The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1960-1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
RBW

Wanted: OEM dash panel tach

I have the 4 gauge dash panel for my '62, and would like to add the OEM tach. Any out there for sale?
RBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
pimpston65

Re: Wanted: OEM dash panel tach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBW View Post
I have the 4 gauge dash panel for my '62, and would like to add the OEM tach. Any out there for sale?
$$$$
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
rvrfoot

x2
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Does it absolutely have to be OEM or would a reproduction be okay?

The reason I ask is because reproductions of the 63-66 Chevy truck tachometers are readily available and can be used in a 60-62 Chevy gauge cluster.

The only difference between the 60-62 vs. 63-66 tachometers is the control electronics. 60-62 had the electronics inside an external transmitter box with only a meter movement mounted in the instrument panel. While the 63-66 tach is a self-contained unit with the electronics mounted on a circuit board directly behind the meter movement. The face plates have the same appearance and both mount the same way to the existing backing plate that currently holds the blank block-off plate.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
GMCNUT

I bought a brand new reproduction tach, removed it from the box it came in and installed it in my 63 and it only reads to 1000 RPM's regardless of high high you rev the motor - more cheap chinese trash
1961 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 283 V8 & Powerglide w/ uber-rare Cool-Pack A/C, factory PB, deluxe heat, Clock
1961 GMC K1000 4x4 SWB w/ BBW, Custom Cab and numbers matching 305D V6 engine & 4 spd
1960 GMC SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 305A V6 & Hydramatic, factory PB, Clock, Tach, Compass, Hood Jet
1959 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab w/ rare stainless bed trim, #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, Deluxe Heat, radio, spotlight
1958 Chevy Cameo #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, radio, window washers, Factory PB
1958 GMC BBW SWB Fleetside Custom Cab, #'s matching 336 V8 Hydramatic, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Deluxe Heat & Hood Jet
1957 GMC Suburban Pickup (GMC's Cameo) #'s matching 347 V8 Hydramatic, uber-rare vacuum ashtray, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Hood Jet
1956 Chevy 3800 1 ton w/ rare 9 ft stepside bed, factory 265 V8 w/ Hydramatic, factory PB, Custom Cab, deluxe heat, spotlight and hood jet.
GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
RBW

A quality reproduction would be fine. Is there a source you could recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Does it absolutely have to be OEM or would a reproduction be okay?

The reason I ask is because reproductions of the 63-66 Chevy truck tachometers are readily available and can be used in a 60-62 Chevy gauge cluster.

The only difference between the 60-62 vs. 63-66 tachometers is the control electronics. 60-62 had the electronics inside an external transmitter box with only a meter movement mounted in the instrument panel. While the 63-66 tach is a self-contained unit with the electronics mounted on a circuit board directly behind the meter movement. The face plates have the same appearance and both mount the same way to the existing backing plate that currently holds the blank block-off plate.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBW View Post
A quality reproduction would be fine. Is there a source you could recommend?
Chances are, the reproduction tachs all come from the same manufacturer. So if you decide to go with a reproduction, look for a vendor with a good return/exchange policy in case you run into issues like GMCNUT.

Also be aware that there can be compatibility issues between some tachometers and some electronic ignition systems.

Years ago I had a nice old tachometer in my Nova ... I can't remember what brand it was but it had a heavy metal case and was probably made in the late 60's or early 70's. It worked great with the original points ignition but when I switched to HEI, that tach just stayed at about 1000 and didn't respond to changes in engine RPM.

Dad has an OEM tach in his 66 C10 and a reproduction in his 63 Impala SS. No problems with either one of them but he is running points in both vehicles. And he doesn't have any plans to change so we've never tested either of those tachs to see if they'll work with electronic ignition or not.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:30 AM   #8
RBW

My ignition is the older type solid state that had worked well with aftermarket tachs. I'm wondering if the in-dash unit you bought might work in my system. PM me if you'd be willing to let me try it, and then buy it if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
I bought a brand new reproduction tach, removed it from the box it came in and installed it in my 63 and it only reads to 1000 RPM's regardless of high high you rev the motor - more cheap chinese trash