The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
75C10

73-80 side molding attachment

I was reading the post where Tervill applied the side molding trim solely with adhesive clips. Has anybody else applied side moldings with just adhesive tape on clips? Did the trim fit tight to the body with this method of attachment? Any regrets if you were to do it again? How may clips on the front fenders? Did you reuse factory clips?
I am planning to put the moldings on my 75 and wish to avoid drilling holes.
Thanks
Darwin
75C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
chevysmithz71

Re: 73-80 side molding attachment

Good question, anyone know?
chevysmithz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
75C10

Since my first post I have installed the side moldings and have answered my own questions. I ended up drilling 5 holes in each fender as it was apparent in my case (using new moldings - repro) that they didn't fit flat enough and/or tight enough to be installed with clips and 2 sided tape alone. I then attached the remainder of the moldings using the appropriate clips / screws although I discovered that the clips were unreliable (centre post would spin with self threading nuts were installed), the compression fasteners were not going to work because the "temper" was not right. I eventually resorted to removing all of the plastic clips with 2 sided tape to replace the poor bonding tape with fresh tape and thinner tape to keep the moldings as tight as possible (they came with 0.045" and I used 0.031"?) . The whole process was a bit disappointing. The moldings themselves were okay except for the poor bends on the very front curved pieces where I used original parts as a replacement. Good luck on using just tape. I thought I could and I decided that GM knew what they were doing. I drilled holes in perfect new GM fenders and it was hard. But it looks good now.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
chevysmithz71

Thanks for the response. I'll have a hard time drilling into the fenders too.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:44 PM   #5
gmachinz
Account Suspended

To avoid this in the future I do have a set of NOS side moldings and many extras-enough for a shortbox and a longbox truck-if you decide to go with an NOS set, PM me!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
75C10

Thanks GMachinz,
I doubt very much that the NOS parts would fit any tighter than the repro. I had all original undamaged moldings to use as guides and I don't think they would have fit any better than the repro stuff. I am talking specifically the front fender moldings. The repro front curved segments were unusable because of the poorly curved areas,. GM used many screw type fasteners on the front fenders for a reason and to make them tight and keep them tight, screw fasteners were required.
Perhaps I am wrong.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #7
UKNOWME

My whole kit was installed using only tape retainers and adding some extra screws.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
chevysmithz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
My whole kit was installed using only tape retainers and adding some extra screws.
Just went through your whole thread. You put tons of work into that and it shows. Really clean.
So after all these years the tape attached molding has kept up?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
DEK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
To avoid this in the future I do have a set of NOS side moldings and many extras-enough for a shortbox and a longbox truck-if you decide to go with an NOS set, PM me!
I'm not ready yet, but what would you be looking to get for a complete set of side moldings for long bed? Mine just came back from paint a couple weeks ago but of course that bill was a little more than anticipated so parts are on hold for bit before I can replace all the trim.

UKNOWME...Your truck turned about great! Mine is a 74 that was orange and white from the factory so I kept the original orange but had the white changed to an antique white to match my wheels.
Attached Images

DEK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I sold (1) complete set for a shortbox recently so i have just the set for a longbox now. I'd go $1600 shipped for the set. Hopefully you won't have to drill through fresh paint tho....eek.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevysmithz71 View Post
Just went through your whole thread. You put tons of work into that and it shows. Really clean.
So after all these years the tape attached molding has kept up?
Thanks! I need to pull the passenger door moldings and redo the tape retainers. I think the surface wasn't cleaned properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEK5 View Post

UKNOWME...Your truck turned about great!
Thanks! Yours looks very nice also.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #12
DEK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Hopefully you won't have to drill through fresh paint tho....eek.
luckily the tailgate and doors are original to the truck and the bed is replacement from another truck so no but unfortunately both fenders are reproduction through LMC and I will have to drill them. Glad I kept my old fenders for reference.

when the time comes i'll see if you still have those pieces...I have a complete that are original to the truck but they are so discolored and bent up that I'm not sure it makes sense refurbish them and wouldn't even know where to turn to have it done
DEK5 is offline   Reply With Quote