The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #51
GAc10boy

Re: "Oaky" Farm Fresh '73 Short Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Bleeding the brakes wont be a problem for you ,I have faith in you. I have to do some brake work on mine very soon ,front brake lines and possibly another new caliper .I miss my other trucks ,cant seem to get motivated on this one plus its my daily driver.
I'm hoping it all goes smoothly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I added you to my low buck build thread. Thanks again.
Really appreciate that! And cool thread. Didn't know it was out there.

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #52
rusty76

Thanks. Well worth the time to go through it. Thanks for checking it out.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #53
GAc10boy

Put new rotors, pads, calipers, etc in the front and TRIED to rebuild the drum brakes in the rear this weekend. Even with the proper tool, I couldn't get the rear hoses loose from the leaky wheel cylinders to change them so I only rebuilt one as best I could. Now it's sticking. ugh! Then i couldn't get the front hoses off either and discovered the driver's hose is stopped up and no fluid is getting to the caliper. Guess that explains the hard pull to the right when braking.

And to top it all off, i tried replacing the master cylinder and it appears the pedal push rod is built on to the original MC so I decided not to tackle that just yet (after i already bench bled the new MC, of course). Then once I buttoned up the front, i took it for a test drive and realized the back drum I tried rebuilding is grabbing and the calipers are hitting the wheels in the front (i think). Even though they are OEM spec stuff. Needless to say, I had had enough and decided I'd tackle another day.

All that to say, it was 2 steps forward, one step back this weekend. Not sure what I'm going to do to address it all yet but will soon enough i guess.

Here's a pic of the new stuff on the front. It's all Duralast, AutoZone MIC stuff.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #54
flashed

Looking good out in front ,Robbie ,I put a power brake booster off a 75 truck on mine and found that I needed all the parts down to the pedal so I had to go rob more parts off that truck.I wish now that I had got the whole truck ,it was cheap.It had a nice tilt column and everything needed to convert mine over to an automatic and it all got crushed .I have been driving the convertible this week as I have not been able to get to my brake project on the 74 .Maybe someday I can drive one of the 72 trucks again but this summer dont look too likely.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #55
rusty76

Brakes can be a bear. Probably easier to replace it all than fool around with the old stuff. Old brake hoses are always a pain. Old rubber hoses can give a lot of trouble. On my ole truck the driver side caliper would stick. Thought it was the caliper and replaced it. Then found out it was the hose instead. Such a pain. It took more than just replacing the hoses. I had to cut the hose at the connection carefully then take it all apart. There went a weekend....grr. You'll get it fixed in no time.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #56
nlped

I've been through this before too. I've gotten to the point now that when I rebuild/replace all the brakes, I buy a complete hardline kit from InlineTube.com also. It makes for a clear conscience when everything on the brake system is new. There not to pricey, and pretty simple to replace.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #57
GAc10boy

Quote:
Looking good out in front ,Robbie ,I put a power brake booster off a 75 truck on mine and found that I needed all the parts down to the pedal so I had to go rob more parts off that truck.I wish now that I had got the whole truck ,it was cheap.It had a nice tilt column and everything needed to convert mine over to an automatic and it all got crushed .I have been driving the convertible this week as I have not been able to get to my brake project on the 74 .Maybe someday I can drive one of the 72 trucks again but this summer dont look too likely.
Man, it sounds like should have. Are both the 72s back in the shop? Glad that you have the Malibu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Brakes can be a bear. Probably easier to replace it all than fool around with the old stuff. Old brake hoses are always a pain. Old rubber hoses can give a lot of trouble. On my ole truck the driver side caliper would stick. Thought it was the caliper and replaced it. Then found out it was the hose instead. Such a pain. It took more than just replacing the hoses. I had to cut the hose at the connection carefully then take it all apart. There went a weekend....grr. You'll get it fixed in no time.
No kidding! I thought I was doing right by buying most of it up front. It's just that some of the old stuff doesn't want to budge. I'll get it all sorted out and get the rest of the new stuff on soon. Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
I've been through this before too. I've gotten to the point now that when I rebuild/replace all the brakes, I buy a complete hardline kit from InlineTube.com also. It makes for a clear conscience when everything on the brake system is new. There not to pricey, and pretty simple to replace.
I need to look at the hard line kit from inlinetube.com. I haven't had good luck with their fuel kits in the past but now that I know a little more about bending line, it would probably go a lot smoother with their brake line kits.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #58
flashed

Robbie ,the pretty truck is back up there for them to try and figure out why it keeps going thru water pumps ,I have not gotten to enjoy it at all this summer and the 1 ton is there for a make over if they ever get to it .I sure do miss them .
Old 07-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #59
GAc10boy

Quote:
Robbie ,the pretty truck is back up there for them to try and figure out why it keeps going thru water pumps ,I have not gotten to enjoy it at all this summer and the 1 ton is there for a make over if they ever get to it .I sure do miss them .
I bet you do. Hope they get the red truck sorted out soon.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #60
knomadd

Another option for the pre-bent hard line is Right Stuff Detailing (www.getdiscbrakes.com). Depending on the vehicle they may have OEM steel and Stainless brake lines, and things like fuel line, brake kits etc.

A quick look for 73 C10 showed they only have the front line kit. inline tube might have a more complete offering though.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #61
GAc10boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Another option for the pre-bent hard line is Right Stuff Detailing (www.getdiscbrakes.com). Depending on the vehicle they may have OEM steel and Stainless brake lines, and things like fuel line, brake kits etc.

A quick look for 73 C10 showed they only have the front line kit. inline tube might have a more complete offering though.
Thanks for the suggestion! Really appreciate that.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:24 PM   #62
flashed

And if you ever get the chance to visit Right Stuff Detailing take the tour and see lines being made ,its really cool to see.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #63
GAc10boy

Quote:
And if you ever get the chance to visit Right Stuff Detailing take the tour and see lines being made ,its really cool to see.
I'll do that. Where are they located?

Old 07-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #64
flashed

They are in Ohio and have a nice Camaro collection. We are headed toward Northern Ohio next tuesday night after work for the Chevelle show .Probably stay on the Kentucky side of the bridge just before Cincinatti as hotel rooms are hard to come by there.

Did you see my other post in the later model section ,looking at buying a 93 Indy Pace truck if it works out ,a friend in Nashville is letting it go.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #65
GAc10boy

Quote:
They are in Ohio and have a nice Camaro collection. We are headed toward Northern Ohio next tuesday night after work for the Chevelle show .Probably stay on the Kentucky side of the bridge just before Cincinatti as hotel rooms are hard to come by there.

Did you see my other post in the later model section ,looking at buying a 93 Indy Pace truck if it works out ,a friend in Nashville is letting it go.
I didn't. That's exciting! Has it worked out yet?

Old 07-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #66
GAc10boy

Not much work on the truck lately. Still need to address the brakes and buy some more motor goodies. I'll be picking up my refreshed/reworked 305HO heads for my 307 in the next week or so. Got some Hedman shorty headers as well. My newer, more modern cars have needed a lot of financial attention lately so that's halted some of the progress. Gotta love that!

On the brakes, thinking I'm going to try a 1/4" spacer on the front to see if that will give me the caliper clearance I need. On the rear, I'm just going to have to rebuild the drums with the new cylinders and lines I've purchased (but couldn't get off). The one i tried to rebuild is definitely sticking. I did manage to get Oaky pulled into its new home in the garage. First time this truck has ever been fully covered, I'm sure.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #67
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Hey Robbie, I would vote for the Right Stuff brake lines. I bought a kit from Inline Tube for Betty and they shipped the wrong kit to me. I went back and forth on the phone a few times, finally they stopped responding and never sent me what I needed. So I used a couple of the lines from the kit they sent (it was for a SWB C10 with leafs) and then called Right Stuff. Those guys were very helpful, sent me the right lines for a Suburban and even made me a couple custom lines to work with my rear disc set-up. Going forward I would use them again, however I am planning to just pick up a quality flaring tool and start making my own lines.
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #68
Advanced Design

Is this the place http://www.getdiscbrakes.com ?

I've always made my own lines and it is very time consuming...even with good tools.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #69
bnoon

Excellent patina ride!!!
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #70
GAc10boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number98 View Post
Hey Robbie, I would vote for the Right Stuff brake lines. I bought a kit from Inline Tube for Betty and they shipped the wrong kit to me. I went back and forth on the phone a few times, finally they stopped responding and never sent me what I needed. So I used a couple of the lines from the kit they sent (it was for a SWB C10 with leafs) and then called Right Stuff. Those guys were very helpful, sent me the right lines for a Suburban and even made me a couple custom lines to work with my rear disc set-up. Going forward I would use them again, however I am planning to just pick up a quality flaring tool and start making my own lines.
Hey, Jason. They have the front but not the rear. I think I only want the piece from the frame to the wheel cylinder for the rear anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Is this the place http://www.getdiscbrakes.com ?

I've always made my own lines and it is very time consuming...even with good tools.
That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoon View Post
Excellent patina ride!!!
Thanks! I call it multilayered/patina.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #71
Ben IV

Im loving the looks of this truck. Only thing I would do is fix the hood do somthing different for a rear bumper and maybe paint the wheels and caps. And 307 would be correct, 73 was the last year for that engine. Learned that here http://www.73-87.com/7387info/7387differences.htm
Old 08-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #72
GAc10boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben IV View Post
Im loving the looks of this truck. Only thing I would do is fix the hood do somthing different for a rear bumper and maybe paint the wheels and caps. And 307 would be correct, 73 was the last year for that engine. Learned that here http://www.73-87.com/7387info/7387differences.htm
Thanks for the info and for checking in on this build. I've got some future plans for this truck, including what you mentioned above. I'll keep updating this thread as I work on it but for the moment, my '70 has my attention. But don't worry, this one is dry and safe in my garage.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #73
slowcpe

Truck looks good. Nice little stable you have acquired
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #74
flashed

Im trying to trucknap one of them ......................
Old 08-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #75
GAc10boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Truck looks good. Nice little stable you have acquired
Appreciate it!

Quote:
Im trying to trucknap one of them ......................
Well, you technically have the '70 and the keys right now...