The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
BIGglaSS

Leaky doors?

I have been working on door repair for the last several months. (1957 pickup). These doors/cabs are a pain to align. I finally got the drivers door decently adjusted and shutting flush.

Today I put on the door seal to make sure all was still good. Seal is "Precision" brand. Lets just say that most spots are wide enough to throw a dead cat through.

Am I trying too hard to make these doors fit and seal up? Should I be looking for thicker door seals? Even with thicker door seals, I doubt the upper frame around the window would seal. These doors are too flexible up there.

Can they be made to keep the water out?
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
my56chevytruck

Re: Leaky doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
I have been working on door repair for the last several months. (1957 pickup). These doors/cabs are a pain to align. I finally got the drivers door decently adjusted and shutting flush.

Today I put on the door seal to make sure all was still good. Seal is "Precision" brand. Lets just say that most spots are wide enough to throw a dead cat through.

Am I trying too hard to make these doors fit and seal up? Should I be looking for thicker door seals? Even with thicker door seals, I doubt the upper frame around the window would seal. These doors are too flexible up there.

Can they be made to keep the water out?
You're use of the analogy "to throw a dead cat through" started my day out. But seriously, I've used "SOFF SEAL" on my 56 truck and they seal great. I tried OEM seals but couldn't get my door to even close. Yes mine is water proof. You've tried all hinge and door lock adjustments??

Last edited by my56chevytruck; 04-15-2017 at 09:59 AM.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
MARTINSR

You are missing something, the doors aren't aligned or the rubber is on wrong. Yes there are brands that don't work well but the extreme you are at, it sounds like you have something wrong. Post some photos.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
my56chevytruck

One additional thought, I know if you are using weatherstrip seals for these trucks, you can put them on backwards. In other words, they can go on backwards, with the extended rubber lip laying against the body, rather than sticking out. Good luck.
Morrie
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
dsraven

Start by che king the integrity of the actual door frame itself. My old doors have several cracks in the tin in the window channel area plus the hinge mount area. If I grab the door at the latch end and twist it the door is flexible enough to allow a twisting movement due to the broken structure. If yours is the same then fix that first and then get the door to fit the opening and adjust the fender to fit the door. Thats just my wY of doing it. If the fender is off you can hang the doors with the hinges loose enough to move, then close the door and adjust to fit a d tighten the hinges when done. You could read up on doctor martinsr's door adjustment bible. He has it figured out. Great job Brian. Thanks for posting those "from eperience" articles that help so many of us.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
_Ogre

if the rubber seal looks good, it's probably backwards
correct direction

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
BIGglaSS

Thanks guys.

Brian, Ogre, I think it's backwards. After the last adjustment, I think the door needs to go back 1/16".

dsraven,
Quote:
Start by che king the integrity of the actual door frame itself. My old doors have several cracks in the tin in the window channel area plus the hinge mount area.
No cracks that I'm aware of. I repaired the hinge mounts, they were cracked. I just expected the doors to be more rigid.

Brian, I have been reading your "basics" for many years. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Yep.. looks backwards when compaired to ogres truck,, it does look a little close at upper front corner.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Yep it's backwards, on the door fit, getting it better, yeah it's possible but honestly, they were NOT very good from the factory, hints the huge rubber seal.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
Russell Ashley

Yes, that is backwards. Don't feel bad, it's a common mistake. I did that on my last truck and it was a glue-on seal.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
TI think it's backwards.
don't feel bad, ogre installed his backwards too

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #12
joedoh

I have heard of using a banana for scale but never a dead cat. does it have to be dead so you can throw it?

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
BIGglaSS

I turned the seal around. All the holes line up, except the ones along the bottom, had to redrill.

Fix one problem, create two more. Before putting the seal on, I had the doors working really good. Latches were smooth. Now I have to slam it to compress the seal. Do to the tension on the latch, it takes two hands to push the button to get it to release. From the belt line down sticks out more than 1/4". The seal won't compress enough to get the door flush.

But, the upper frame fits nice. Snug and flush.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #14
dsraven

my buddy had the same problem with his 54 and the seal he got from a well known supplier. tried everything. then tried softseal and it was like night and day. fits well first time. his doors fit well,then he installed the first set of seals and his doors looked just like yours, sticking out too far. took that seal off and got some softseal and they fit like they should now.
usually I like to install the seals after the paint,if that is your plan, to paint it. not saying thats the right way, just the way I do it. your way may be better in that you fit EVERYTHING first.
worth a try i would say.good luck.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote