The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
bwhizz

4wd to 2wd blazer conversion

What needs to b done to convert a 69-72 4 wheel drive to a 2 wheel drive blazer?how extensive is it to perform this and to be done correctly?
bwhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
TheWraith

Re: 4wd to 2wd blazer conversion

This is a pretty popular question, so you could certainly search the forum and find lots of great information, but since I'm (very slowly) working on a swap, I'll put out there what I know.

First off, if you are trying to emulate factory, you are going to want to either just buy a 2WD blazer or find a frame from one, because from what I'm told, they are different - the frame is different and the rear suspension is different.

If you are on the other hand, just looking to make a relatively cheap 2wd blazer, and lower it, like most here seem to be, then this information can help you:

Rear Suspension, etc: You will want to get a set of 5 lug axles from another truck, or order them aftermarket. These can come from a first gen c10, or an earlier square body with the 12 bolt. You can leave the rear leaf spring suspension in place, and you can do an axle flip kit to lower it 5." I used this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/djm-fk1012-5 You'll need shocks set up for the lowered suspension, I bought DJM 2100's. There are certainly other options for the rear suspension though too.

Front Suspension, etc: it all needs to go - everything is coming out. Your best bet is to get an entire donor front crossmember from a RWD truck. This should have full suspension, brakes and steering box, because the 4wd stuff must go. I haven't gone through this process yet, but I am told it's the same setup in the square body trucks too, so I have the entire front crossmember from a 74 RWD C10.

Once you've removed everything from the old setup, you can use a couple of existing holes in the frame to bolt in the new crossmember, and you're going to need to drill a bunch of new holes.

this post has the best information on the holes for alignment I've seen so far:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6780593

to go with my 5" rear drop, I got 3" front drop spindles from DJM too http://www.summitracing.com/parts/djm-ds2045h-3

For the front suspension, there are also bolt in kits to replace everything, but they are not cheap. This is one of the more affordable options I've seen: http://nolimitengineering.com/produc...32&id=26810473

Transmission and driveline: The transfer case needs to come out and you'll need to at least change out the tailshaft of the transmission if not swap the transmission entirely. You'll need a new driveshaft of the appropriate length.

I'm sure I'm missing 100 small details, but this is the bigger stuff.
TheWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: 4wd to 2wd blazer conversion

Welcome to the board.

TheWraith covered most of it. If you like visuals (like me) SportTruck Magazine did an article on the conversion. I believe they simplified and possibly skipped a few steps but the basics are there.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote