The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #26
1project2many

Re: Mistakes I made

I'm lucky enough to have started learning what not to do from an early age. With this truck I did many of the mechanical repairs before I ever started on cosmetics and that worked great. I put it on the road in '92, took it off the road in '95, then rolled it out with new paint and body work at the end of '98. Now we're approaching 20 years later and what I want from my truck has changed. So I'm planning work that can be done without major reconstruction:

Complete the NVG4500 swap started in '95
Install Hydravac power brakes
Install "power assist" steering
Replace or reinforce left and right steering arms

The only thing I wish I'd done differently is implementing the fuel injection harness. When I built the truck it was getting more popular to do 100 point restorations. I was making every change with the idea that it could be easily undone to return the truck to 100% stock. I ran the wiring harness through the firewall where the original voltage regulator was installed thinking that "undoing" the change would only mean pulling the harness, installing a plug in the firewall, and reinstalling the regulator.
But I've never been happy with the way it looks.

Hmm... so I guess that points out a good bit of advice to prevent mistakes. "It's a rare person indeed that takes a modified truck back to stock. Most of us will never go back and many of us modify it further at a later date. Build it for you, not the next guy."

Last edited by 1project2many; 12-03-2017 at 08:52 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #27
robertsjm711

Mine would be buying parts for a project that depends on another unfinished project. Totally random example would be "Hey, those steering column parts are cheap, I'm sure they will fit" before checking clearance of headers. Before buying headers. Before installing engine. Before fully deciding on engine type.

Just because you are excited to be at a swap meet with a whole lot of gloriously rust parts & a pocket full of Benjamins does not mean you need them all.

Don't put the cart before the horse?

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #28
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
My biggest mistake is grossly underestimating the amount of time a project will take. I always forget to account for the "snowball" effect...
There was an article in a "Rod Action" magazine back in the seventies that laid this issue out and it was friggin hilarious and accurate as hell on the subject.

What it basically said was for you to figure out how much time it will take and then double that, then triple that! It said, "You will still be wrong but at least you will be a lot closer." LOL And it also added that you can use the same calculation with the money part of it. LOL

Yep, I would say that is pretty good stuff.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #29
MARTINSR

Does running a drill through your face count in this thread?

Yep, right below my right eye next to my nose. Into the sinus cavity breaking the bone.

I made a key chain out of the very drill bit, just to remind me when I unlock my tool box.

With my truck, I would say the biggest mistake was tearing apart a perfectly finished driving truck for a "rebuild" 25 years ago and it's still in pieces.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #30
MARTINSR

Thought you would enjoy the Catscan.

I have broken two bones in my whole life, and they happened 16 years apart and about 150 feet apart at this same shop.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2017, 02:29 AM   #31
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsjm711 View Post
Mine would be buying parts for a project that depends on another unfinished project. Totally random example would be "Hey, those steering column parts are cheap, I'm sure they will fit" before checking clearance of headers. Before buying headers. Before installing engine. Before fully deciding on engine type.

my wife sums this up, she says "we dont need any more orphans", she is talking about the ford fenders I have for the ford truck I dont have, or the vintage alarm system I never deign any project nice enough to install it in, or the hundred other parts that have no home except a shelf.

I have actually stopped buying that kind of stuff, it seems to me I have all I need when I need it, usually at a higher price than the stuff I find randomly but not as high as figuring on keeping it warm and dry for years till I need it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #32
yossarian19

I think for me, it's along the lines of
1. Check out your starting place thoroughly before deciding. I could have been totally happy with the I-beam front axle - I've driven stick axle vehicles as daily drivers since 2007 - but the one i started with is totally sloppy on the king pin bosses and spindle bores. So, yeah, after changing to power steering, disc brakes, new king pins and tapered bearings, new shackles, added caster etc it still drives like garbage at 50 mph. Total waste of money and time.
2. Don't break out the sawzall just yet. Or maybe ever.
3. Don't do anything "just for now". Better to haul it off on a trailer and wait for the next work space than to half-arse something and do it again, and again, and again
4. Know when to hire it out. I wired the truck, LS swap and all. The body and gauges were fine but man, I wish I'd hired out the LS harness. It runs like a champ but gawd what an unpleasant process that was to get it where it is.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #33
Desert1957

I have delayed starting my 49 project while I wade through every bit of great information from post just like this one.

ALL builders of trucks on this forum have helped many people more than you will ever know. Thanks for posting every little detail about your builds, keep it up.

Name:  1 - Copy.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  34.5 KB
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #34
mobileortho

This literally just happened. I was trying to figure out why the park feature on my wipers stopped working when the cab filled with smoke from a shorted wire. My first instinct was to snatch it off the wiper switch... big mistake. My garage is wreaking from the smell of burnt plastic & flesh!
Attached Images

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #35
vintovka

OOOOOWEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Ice and butter!! Battery cutoff switch!!!
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 PM   #36
dsraven

been there. at least it was small gage wire. and, you found the wiring issue.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #37
joedoh

ouch! you shouldnt be welding with the wipers!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #38
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
been there. at least it was small gage wire. and, you found the wiring issue.
I wish! It still wont park!

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote