The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
WannaBe68

Calling All Dana 44 Front Axle Experts

My '69 4x4 Suburban is needing new locking hubs, bearings, spindle nuts and seals on the front axle.
Being new to this stuff - what info do I need from the axle / locking hub to order all of the correct replacement items?
Front axle is a Dana 44 with 44-5CF on it. Here are a few pics -
Attached Images

WannaBe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:17 AM   #2
NoForAnAnswer

Re: Calling All Dana 44 Front Axle Experts

I literally just did this over the last couple weekends. As far as locking hubs go, I went with Warn premium locking hubs. My friend likes mile markers. It comes down to preference. I got all my parts from O'Reillys and 4 wheel parts.
71 K10, 400hp 355, TH350, NP205, 12 bolt w/Eaton posi, Dana 44 w/spartan, 4.11 gears, 32/11.50-15 Cooper STT, full length Hooker headers, Dual Thrush glasspacks, Points triggered Crane Cams ignition box, Holley 670 street avenger, Edelbrock performer manifold
NoForAnAnswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

As long as everything is original, you should be able to simply give vehicle description and they'll be able to go with that, if their listings are correct. If they have a hard time getting the right parts, taking your old ones in for them to get numbers from/measure is next.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBe68 View Post
My '69 4x4 Suburban is needing new locking hubs, bearings, spindle nuts and seals on the front axle.
Being new to this stuff - what info do I need from the axle / locking hub to order all of the correct replacement items?
Heres the deal on this. I just did this a few weeks ago. I gave them the year make and model of the vehicle and it came back as a 10 bolt. It was a dana 44. Also. Once we chose dana 44 the bearings that they gave me were off. By 1 number. Im meaning the bearing race would fit in, but JUUUSSSTT a bit to tight. The best thing to do is take the bearings off, and give them the numbers on the back of the bearing, it will save you a literal f-ton of time. You will also know that its correct. I can answer any question on that diff that you have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoForAnAnswer View Post
I literally just did this over the last couple weekends. As far as locking hubs go, I went with Warn premium locking hubs. My friend likes mile markers. It comes down to preference. I got all my parts from O'Reillys and 4 wheel parts.
I did this just recently also.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:

and sold.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
WannaBe68

Thanks fellas'...
While searching for specific info, I stumbled onto a Spicer Dana 44 pdf info packet that has everything in it!
The entire pdf can be viewed here: http://tinyurl.com/jptmkjy
Or you can search via - "Dana-44_1967-1978.pdf"

Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
outfield

WARN hubs are P/N 20990 for the premiums. 9790 for the standard versions.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #8
outfield

The hubs on your truck now look like the Warn standard hubs. If these are working and you want to freshen them up, we have the dial decal that says WARN on it, and I could send you a new set of screws. send me a PM.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
WARN hubs are P/N 20990 for the premiums. 9790 for the standard versions.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #9
WannaBe68

Thanks guys!
After some more research found out what exactly my Dana 44 front axle was. Then I decided to go ahead and get the whole deal. New WARN 20990 hubs, new inner, outer bearings and new races (Timken sets 37 and 45), new spindle nuts, new seals and while I'm in there go ahead and do new spindle seals and bearings as well.
First time to do this kind-of work, so a bit nervous and excited!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Thanks guys!
After some more research found out what exactly my Dana 44 front axle was. Then I decided to go ahead and get the whole deal. New WARN 20990 hubs, new inner, outer bearings and new races (Timken sets 37 and 45), new spindle nuts, new seals and while I'm in there go ahead and do new spindle seals and bearings as well.
First time to do this kind-of work, so a bit nervous and excited!
Inner axle tube seals why you are at it. Also, when you pull the old bearings out, please match the numbers.

and sold.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #11
WannaBe68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Inner axle tube seals why you are at it. Also, when you pull the old bearings out, please match the numbers.
I'm still learning all this stuff! The inner axle tube seal you mention - I think that is part of the Spindle seal kit I bought. This kit comes with seals and new needle bearings for the inside of the spindle that the front axle shaft goes through. Is that right?

Match the numbers of the old bearings once I pull them out? Will do, but what am I looking for? Except for the disc brakes everything bumper to bumper, according to the old guy I bought it from, is "supposed to" be original.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
I'm still learning all this stuff! The inner axle tube seal you mention - I think that is part of the Spindle seal kit I bought. This kit comes with seals and new needle bearings for the inside of the spindle that the front axle shaft goes through. Is that right?

Match the numbers of the old bearings once I pull them out? Will do, but what am I looking for? Except for the disc brakes everything bumper to bumper, according to the old guy I bought it from, is "supposed to" be original.
Original does not matter. Mine was also. Issue is, chevy did weird things back then... As you pull the bearings.. just keep them and then once you cross the numbers on the back and the numbers match, toss the old ones.
Those bearings you are talking about are spindle bearings. Those are a BITCCCCHHHH to get out of the spindle. If they are in good shape, just clean/regrease and use them.
these.

As for the axle tubes.. If you are pulling the diff, replace those. Watch youtube, really easy to remove and reinstall.
They look like this.

and sold.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #13
WannaBe68

Ahh got it.
I'm not pulling the diff though...just doing bearings a seal from the knuckle out.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:30 AM   #14
60sIron

Always try and have the old parts or numbers. By this time they're no guarantees as to what's been done. Also I believe 69 was a change over year. My 69 K20 has a closed knuckle 44. 69's built later had open knuckle 44's but still drum brakes. Also spend some time finding a "real" parts guy. He or she will become your best resource....... The parts store really doesn't matter as they all can get anything if its made. A "real" parts guy will love the challenge of finding the right stuff as a lot of times it's not in the computer.......
60sIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #15
WannaBe68

Thanks 60sIron! Don't really know any "real" parts guy, but now that I'm diving into the world of DIY mechanics - I think I'll try to find one!

Maybe I should start a new thread for this question, but - - I decided to replace the gaskets on the front and rear diff covers and was wondering what is the "best" oil to use in the front and rear diff housing?