The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
lkfldredneck

Door handle question..

So, door handle rotted through. ripped the bolt out of the one side trying to open it the other day.

Ordered a new handle, it works great. nice quality. But, the problem im having is with the rod. I got it off, non the less with mangling the clip that held the rod on the latch actuator thing.

I tried getting it back on without using the clip hoping it would hold itself inside and be fine. but thats not the case.

I also noticed from other pictures ive seen, the rod is pointing towards the door jam. or, latch. (L shape towards the latch) Not from behind the latch like mine was, or was that just what people did for ease of access next time around? I cant seem to find too many pictures but what ive found was opposite to what mine was.

Is there anywhere that would possibly just be able to get a single clip, or should i start runnin to the junkers to try and find a good one? Mine was a complete pain in the arse to get off, so i dont know if it would be easier in a wrecker yard. Any help in my situation would be great. Thanks in advance
lkfldredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
Front Range

Re: Door handle question..

IIRC you can still get the clips at NAPA in the Dorman help rack pre-packaged. Should be near the window cranks.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #3
lkfldredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range View Post
IIRC you can still get the clips at NAPA in the Dorman help rack pre-packaged. Should be near the window cranks.
Ok thanks, i wasnt sure if theyd have it. i dont usually go to Napa, just the local auto parts store that was run by my family. usually get a decent discount so i dont bother with napa unless i have to
Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
Front Range

If there's a spinning parts rack with basic pre-packaged Chevy fix-it parts they might have it. I think those racks are in nearly every parts store.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I've got some pics how they mount in the latch from when I redid mine last summer. In the first pic the rod end is attached, it's almost dead-center in the picture. In the next picture, the clip has been pulled down to release the rod and it is not in the picture.
Attached Images

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
lkfldredneck

Thanks guys, Napa doesnt have them. they just have regular old plastic rod clips that arent the right thing. im heading to Canadian tire to see if they have them.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
Pontiac1976

You want the steel locking one that you can see in the center pic's( @ the bend @ very end of the rod) I be leave there the same from 67-90 GM's that clip you should be on all GM inner door handle rod too.
GM Dealer may still have some in the part counter. E-bay, Bone Yard, Body Supply Shops in your Area, Any of the GM part houses of your choice. Canadian Tire help section had them a few yr back but should be able to order them ( help -Dorman)
LMC # 30-0732 see on line parts listing. If it's not that on show pic of it.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
lkfldredneck

Thanks for the help everyone, Canadian tire in the city seems to not ever want to order anything, i asked them if i could see theyre Dorman book and they said "No we cant order those clips anymore." Well how do you know what the hell im talking about? I didnt even give them a part number.

Anyways, i tossed the old clip out as it was crippled and rusted apart, Dropped one of the nuts inside the door for the new handle trying to get it on, and during fishing the nut out, i found a new clip. looks like someone either dropped one a while ago, or they come stock with spare clips sitting inside the door

So its all back together and working amazingly. Thanks again everyone, if only i knew that there was a clip sitting in the door before driving all over haha
Old 04-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
lkfldredneck

Oh, look what i found. Found at the cities "mom and pop" style store, where everyone there knows my dad. also got valve cover gaskets and door lock cylinders that were in stock. Bet Canadian tire and Part source would have to order from china just to get them.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #10
Pontiac1976

LOL good for you they fit a lot of years GM late 60's to 88 cars/trucks to - 91GM trucks. glad you found some.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
Front Range

I think most of the Mom & Pop style store have gone under around here. Big Box suburbia drives them out of business. They usually could find or order the most oddball hardware you could ask for and actually knew something about it.

Glad you found them.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #12
lkfldredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 View Post
LOL good for you they fit a lot of years GM late 60's to 88 cars/trucks to - 91GM trucks. glad you found some.
Haha yea, my brothers '78 GMC Vandura has the same rod clips, actually came with some when he got it. so if he ever needs them i guess ill overcharge him for one haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range View Post
I think most of the Mom & Pop style store have gone under around here. Big Box suburbia drives them out of business. They usually could find or order the most oddball hardware you could ask for and actually knew something about it.

Glad you found them.
Yea, this business is operated out of Bestbuy auto. they have 4 stores around the area. It was first started in the city, then my dad partnered with them and opened a store in the town we live in and ran that for about 12 years, then sold the share to one of his employees husband. My Grandpa opened the Napa store in town way back, i couldnt even give you a year. so both the parts stores were in my family some how. Definitely glad we still have them around. Carquest has offered to buy them out i dont know how many times but they're staying true.