face, not even close towards my face. I was pushing up and when it let go my hands pulled the drill back into my face. Yes, it's the "same" but just not as obvious, until it happens!

Brian

Old 02-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #44
MARTINSR

This is the lens I got. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4769010&rt=rud

Brian

Old 02-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #45
Rickysnickers

I'm an avid woodworker and I used to watch "New Yankee Workshop" when it was airing. Always remember, "...and there's no more important rule than to wear these, (pointing to his face) safety glasses."
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #46
mobileortho

Quote:

This goes for breathing and hearing protection too. Life is too short, just a few changes and it can mean a lot later in life at how well you are aging.

Brian
Amen! I wish I'd thought more about this when I was younger. I've been exposed to loud noises off & on most of my life & rarely did I wear hearing protection. A few years ago I developed tinnitus ( ringing in the ears). The audiologist said there was nothing clinically proven to help it. It wasn't too loud at the time, just a tad bit annoying.

This past December, I had to have brain surgery for something unrelated, but for whatever reason I ended up losing my hearing in my left ear. Now the ringing on that side is off the charts! Loud noises make it worse to the point where it's caused me to have anxiety attacks at restaurants with my family. It's sensory overload trying to process all the sounds coming in through one ear over the ringing coming from the other side. It's unrelenting, 24/7.

If you aren't, take my advise & wear the appropriate protection!

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #47
MARTINSR

Quote:
Amen! I wish I'd thought more about this when I was younger. I've been exposed to loud noises off & on most of my life & rarely did I wear hearing protection. A few years ago I developed tinnitus ( ringing in the ears). The audiologist said there was nothing clinically proven to help it. It wasn't too loud at the time, just a tad bit annoying.

This past December, I had to have brain surgery for something unrelated, but for whatever reason I ended up losing my hearing in my left ear. Now the ringing on that side is off the charts! Loud noises make it worse to the point where it's caused me to have anxiety attacks at restaurants with my family. It's sensory overload trying to process all the sounds coming in through one ear over the ringing coming from the other side. It's unrelenting, 24/7.

If you aren't, take my advise & wear the appropriate protection!

I have Tinnitus too, not fun and it is getting worse. I have never heard of it as bad as you have it, crap! Isn't it odd how it will change with a real noise? A "click" or something and the ringing tone goes up and down, it's so odd.

Brian

Old 02-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #48
Advanced Design

When I was 17 years old I climbed down from a farm tractor I had been driving all day, called my girlfriend (now my wife of 33 years) and I couldn't hear her! Not at all...from that time I used hearing protection and fortunately I have good hearing to this day.

A different shop safety subject is welding through brake clean residue which causes phosgene gas. I came across this article in the tools, shop and safety portion of the website and is good to remember the dangers...http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #49
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
When I was 17 years old I climbed down from a farm tractor I had been driving all day, called my girlfriend (now my wife of 33 years) and I couldn't hear her! Not at all...from that time I used hearing protection and fortunately I have good hearing to this day.

A different shop safety subject is welding through brake clean residue which causes phosgene gas. I came across this article in the tools, shop and safety portion of the website and is good to remember the dangers...http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html
WOW!

It's like "Weld through primer" is 95% zinc! You are breathing zinc when you weld through it and get "zinc fume fever" if you don't have good air movement and protection.

You ALWAYS want good air movement when welding!

Brian

Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #50
joedoh

Quote:
thats the one I use, doesnt scratch up and is only 15 bucks with the headband. now if I could just remember to switch shoes before welding. the mesh tennis shoes offer no hindrance to slag and my socks all have holes.