The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #1
Short 3/4

Go Devil Run looks fun

Anybody else see the article in this month’s Four Wheeler magazine about the Go Devil Run? Was about the third annual rally for flat fender Jeeps that still run the original flathead fours. Definitely not a chrome polishers gathering, they thrash those old jeeps on real trails like God intended. Looked like so much fun I was tempted to go to the dark side and trade my old Chevy for a flatty.

Made me wish there was a similar event for old trucks. Somewhere where old stockish 50’s and 60’s trucks still running drum brakes, closed knuckle front ends and one barrel carbs could get out and have some real off-road fun. No power steering, lift kits or LS motors allowed. I’m thinking not just Chevys, but also International’s, Power Wagons and every kind of NAPCOs.

Anybody out there know of such a group, or want to start one? Sign me up!

Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:31 AM   #2
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Go Devil Run looks fun

I think a Land Cruiser/Toyota group in Utah used to organize a "relic run" where the participants had to bring rides that were from like 1985 and older, with the added bonus to use camping gear from the same era. So think of metal jacketed coolers, Coleman stoves/lanterns, and the like.

I personally like the idea, but I wouldn't force folks to use old gear for the sake of nostalgia. Vintage Coleman gear is cool and all, but I'm not going out for a weekend or a week with a cooler that can't keep ice for more than a few hours. I like COLD frosty ones when camping and don't enjoy the Russian roulette of cooking a steak that *might* have got a little too warm in the vintage cooler.

I'd say most guys wouldn't want to go full on Rock crawling with a vintage chebby, but an easy 2-3 day (or more) overlandish type run would be up most people's comfort and skill level.

The Desert Trips I've been on with Larry get along those lines. A good time getting away with like minded folks that enjoy exploring. Our group is split between vintage squarebodies and late model Ram Power Wagons. 2020 had our largest group at the beginning with 3 Squarebodies, 1 67-72 Burb, 3 Rams and 2 Tacomas.

The idea over the last 2-3 years is less extreme trails, but still remote and ready for a challenge if the need comes up. Just get out and explore our vast public lands.

If there is anybody in Colorado that want's to link up and go play I'd gladly go show them around.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I'm nostalgic for that time when it was all about the Flatty for backcountry trail bashing. The classic truck was for hauling that toy to the fun.

I've always been about the vintage 4wds and vintage camping. I use the old gear where it still makes sense. I still use old coolers. Mine keep cool for 2 days in the summer heat. But I'm not camping out in the desert for a week.

I'd like to see a vintage 4wd club. If I was a rich guy with a collection I'd have a 3/4t 4wd from each brand in the 67-72 era, 60-66 era, and at least one each from the '50s. Of course, then there would be the building with the earliest, rarest, custom-built, and one-off. I would allow you guys to come tour it for free

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:19 AM   #4
Zoomad75
K5Camper

I guess I'm spoiled with my 12v fridge. But I also like desert running when it's hot. I spent almost half of what I paid for the fridge on ice over a week in Utah for my first desert trip.

The limiting factor here is the value of 4wd GM trucks from the 50's and 60's is up high enough most wouldn't be willing to take on an easy trail with them. I love Napco's but even if I had one I don't think I'd take it out on a trail ride either. Diving more than 15 miles to a trail on the highway might be rough with the deep gearing and shorter tires they are normally equipped with.

I'm all for guys getting out and enjoying their trucks. How ever they do it. Just get out there and get some dirt on the tires.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:27 AM   #5
Short 3/4

Yea, IÂ’ve heard of the Relic Run. Sounds like itÂ’s more about the vintage camping equipment and the trucks are secondary. I have no nostalgia for having to change mantleÂ’s on my Coleman lantern every evening because they shook apart that day on the trail, and donÂ’t get me started about having to head back into town every 3 days for ice. IÂ’ll never give up my LED lanterns and Engle fridge!

That said, I just really still like driving my old 60Â’s cars and trucks like I did back when they were just used vehicles. While I try to keep them running good I try not to overdo the body and paint. My idea of a good time is to load up the wife and dog in my truck or TR4 and go find a dirt road. And if something breaks you can usually fix it with a big rock and bailing wire.ThatÂ’s why IÂ’d never want one of those 100K trucks you see on TV in the auctions.

IÂ’m not looking to do the Rubicon Trail Run in my old Chevy and my idea of a good day is when you donÂ’t break something. I just think it would be fun to share the trail with something other than all the brand new stuff you usually see out there. A few years back I came across a group of riders on vintage Indian motorcycles way way out in the back dirt roads of Death Valley. These guys were on some seriously rare and valuable bikes, yet were in the middle of a 3 day off-road rally. They sure looked like they were having fun, using them for what they were built for.

Anyway, thatÂ’s my dream. I know itÂ’s not at all sane or normal, but I figured this group was a safe place to share it.

Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Old 11-17-2022, 02:32 AM   #6
Short 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
Yea, IÂ’ve heard of the Relic Run. Sounds like itÂ’s more about the vintage camping equipment and the trucks are secondary. I have no nostalgia for having to change mantleÂ’s on my Coleman lantern every evening because they shook apart that day on the trail, and donÂ’t get me started about having to head back into town every 3 days for ice. IÂ’ll never give up my LED lanterns and Engle fridge!

That said, I just really still like driving my old 60Â’s cars and trucks like I did back when they were just used vehicles. While I try to keep them running good I try not to overdo the body and paint. My idea of a good time is to load up the wife and dog in my truck or TR4 and go find a dirt road. And if something breaks you can usually fix it with a big rock and bailing wire.ThatÂ’s why IÂ’d never want one of those 100K trucks you see on TV in the auctions.

IÂ’m not looking to do the Rubicon Trail Run in my old Chevy and my idea of a good day is when you donÂ’t break something. I just think it would be fun to share the trail with something other than all the brand new stuff you usually see out there. A few years back I came across a group of riders on vintage Indian motorcycles way way out in the back dirt roads of Death Valley. These guys were on some seriously rare and valuable bikes, yet were in the middle of a 3 day off-road rally. They sure looked like they were having fun, using them for what they were built for.

Anyway, thatÂ’s my dream. I know itÂ’s not at all sane or normal, but I figured this group was a safe place to share it.

Tom
Hey
Anybody know we’re those funny capital A’s came from in my post? They weren’t there when I hit “submit”
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Old 11-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I noticed and wondered, but have no idea. After two or three I figured it was some weird glitch.

Yeah, there are many ways to enjoy off road vehicles than putting to extremes. Back east we don't have a zillion acres of BLM desert land. I see trucks all set up for back country running around here and have to chuckle. "Where ya goin'"? Just down the road from me is a guy with a business that sells adventure camping gear. Probably for Toyotas. That's what he has and what I see there.

A group of old 4wds going out to use them is a great idea. I always wished I had friends with old 4wds to do that with.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #8
Short 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm nostalgic for that time when it was all about the Flatty for backcountry trail bashing. The classic truck was for hauling that toy to the fun.

I've always been about the vintage 4wds and vintage camping. I use the old gear where it still makes sense. I still use old coolers. Mine keep cool for 2 days in the summer heat. But I'm not camping out in the desert for a week.

I'd like to see a vintage 4wd club. If I was a rich guy with a collection I'd have a 3/4t 4wd from each brand in the 67-72 era, 60-66 era, and at least one each from the '50s. Of course, then there would be the building with the earliest, rarest, custom-built, and one-off. I would allow you guys to come tour it for free
What a coincidence
When I win the Powerball and am a gazillionare I’m going to open the same museum here on the west coast. I’m even going to have a Sahara 4x4, truly the strangest off-road vehicle ever built.
I’ll fly you out to see mine if you fly me out to see yours
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Old 11-18-2022, 01:04 AM   #9
Zoomad75
K5Camper

I've learned my lesson about going too extreme on trails with my truck. While fun, it's still impacting my wallet. *Does anybody have a spare VSS rear bearing housing for a 241 handy?** I need to buy or build something to beat on for rock crawling trails. Save the K5 Camper for exploration.

I don't know if I even would have my truck if I still lived back east with little to no public lands to go play on. Off Road parks back there look fun, but geared to the crawler or rock bouncers for sure. Plus the trees get a lot tighter back there.

Blazer Bash in Moab usually brings a great cross section of GM based 4wd trucks out to play. The more hardcore trailer stuff in for the hard trails, but a good chunk drive in. We had more than a few first gen K5's that took on mild to wild trails. One drove a bone stock 87 K5 with a Hallmark camper from as far as Florida for the second year and he did great on the mild stuff.

All in all its a good time with like minded folks that enjoy old GM trucks and wheeling.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
What a coincidence
When I win the Powerball and am a gazillionare I’m going to open the same museum here on the west coast. I’m even going to have a Sahara 4x4, truly the strangest off-road vehicle ever built.
I’ll fly you out to see mine if you fly me out to see yours
Only if lobster diner included . I've been working on building the collection for mine. I'm happy to say it is well on it's way. So far I have gathered one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
I've learned my lesson about going too extreme on trails with my truck. While fun, it's still impacting my wallet. *Does anybody have a spare VSS rear bearing housing for a 241 handy?** I need to buy or build something to beat on for rock crawling trails. Save the K5 Camper for exploration.

I don't know if I even would have my truck if I still lived back east with little to no public lands to go play on. Off Road parks back there look fun, but geared to the crawler or rock bouncers for sure. Plus the trees get a lot tighter back there.

Blazer Bash in Moab usually brings a great cross section of GM based 4wd trucks out to play. The more hardcore trailer stuff in for the hard trails, but a good chunk drive in. We had more than a few first gen K5's that took on mild to wild trails. One drove a bone stock 87 K5 with a Hallmark camper from as far as Florida for the second year and he did great on the mild stuff.

All in all its a good time with like minded folks that enjoy old GM trucks and wheeling.
I learned my lesson on rocks in my old '69 W200 while living near Flagstaff. I bent my tie rod in no time flat. I fixed that, then there was the first mud bog at the drive-in. Prior to that weekend I had people telling me I should enter the truck, so I did. After seeing one truck spit a steering knuckle off and most others get thrown into the side bank due to a hard high center I withdrew. I had to drive that truck 2,500 miles back home. I did a whole lot of scenic back country running, though.

We used to go everywhere around here before 4wds became popular. Along with numbers comes trouble (& more impact) and next thing I knew places got shut down. Lots of day fun around here but no vast open areas to explore for days on end in a vehicle. 4-wheeling in ORV parks to me is like ice skating at a skating rink compared to frozen rivers and lakes. My 4wd builds anymore lean toward the vocational utility vs recreational. But a lo-profile 8' camper on my K2500 could get a lot of use making camp where less people tread.

Tim