The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
FAKKY

IC - which rack and pinion

Took the front end parts off a 93 dodge dakota for the IC IFS swap. There was no R&P. Brakes and arms only etc.

Looking on a few vendor sites there are multiple models of the rack and pinion depending on year. Supposedly even in 1993 there was a crossover month.
Steves blog mentions

The Rack and Pinions

There are a few ratios available and there are even non-assisted racks. To keep it simple, the earlier 1987-1990 Dakota trucks have a 14mm X 1.5 thread pitch on the tie rods and have a smaller stud and nut on the tie rod end requiring a 3/4″ wrench. The 1991-1996 Dakota trucks have a 15mm X 1.5 thread on the tie rods and a larger stud and nut on the tie rod ends requiring a 7/8″ wrench. There does not appear to be a strength issue with either, I suspect this had to do with the Viper connection more than anything else. If you are going to mix and match parts, be aware that your rack and spindles must match. If you are using dropped spindles and have a 1990-1996 Dakota donor, we recommend you use the 1987-1990 spindles as the bore for the tie rod end is smaller. You will need to drill out the steering arm to 5/8″ for the tie rod drop. If you have the 1991-1996 spindle, the tie rod bore is larger than 5/8″ and could cause issue.

So kinda confused what determines which one to use. I figured the R&P and the TRE need to match in terms of thread pitch ...... but asides that the main thing would be the "bore" size on the spindle.
I measured mine and it looks close to 16mm or 5/8. I dont know if this varies between years.

Any ideas on how to track which R&P I need to order ??

Example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Pow...pUMqxV&vxp=mtr

IN the notes it says ....
DODGE DAKOTA 1993 2WD; AFTER 7/12/93

Rockauto doesn't show that but there are lots of variations in model #'s listed across years.

*shrug*
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
yossarian19

Re: IC - which rack and pinion

If I'm following this right, the spindles need to match the outer tie rods which need to match the inner tie rods. The tapered stud on the outer tie rods are larger on the later year spindles and the threaded connection to the inner tie rod is 1mm larger as well (as I read it, anyway)
If that's the case what you need to do is take one of your spindles to the auto parts store and ask for two outer tie rods: one from a '91 and one from a '94 or '95, just be sure you have one early and one late tie rod. Check which one fits the spindle properly. If you have a micrometer or a vernier caliper, bring that along too. Couldn't hurt.
Failing that, I'd clean up the spindles and look for a casting number. Being a mopar product, there are bound to be some raving maniacs that will tell you more than you want to know about it somewhere on the internet.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
FAKKY

Re: IC - which rack and pinion

Hey Yos.

Yeah I pretty sure the inner/outer TRE have different sizes and thread pitch as per below - btu geenrally that should be ok as basically buy a complete set for the year (meaning 93 everything).

Problem is the crossover year listed in ebay is mine ... 1993. Cant determine why its crossover year ...... meaning did they come with different size TRE bore which means have to match right spindle as well.

What makes it confusing is only 1-2 vendors list this crossover year but with no details. Like if you buy a 1993 R&P from rockauto - there is no notes for variations.

the TRE also dont specifiy sizes either in their TRE joint ......
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote