The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
mpierce9

Refinishing your fiberglass top

I've got a 1975 and the top has seen better days. no cracks or major damage but all the seals are old and rotted and the finish is dull and looks crappy.

I'm wondering if anyone has refinished their top. I've seen a few threads on different boards about using raptor liner or other products. Most people go through this process
  1. Remove the hardware (windows, seals and what not)
  2. Sand the inside and outside down
  3. Apply the new finish

Does anyone have any experience with this?
mpierce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Refinishing your fiberglass top

I haven't done it yet, but will have to on both of mine. I want to clean the inside w/no sanding (or even painting if I can help it) to leave the factory texture on the interior side of the top. On the outside, I guess I've made peace with the notion of them having to be sanded smooth to be primed and repainted. Are you going to take the glass out yourself?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
mpierce9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I Are you going to take the glass out yourself?
I think so. Is this a larger challenge then I thought?

My top leaks in the top middle. There are no holes but if water pools there and sits over a few days it will eventually drip through.

My goal is to remove all the windows, seals and what not. Scrub the inside with a brush and bleach, sand the outside smooth, paint the outside with an off white Raptor Liner type product and finally replace the seals and windows. feels like a lot of work but not too complicated.
mpierce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I don't think it'd be too bad a job but I've never pulled glass so I don't know for sure. Personally, I'd probably be comfortable pulling the glass, refurbing the top as you outlined, then get the glass reinstalled w/new seals by someone that does it for a living. Then again, there's probably a video on youtube that'll walk you through installing the glass.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
blazer2007

I watched a glass shop do mine and it looked so easy,all he used was a rope and pulled ,should be on u tube
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
goochy

My top is in BAD shape , very "dry " looking . No big cracks , all seals gone . Has anyone figured up what cost of all new seals , sanding , and painting top would be ? I am thinking of buying a new soft top . ( $1100 ) to your door . and not fixing my hard top right now .
goochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
Am3rican

I just pulled a couple windows, its pretty easy. I had the top off and had it standing up on the front end (half top) which made it really easy. If it is on the rig you probably need a helper.
Basically it goes like this...

there is a locking strip on the outside of the seal, locate the small metal clip and carefully remove it. Then remove the locking strip, it is a piece of rubber type material about a 1/4 inch or so in diameter, try not to stretch it when pulling it. It was also recommended that if it is stretched not to cut any off the end when replacing it since it will shrink back to its original length so try to compress it on re install if needed.

The from the inside start to work the seal over the lip on the top. I used a screw driver but a wider plastic tool would be more appropriate. It is a little hard to get it started but once it is I used my finger to pull down the seal and push it behind the lip on the top. (easier to do than explain) The corner are kind of a pain because the seal bunches up there. Once you have one long side and the two short side worked out the window will tip out and can be pulled from the last side.

With a little patience this was an easy job, took maybe 10 minutes per window working alone. I haven't re-installed them yet so I can't help with the procedure for that.
Am3rican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
goochy

Forgot to mention mine is a full vert 74 model
goochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Am3rican

up here there is usually one or two of these for sale on Craigslist both full and half tops, some are in really good condition. Prices are mostly $100 or less. If you can find one in your area might make it easier and wouldn't leave you topless during the restoration...window removal is the same for either style top.
Am3rican is offline   Reply With Quote