The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
SeventyOne

The "In over my head" build thread

A little story to start things off...

I always liked the look of these 4x4 blazers and when I finally decided it was time to buy one I jumped in and bought the first one I saw.......not too smart in the long run

Had all sorts of issues once I started to tinker with it and see what shape it was really in. Started checking out craigslist for parts and I was so mad at myself for missing a cheaply priced cherry set of seats that I told myself "you need to keep checking in case other deals pop up".

What ended up happening just two days later was a whole blazer for sale popped up with NONE of the issues my current blazer had (and for almost half the price of the first blazer). My wife told me I was crazy and thought going to look at it was making the same mistake all over again.

Went and checked it out and bought it in Oct. '08....I couldn't help myself . Drove the 100 miles home like a champ! Drove it awhile like that and this past July I started the tear down.

The obligatory before pictures
Name:  IMG_2627.JPG
Views: 5601
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2635.JPG
Views: 5755
Size:  77.3 KB

Here is where the truck was as of sunday.
Name:  IMG_4081.JPG
Views: 5474
Size:  85.5 KB
Name:  IMG_4082.JPG
Views: 5537
Size:  85.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4083.JPG
Views: 5485
Size:  86.5 KB

Toughest part was getting a few of the body bolts to separate since the were rust-fused together - thanks to my brother for figuring out how to pop those loose. Once it was free my crew of ten "Blazer slaves" (8 lifters, 1 frame roller-outer, and 1 dolly roller-inner) helped with the heavy lifting

Big thanks to Classic383 for the inspiration and dimensions for the dolly to get me here.

Last edited by SeventyOne; 02-05-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

Along the way, in keeping with the "keep checking for good deals", I found a new set of 37" MTRs for sale with free shipping on ebay for $1000. Seeing as how I wanted 37s and a set of 4 would normally cost me 1300+ I jumped all over it!

Name:  IMG_4071.JPG
Views: 5431
Size:  84.0 KB
Name:  IMG_4072.JPG
Views: 5446
Size:  87.2 KB

Plans also include a 383, 6-7" lift to clear the tires, 700r4, 14bolt with disc brakes, and an 8 lug swap up front.

Well that's about it for now - will get back out there this weekend to keep the progress moving...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

That looks like a great start, keep the progress up. Along with pics, lol. Nice score on the rubber. Whats the plan for body color and wheels? All that sheet metal looks sweet btw, pretty rust free lookin'.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
lks dcvn

Always nice to begin with a decent starting point...keep up updated with pix and progress - it will help with motivation - ask me how I know -
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
That looks like a great start, keep the progress up. Along with pics, lol. Nice score on the rubber. Whats the plan for body color and wheels? All that sheet metal looks sweet btw, pretty rust free lookin'.
Thinking of painting it a charcoal grey and painting the top black. Just got wheels yesterday...they look cool (black with a machined metal/aluminum surface) but I just hope they don't look too modern for the body style. Might have to shove it in one of the tires and hold it against the body for a sneak peak. Anyways the grey, black, chrome should look good together.

Previous owner replaced the rocker panels and patched the front quaters. Torsion boxes are 90% solid. Not sure If I will patch those or replace the entire box - is there a problem with just cutting out the badly rusted parts?

There is minor rust on the floor pan but kinda hate to see what may be underneath. I've been looking all the sheetmetal/rust repair threads I can on this site and its given me some confidence that I can do it with some patience and luck

Quote:
keep up updated with pix and progress - it will help with motivation
Honestly right after making this build thread I felt this urge to keep it up like it was motivating me - pretty cool!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Sounds like a great project - major steal on those MTR's. Was that an ebay vendor or just a private seller?
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Sounds like a great project - major steal on those MTR's. Was that an ebay vendor or just a private seller?
I think he was a vendor as he had other auctions like it posted up - those didn't have free shipping for whatever reason. Guess I just got lucky....
Old 02-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Big J

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Previous owner replaced the rocker panels and patched the front quaters. Torsion boxes are 90% solid. Not sure If I will patch those or replace the entire box - is there a problem with just cutting out the badly rusted parts?

There is minor rust on the floor pan but kinda hate to see what may be underneath. I've been looking all the sheetmetal/rust repair threads I can on this site and its given me some confidence that I can do it with some patience and luck

Honestly right after making this build thread I felt this urge to keep it up like it was motivating me - pretty cool!
Your color combo sounds cool. It took me actually shooting the paint to commit to a color, lol.

Theres not a problem at all with patching the rocker boxes. I did. A PO had cut a portion of the bottom out on both sides to hang some steps, lol. To each his own I guess. If the rust really is minor as in surface rust then I'd leave well enough alone and use some rust inhibitor on like Por15. You should be able to see the underside pretty well if your going to cut out and patch the rocker boxes. I too have learned that a build thread helps keep ya going. Keep up the work. And yes you may as well take a couple pics of those new wheels and toss'em on here for all to see.

My Build
Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
burbguy

That looks like a good start, keep us posted with alot of pics..!! It keeps me motivated on my project, when I see progress on everybody elses..!! Hey seventyone, I'm local bay area also, maybe one day I could stop by and get to see first hand how your build is coming along...?

Last edited by burbguy; 02-06-2010 at 01:11 AM.
burbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #10
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Nice looking project!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #11
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
Your color combo sounds cool. It took me actually shooting the paint to commit to a color, lol.

Theres not a problem at all with patching the rocker boxes. I did. A PO had cut a portion of the bottom out on both sides to hang some steps, lol. To each his own I guess. If the rust really is minor as in surface rust then I'd leave well enough alone and use some rust inhibitor on like Por15. You should be able to see the underside pretty well if your going to cut out and patch the rocker boxes. I too have learned that a build thread helps keep ya going. Keep up the work. And yes you may as well take a couple pics of those new wheels and toss'em on here for all to see.
^^^What he said, I agree, except the part of commiting to a paint color, changed my mind , again

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 02-06-2010 at 01:43 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #12
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbguy View Post
That looks like a good start, keep us posted with alot of pics..!! It keeps me motivated on my project, when I see progress on everybody elses..!! Hey seventyone, I'm local bay area also, maybe one day I could stop by and get to see first hand how your build is coming along...?
Yea it would be cool to meet some of the local 67-72 guys - I know there are quite a few other locals but haven't met any yet.

Ill try to get pics up this weekend of the wheels and whatever other progress I make.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
1sik52
Account Suspended

another one to watch!!
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
duceducenine

70-1 whats up!
what size are those stock tires?
the ones on the k5 now.....
im local about 40 minutes from you....
need some help, info, ideas.....---duceduce9---
duceducenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceducenine View Post
70-1 whats up!
what size are those stock tires?
the ones on the k5 now.....
im local about 40 minutes from you....
need some help, info, ideas.....---duceduce9---
PO had 33" tires on the stock suspension. Only rubbed going to full lock and only just barely.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #16
SeventyOne

Update 2.7.10

Got a few hours in the garage Sat and Sun and managed to make a dent in the the frame stripping process.

Transfer case came out with relative ease once the drive shafts were removed. Notice the stock orange color.
Name:  IMG_4087.JPG
Views: 5223
Size:  87.2 KB

Decided to remove the transmission while I was at it
Name:  IMG_4088.JPG
Views: 5283
Size:  86.2 KB

Here today's parts pile
Name:  IMG_4090.JPG
Views: 5422
Size:  83.4 KB

My brother is getting a free engine stand from his high school auto shop, and we will be borrowing a cherry picker soon to remove the engine. Then it's on to axles, and frame clean up/paint.

Also here are the wheels that I chose and a shot of the wheels that are on the truck now. I am not crazy about the center caps but I think the new ones have similar styling while being more modern and rugged which should go well with the lift and tires. Please let's hear your opinions.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #17
OARNGESI

Really clean looking blazer
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #18
SeventyOne

Mini update

Got a barely used engine stand and 4 2-ton jack stands for cheap from a guy selling of stuff he didn't use anymore. Going to see if I can source a used cherry picker or borrow one tomorrow and get the engine out. Will also try to remove the axles and get the gas tank out. Will post up pics later in the weekend.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
Big J

Those wheels will look great. Check your local tool supply store for your cherry picker. I picked mine up on sale at Bargain Supply in Louisville KY for 125.00 on sale, the legs fold up too. Its a nice heavy one, had no problems picking up the engine or tub.

My Build
Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
Otsa580
I Love Rusty Chevys

Rims look good. They will look even better on the 37's!
Otsa580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #21
SeventyOne

More Progress...

Didn't get quite as far as I wanted to but nevertheless I made some headway getting down to a bare frame...

Gas tank lines for reference
Name:  IMG_4093.JPG
Views: 5037
Size:  87.4 KB

Previous owner welded in a ton of steel for a custom hitch that didn't allow me to drop the gas tank so out it came....
Name:  IMG_4097.JPG
Views: 5028
Size:  86.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4099.jpg
Views: 4960
Size:  88.7 KB

Gas tank out
Name:  IMG_4103.JPG
Views: 5002
Size:  86.1 KB
Anyone know how to dispose of gas? Maybe I can just put "old gas" for free on craigslist and someone will take it?

Tires mounted and balanced
Name:  IMG_4105.jpg
Views: 5181
Size:  85.2 KB

Try to get a cherry picker this next week sometime and once the engine is out I can remove the axles and suspension.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
daddys72jimmy

maann that tire and wheel combo looks kick ass. keep up the work and pics
Old 02-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #23
Blazer Dude

I like those wheels. the only thing is there 8 lug not 6..are you planing on changing it to 8 lug?
Blazer Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #24
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer Dude View Post
I like those wheels. the only thing is there 8 lug not 6..are you planing on changing it to 8 lug?
14 bolt going in the rear and will do a swap on the Dana 44 to make it 8 lug.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #25
Blazer Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
14 bolt going in the rear and will do a swap on the Dana 44 to make it 8 lug.
oh ok cool.
Blazer Dude is offline   Reply With Quote