The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Shanehenrymusic

Hooking up Steering in 1955-59 Truck With Firebird Clip

Hey Guys -

I have a question about hooking up the steering linkage. My truck is subframed with a 78 trans-am/Firebird front clip. I have a tilt steering column out of a 1979 chevy van that I am wanting to hook up.. I have it currently mocked up with the original mounting brackets for inside, however I'm not sure this is going to work.. I will also need a mount for the floorboard to secure it. If anyone has used one of these Van columns in a 55-59 I would appreciate pics and info..Here's some pictures. thanks so much!
-Shane
Attached Images

Shanehenrymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
NW Task Force

Re: Hooking up Steering in 1955-59 Truck With Firebird Clip

I ended up cutting off the lower column shaft and installing a "bearing saver" on the lower part of the stock column tube. This worked out well. I also used parts & pieces bought from a swap meet to make my universal joint shaft to the steering box. The double U-joint used was from a Chevy/GMC Astro/Safari van. I also bought a univeral firewall mount pivoting bearing to stabilize the lower steering shaft on the camaro clip. Hope these ideas help. BTW: My front clip is a 77' Camaro.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Shanehenrymusic

Thanks so much. Are you using the original steering column?
Shanehenrymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
mknittle

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search...rst_answer=145

there are 12 pages of parts here more if you do a search.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Stepside Jim

Shanehenrymusic, I just wanted to show one other idea. I don't know the modifications you're making on the rest of the truck such as brakes and accelerator pedal..... but.

I also went with a tilt wheel column, not sure of the exact vehicle it's out of, other than it's a GM. I went ahead and put it through the firewall up high where there is a bend in the floor board. My thought was when I carpeted the floor, the steering column is where the carpet will end, so less hassle later.

I understand my subframe is from an el-camino, yet, looks close to yours. I went straight to the steering box from the column with after market joints and "D" shape rod.

I went the high route also because I have a big block to work around, going this way gave me good clearance with the rear 2 cylinders.
Just another idea to kick around..

Last edited by Stepside Jim; 12-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
mygirlz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
I ended up cutting off the lower column shaft and installing a "bearing saver" on the lower part of the stock column tube. This worked out well. I also used parts & pieces bought from a swap meet to make my universal joint shaft to the steering box. The double U-joint used was from a Chevy/GMC Astro/Safari van. I also bought a univeral firewall mount pivoting bearing to stabilize the lower steering shaft on the camaro clip. Hope these ideas help. BTW: My front clip is a 77' Camaro.
X2 I picked up the same setup from an Astro van $35 from wrecking yard. Went to parts store for lower bearing and a flange bearing. Just need to fab the bracket to hold the flange bearing.
BTW thanks again NW Taskforce
mygirlz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
NW Task Force

No problem! I am running the stock steering column & steering wheel. I like the looks of the original interior. Years ago I had plans to install a camaro tilt column, but now I am more into originality more than anything. I'm glad to share my ideas and hope that I can help others on the forum.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
mr48chev

A couple of things on yours ShaneHenrymusic, unless it is and optical illusion it looks like the end of the steering shaft on the column is lower than the spot on the crossmember where the other piece of the shaft has to cross over it. Especially when you compare it to NWTaskforce's column. The U joint at the bottom of thee shaft on his is about as low as you can go and still clear the crossmember without getting a bind in the steering.

One thing you could do is shorten the shaft up so that the splines just clear the bearing on the end of the column tube. You should be able to do that by taking the column apart and collapsing the shaft and adjusting it to the right length and repining or tack welding it back together. The shaft should be a two piece shaft made to collapse in case of an accident. You could also shorten the tube and shift tube up a couple of inches if it would help things clear. That would give you a straighter shot at the steering box from the end of the shaft.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
NW Task Force

I did chop down the column tube on mine a little. I am a very tall person (6'4") and don't like how the stock steering wheel pushes up into my body while sitting. I brought the whole steering wheel closer to the dash by doing this.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
mygirlz55

I'm running the stock 55 column and shaft on mine also. I shortened up the whole thing around 3" to put it where it seemed comfortable when sitting behind the wheel.
mygirlz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirlz55 View Post
I'm running the stock 55 column and shaft on mine also. I shortened up the whole thing around 3" to put it where it seemed comfortable when sitting behind the wheel.
Glad it worked out for you!