The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #1
68is4me

GGRRRR somtimes I hate having nice things

I do everything that i possibly can to avoid door dings, dents and scrapes in the parking lot. I parked as far away as I could, parked were nobody else does with open spots on both sides and this still happens.

Worst part is just had it painted last fall in a tricoat color with all original fenders. And the lady that backed into me as I was in my parking spot says" I am so sorry I didn't even hear my back up alarms going off". Really whats wrong with your mirrors i said.

Now the search begins to find a good fender in MN.
Attached Images

06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: GGRRRR somtimes I hate having nice things

Man, that stinks! I drove beaters for many years for that reason. My current econobox got hit and run to the tune of $1k+ damage before it even got its first oil change. You should be able to find a fender, and a good painter can match it to the rest of the truck. Good luck with it

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
Troy Sr

The biggest problem is fighting with her insurance co. they're only used to Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's and don't want to pay for custom work!!!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
kwmech

About 20 years ago I had a sweet short bed I had restored. Short step, big block, t400, ps, pb, tach dash, lowered 2'' all around, big brakes so it would stop. Had it repainted black with baby blue striping and lettering. Just like you, I went out of my way to park it where it wouldn't get dinged. Parked it on the far edge of the parking lot. Every time I would come out, there would be a car next to it with 20-30 open spots around it. The truck was a friggn' ding magnet. More often than not it was a huge car like a caddy or something that has the 200+ pound doors on it. Never understood the mentality why someone would intentionally park right next to it with all the other spots available. Truck was making me crazy...I ended up selling it.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

I feel your pain. I got tagged several months back. 16 year old no driver's license, no insurance. Headed for paint on Tuesday!
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
MySons68C20

I applaud the fact you actually drive it! I've only put a 100 miles on mine and haven't left it anywhere for more than 5 minutes. I know this isn't politically correct but I'm thinking of double parking in the handicap spots Good luck on getting your repairs done asap so you can get back to driving!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Man, that sucks! that's a damn nice looking truck and I sure hope you don't end up in the situation suggested above, where the insurance doesn't want to pay for custom work.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
54blackhornet

You almost have to expect that kind of behavior today. It used to be older folks that can’t see properly anymore and still continue to drive. But now a big percentage just don’t give a crap, and park right next to you just to piss you off.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:56 PM   #9
Daaaanz67

Sucks!!!!!
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #10
Barnfind46

Just bought stuff to do a complete repaint. Might need to rethink that. But seriously, People are so self centered these days that they do things with out considering how it affects others. Then there are the jerks that can't stand someone having something nice. I feel your pain! I have done paint & body for over 30 years and if my truck gets hit I will be upset but I can do the repair my self. If I had to pay someone the labor I probably would leave mine a beater.Don't give in to her insurance co. Get three bids from good shops. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Just like you, I went out of my way to park it where it wouldn't get dinged. Parked it on the far edge of the parking lot. Every time I would come out, there would be a car next to it with 20-30 open spots around it. The truck was a friggn' ding magnet. More often than not it was a huge car like a caddy or something that has the 200+ pound doors on it. Never understood the mentality why someone would intentionally park right next to it with all the other spots available.
I hate door dings and don’t mind walking so I generally park away from others as well, even with beaters. I’d smile when coming out and seeing another nice vehicle parked with a space in between us as you can see the consideration and their goal of avoiding dings too.

But then there’s always the one that parks right next to you, out in the middle of nowhere with plenty of other options to choose from. Infuriating especially when you’re sure that ding is new. I’m not saying you should carry a ball peen hammer and that a door ding for a door ding is right, but I understand.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:22 PM   #12
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
I hate door dings and don’t mind walking so I generally park away from others as well, even with beaters. I’d smile when coming out and seeing another nice vehicle parked with a space in between us as you can see the consideration and their goal of avoiding dings too.

But then there’s always the one that parks right next to you, out in the middle of nowhere with plenty of other options to choose from. Infuriating especially when you’re sure that ding is new. I’m not saying you should carry a ball peen hammer and that a door ding for a door ding is right, but I understand.
Yea that’s the one that blows my gasket , your parked where no one else will because they have to walk . But sure as hell some A - wipe finds you and parks right next to you ! Why ?
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #13
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68is4me View Post
And the lady that backed into me as I was in my parking spot says" I am so sorry I didn't even hear my back up alarms going off". Really whats wrong with your mirrors i said.
All the technology in the world won’t keep idiots from getting in accidents. More technology just makes them bigger, more clueless idiots and technology can’t keep pace with idiocracy.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:06 PM   #14
Rooster73

