The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #26
silvereagle07

Re: My '81 Build... Enjoy!!

Did you make those C nothces or cut them off of another truck?

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

made them in my shop floor, whoops with a homemade jig

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap
East Ok meet East Ok date

Tony

Last edited by wicked_sky_gazer; 02-19-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: forgot something
wicked_sky_gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #28
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

im pretty sure it is a silverado, but i thought they had a cargo light from factory, i may be wrong tho.

ur trucks lookin good, comin along great
2006 Chevy Cobalt-college car, staying stock

Whatever can't get fixed with a hammer, a roll of duct tape, a clothes hanger, a tube of glue, and a case of beer, can wait until tomorrow.

Last edited by jrsmith_2010; 02-19-2009 at 07:03 PM.
jrsmith_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #29
badblu97
Double 6's

looking good! Cant wait to see the front end come along. Are you thinking of Z-ing or doing a front crossmember?
badblu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Jr... No cargo but does have a dome light inside I figured $100 either way was a steal...
Bad Blu... Nope front is done with lowering anyway I actually ended up an inch and a half lower then I planned but I love the turn out... So no z or member..

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap

Tony
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #31
badblu97
Double 6's

Well, I dont know what kinda look you are going for, but mine was bagged and drop spindles, and did the same thing with CA touching. I ended up tearing it all down again and Z-ing it to get it to lay completely out. Just some food for thought while you have it down this far. Have you considered an engine driven compressor? they will give you plenty of air with no electricity draw, but I dont know why you want to seperate air sources, so I dont know! Good luck and I will be following your build!
badblu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #32
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblu97 View Post
Well, I dont know what kinda look you are going for, but mine was bagged and drop spindles, and did the same thing with CA touching. I ended up tearing it all down again and Z-ing it to get it to lay completely out. Just some food for thought while you have it down this far. Have you considered an engine driven compressor? they will give you plenty of air with no electricity draw, but I dont know why you want to seperate air sources, so I dont know! Good luck and I will be following your build!
Yeah I have considerd all of the above I'm actually lower then intended already ... I looked at the engine driven compressors but I Don't want any los of power off the motor I'm building I'd rather just build a rediculous electical system... I'm putting two stand alone systems cause Ill be using one for the truck and one for a trailer i'm building after I finish the truck... The trailer is full air also and I don't want to have to worry about fillng it's system...it will esentially piggyback off the truck

Tony
Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #33
ca180
tryin to get laid

Owasso huh? Man, you're just up the street from me! Looks like you're making some good progress. Much more than me...
ca180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #34
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca180 View Post
Owasso huh? Man, you're just up the street from me! Looks like you're making some good progress. Much more than me...
im actuallly just north of Owasso in limestone

Tony
Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #35
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

You might want to throw one of these on that bridge/notch before you go any further.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #36
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Yeah I actually sat and stared/measured and checked that for about 3 hours after I built it to try and figure it out, and loe and behold it’s the way its sitting. I had the rear leaf brackets connected at the time to located the axle, all my measurements are spot on and it’s perfectly square from any way I check it. Then I put the axle back under it to double check my alignment on the notch again and I think the axle just wasn’t in strait, cause as soon as I removed the pins that were holding it in place it snapped back proper again…. Sorry guys that is just a bad pic of it ill try and get some better ones that actually show it as it is.

Tony
Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #37
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Look at your bridge bars in relation to each other, and the bridge bars in relation to the rear crossmember....

Whenever I start welding on the frame, I set the whole thing on jackstands, then level the frame before anything else. Just my $.02....

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #38
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Look at your bridge bars in relation to each other, and the bridge bars in relation to the rear crossmember....

Whenever I start welding on the frame, I set the whole thing on jackstands, then level the frame before anything else. Just my $.02....
No I understand exactly what you are saying, and i tool all the necessary mesures to ensure it was strait its position in this pic is in part an optical illusion, along with what fallows.....

this pic illustrates the only way my axle is connected to the frame when the pic was taken. Which is from the rear leaf hangers…. Now if the axle rotates around axis A then the rear of the frame has no choice but to twist around axis B… when I took the pic the axle was not perpendicular to the frame so naturally the frame had no choice but to flex, but as soon as I manually make it perpendicular then the frame is strait, or if I pull the axle out all together it is also strait.

Tony
Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #39
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Ok guys sorry for the delay its been really hectic around here. Got a lil update, and some bad news, ill try and get some photos soon.

UPDATE: I went back and pulled the axle out from under the chassis and it did have a very slight twist to it but it wasn’t as bad as near as bad as the pic showed it to be, so I guess you could say Check and I both had a valid argument on the subject, as it untwisted a lot when I pulled the axle, but still was slightly off. After taking care of that I went ahead and got the frame where the notch meets it reinforced and braced up with a partial box.

THE BAD NEWS: It will probably be a while before I make anymore major progress on the truck as I have taken about a 50% pay cut here at work and cannot at all afford to be doing any work on it right now. I’m sorry guys, I’m really bummed about this, but I have to make sure things are inline to save my house and my bike, and I fear that I wont have the time while working the second job to do much. Luckily for me the second job is a parts house so that will help out some when it comes time to get parts again. The truck is not going anywhere as it’s paid off. But I can assure you all that you will be FIRST to know when the project is back online.

Tony
Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #40
JohnC

The project is looking good. Bummer to hear about the job though. Hope all works out.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #41
jchav62
1962 C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
The project is looking good. Bummer to hear about the job though. Hope all works out.
x2... Sorry to hear that...
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #42
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

hey everyone it's been a wile, and again I bring bad news, so the economy again reared it ugly head and I lost my job. So it'll be even longer before I can finish my truck I just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgot about y'all later

Tony
Old 12-19-2009, 12:16 AM   #43
mcbassin
Still Learning

Sorry to hear about you losing your job. If you don't mind, what kind of work do you do? I know a few folks out in the Tulsa area and don't mind asking around if there is any openings.

BTW,
I like the project. It looks like you are very resourceful with your build. Keep the faith and try not to sell if you can avoid it.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #44
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Mcbassin pm sent, Thanks man, I'm doin my damndest to hold onto my truck but the more and more time goes by I dunno if I'll be able to but I really appreciate everyones support from here I'll keep y'all posted

Tony