I hate that for you, my last truck was really nice, I was so nervous driving it I came to the realization that that truck owned me, I didn't own it. Most of the close calls were from people in 50k SUVs, they didn't care, they get another new one every couple years. Would love to take, pry their I phone out of their hands and run over it with my 50 year old iron.
Rooster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:26 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

These jokers on their cell phones used to grind my gears. Well, they still do, but I'm retired now. I always thought about making an electromagnetic pulse gun to toast their phone and vehicle electronics, but it's hard to focus something like that and make sure you only toast their stuff. It'd be sweet to watch their car roll to a stop while they're shaking their phone, which now rattles like a baby rattle.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #16
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
You almost have to expect that kind of behavior today. It used to be older folks that can’t see properly anymore and still continue to drive. But now a big percentage just don’t give a crap, and park right next to you just to piss you off.
I'm afraid this is true; plus folks only halfway paying attention because they are on their phone, eating or whatever.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
Peanut74

That sucks. My wife scares the crap out of me when she backs up. All she does is look at the backup camera screen and floors it. Me, I'm old school and use the mirrors and go slow to make sure I don't hit anything.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #18
72c20customcamper

That sucks but the fender is repairable. I've fixed a lot worse in my days at the body shop.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #19
lousyflyer

Oddly enough, I just went through a similar situation with a 1988 Toyota.
Here's what's going to happen now if the other driver has coverage with State Farm Insurance: You will be handed over to a claims adjuster that utilizes an automatic damage assessment program. The truck will be assessed to determine its current value and give them a number to shoot for to declare your beautiful truck to be a total loss so they dont have to fix it. To relieve them from any future liability for your vehicle, they will buy it and then declare it salvage before returning to you with a salvage title.
You can offer to settle for less money, but they will refuse. To get any money at all for your bent fender you will have to sell them a totaled vehicle and take it back as scrap metal.
If this seems outrageous, then you dont know the monster that insurance has become. It's their deal, or no deal at all. And the state insurance commissioners office will back them 100%

Now I can get back to shouting at the neighborhood kids that ride their bicycles through my yard.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Invest on a few traffic cones. Create a zone! I think those people who park next to you when you park way back on the lot do that so they know at least one side of their vehicle is safe

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #21
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post
Now I can get back to shouting at the neighborhood kids that ride their bicycles through my yard.
We have to pick our battles don't we!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #22
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
The biggest problem is fighting with her insurance co. they're only used to Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's and don't want to pay for custom work!!!

Isn’t it ironic how if you need to buy a truck or parts, they’re worth SO much, but when it comes to cases like yours (having to deal with a lame brained driver that doesn’t want to accept responsibility), our trucks are “a 50 year old vehicle of no worth”.
Insurance is such a racket
Man, i hope you get a fair settlement.
If they continue to be AHs about it, have your insurance company go after theirs.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #23
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post
Oddly enough, I just went through a similar situation with a 1988 Toyota.
Here's what's going to happen now if the other driver has coverage with State Farm Insurance: You will be handed over to a claims adjuster that utilizes an automatic damage assessment program. The truck will be assessed to determine its current value and give them a number to shoot for to declare your beautiful truck to be a total loss so they dont have to fix it. To relieve them from any future liability for your vehicle, they will buy it and then declare it salvage before returning to you with a salvage title.
You can offer to settle for less money, but they will refuse. To get any money at all for your bent fender you will have to sell them a totaled vehicle and take it back as scrap metal.
If this seems outrageous, then you dont know the monster that insurance has become. It's their deal, or no deal at all. And the state insurance commissioners office will back them 100%

I’m not so sure that State Farm will say his truck is total and slap a salvage title on the truck. I think there would have to be a safety issue for them to do a salvage title. I recently got hail damage on my 99 Silverado. The adjuster from State Farm came out and spent a good 30 minutes looking it over. His office called me the next day and told me they would pay a certain amount and I keep the truck or pay me $800 more and they take the truck. I had a check three days after the guy came out. The title doesn’t change.

OP, that sure does stink about your truck. I hope they take care of you.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #24
67C10GS

This is the reason I find a planter to park next to, usually at the very end of the row. Guaranteed one side is safe at least.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #25
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Man that sucks. I know how it is parking away from everyone. The whole lot is empty where you park. Come out of the store 15 minutes later and there’s that one ass hat who parks next to you so close you can hardly get a door open. Happens four out of five times that I drive my Camaro I swear.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote